Proposal: Coyle to STL

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
How about if the pick is changed to the WPG 1st?

I like Coyle but that's an overpayment IMO (not drastically, but still too much). Thompson was a recent 26th overall who shows a lot of promise. Him plus the 29th this year is pretty comparable to what the Blues expected to give up for Schenn (27th overall and another pick presumed to be in the 20s). Philly also agreed to take on an albatross contract for two years.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No idea what this is supposed to do for Minnesota. If a player like Coyle, Zucker or Nino is moved for a prospect I can’t see it being for an all around downgrade in quality.

If one of those guys is moved for a prospect it will be for a guy who is expected to be better than Coyle where the team acquiring Coyle is looking for immediate help the next two years or so.

So yes, imagine a Kyrou or Thomas and a 2nd/3rd/4th pick scenario or this doesn’t happen. And no, St. Louis isn’t close enough to the cup to make that deal.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I like Coyle but that's an overpayment IMO (not drastically, but still too much). Thompson was a recent 26th overall who shows a lot of promise. Him plus the 29th this year is pretty comparable to what the Blues expected to give up for Schenn (27th overall and another pick presumed to be in the 20s). Philly also agreed to take on an albatross contract for two years.

While it may be a tad bit too much, they would be trading him within the division. I wouldn’t be upset about the deal. I think he’d bounce back to be a 55-60 point player with Schwartz and Schenn.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If St Louis wants Coyle, Minny would want Parayko back.
For a guy who plays sheltered minutes and is a middling defenseman at best, his name sure does come up in a lot of trade offers. Are NHL teams being that nice to the Blues to take