Proposal: Coyle to STL

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Rather trade Staal for picks and rebuild? We are looking at 5 years of suck during 2021-25 when geriatric Suter and Parise tie up 15mil of the cap.

Players who don't hit the window do almost nothing for us, so we might just trade them.
Maybe. Or maybe Suter's still a top-4 LD and Parise's a bottom-6 LW, and $15m tied up on those isn't the handicap it is today. Even today it's manageable if you handle the rest of your contracts well. Or maybe the new CBA eliminates the cap-recapture problem. Or maybe it eliminates the LTIR loophole. Foresight is good, but I dunno that our doom is certain enough to be doubling down in either direction just now.

Reactions: 2Pair

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I don't know, it seemed like he was the second coming whenever his name popped up in proposal with the Habs so I guess that was an overcompensation because it was a Habs proposal?

That's how I based his value. With what you said it's probably a fair deal then.
You probably are confusing Thomas with Thompson. You couldn't pry Thomas out of the Blues hands for anything less than a #1C in a deal.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Are you thinking of Thomas and not Thompson? Robert Thomas is pretty much off the table barring any sort of ludicrous overpayment as he is the first legitimate top 6 center prospect the Blues have had in the better part of a decade and by all indications will be on the team this season as a 19 year old. Thompson is a good-not-great prospect who some Blues fans (and more importantly, the front office) are high on. But, I don’t think anyone would consider him untouchable. I personally don’t think he projects more than a middle/bottom 6 tweener.
No, no , I was talking Thompson. I know the Thomas thread were too much, but I've seen some switching to Thompson and the answer was basically: NHL ready, could be a C , on his way to 30-30. I thought that was too much but maybe like some other poster said that was an agressive overcompensation due to the irritating fact Habs fan were always looking to get Thomas. Good to see a more neutral take.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
No, no , I was talking Thompson. I know the Thomas thread were too much, but I've seen some switching to Thompson and the answer was basically: NHL ready, could be a C , on his way to 30-30. I thought that was too much but maybe like some other poster said that was an agressive overcompensation due to the irritating fact Habs fan were always looking to get Thomas. Good to see a more neutral take.

Probably depends on who the poster was, there are some Blues fans on the trade boards that are a bit out there. I'd definitely include Thompson in a deal for the few Montreal players that were discussed previously. Thompson is not an untouchable prospect.

Reactions: 67Blues

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
You might want to find somebody else to listen to, because that is a brutal take.

Having watched them play together I can't agree at all. Stewart was almost useless along the boards and in his own zone while Coyle is usually very good at both. Coyle's also a much better passer.

Coyle is nothing like Stewart.

Fair enough. I won’t pretend I watch enough of him to know for sure. You guys would know better.

I think he meant in terms of frustration where he has some amazing highs where he looks unstoppable and then has other stretches of where he’s got you shaking your head and wondering where the other guy is. At least that’s how I interpreted it.

But if that’s wrong, hey my apologies and I’ll shut up :laugh:

Reactions: stl76

Goose312

May 15, 2015
To St. Louis:
Charlie Coyle

To Minnesota:
Tage Thompson
2018 2nd

Minnesota is looking to change things up, and it seems Coyle needs a change of scenery. Blues need a RHS RW with experience. Coyle would likely be a fantastic fit with Schwartz-Schenn.
The value's not far off, but Coyle's tough to move without someone else being able to fill his role. He's the Wild's only top 9 right hand shot, and functions well as a depth center when needed, which has been a bit too often to really write off that utility.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fair enough. I won’t pretend I watch enough of him to know for sure. You guys would know better.

I think he meant in terms of frustration where he has some amazing highs where he looks unstoppable and then has other stretches of where he’s got you shaking your head and wondering where the other guy is. At least that’s how I interpreted it.

He’s gotten better in almost all aspects of his game but he’s still an inconsistent scorer, though he improved upon that two years ago as well. Then he was injured pretty much all last season.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The value's not far off, but Coyle's tough to move without someone else being able to fill his role. He's the Wild's only top 9 right hand shot, and functions well as a depth center when needed, which has been a bit too often to really write off that utility.
Stewart had that one big year in Colorado where he almost hit 30 goals, and I don't think that's beyond Coyle as a peak. The biggest difference is that a slumping Coyle is still a useful, reliable player, whereas a slumping Chris Stewart just occupies space (and doesn't even do that as well as you want him to).

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's just not gonna happen. There a few players on your team worth mentioning in the same sentence as parayko and Charles in charge ain't one of them
Don't puff your chest out too far on Parayko, he would be 3rd pair in Minnesota.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Coyle is frustrating because he looks like a dominant first line player at times, showing great hands, while he dominates puck possession and is very physical, but then disappears for weeks on end. He is always a good, to very good two way player, though. Also a decent C.

Stewart is, at best, a third line guy who goes on brief scoring streaks. His hockey IQ and two way play leaves a lot to be desired. For a tough guy, he is also lacking in the physical play department. The only thing he is better at than Coyle is fighting. Coyle is far superior in everything else.

Don't mean to run down Stewart, but he is a borderline NHL player right now. His teammates loved him, though....seemed to be a good guy.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Thompson, and think he has a chance to be something, but would rather keep Coyle. He just does too many things for the team.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

This was probably something you could get closer to a few years ago, when Stewart might have actually existed on the ice outside of a maybe 20' radius in front of the other team's net, and would go cold in the one thing he was good at... but as a 4th liner now, how much scoring do you really count on? All he's got is pretty much shootouts and fights. That's probably where we're coming from on him.

Coyle's reputation for going offensively cold isn't quite accurate either. He doesn't let up defensively, which is where he's just miles apart from Stewart, and the scoring doesn't disappear so much as rarely make it past the repression safeguards: He's Yeo's ultimate creation, a player that perfectly embodies exactly what Yeo wants. When Coyle left the offensive corners with the puck, Yeo smacked him with a rolled-up newspaper. When Coyle went in front of their net, Yeo would grab him by the scruff of his neck and smear his face into the ice shouting "NO! NO!" It's no surprise that Coyle's most memorable goals are from cutting wide and scoring while very much behind the net.

Which leads me away from the comparison and more towards remembering that holy shit, the Blues have Yeo. Getting Coyle would change the team way more than just adding Coyle to the roster. He'll be tried out at every position on the top line, while Yeo will have to stand an additional 3-4" back from the players' bench to avoid serious assault charges from players who just aren't into that kind of thing. Meals served on team flights will be "Charlie's Choice" and the in-flight movies will be just footage of Yeo wearing a comfy sweater and shooting pucks at Coyle in goalie gear while calling him Champ. Yeo thinks kind of highly of him, is all I'm getting at.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Don't puff your chest out too far on Parayko, he would be 3rd pair in Minnesota.
Lol why even post dumb shit like this? :eyeroll:

If the wild were smart, they’d put Parayko next to Suter, have those two shut down opponents for 30 minutes a game, and figure out what to do with Spurgeon/Dumba. Having one of those two play their offside on the second pairing would free up Dumba to take more chances and play a more offensively focused role with Spurgeon there to cover for him defensively.

Regardless tho, as good as Spurgeon and Dumba are, Parayko would not be on the 3rd pair. Get real.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Can someone explain to me why Parayko is better than Spurgeon or Dumba? I’m not seeing it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Can someone explain to me why Parayko is better than Spurgeon or Dumba? I’m not seeing it.

I think he's better defensively than Dumba right now. Dumba is obviously better offensively, so it's probably a wash depending on player preference.

Spurgeon is, at worst, even defensively. Better offensively. But 5'9" instead of 6'5" so there's probably some player preference there too.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

In another post I switched it to the WPG 1st, also Tage is a RHS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->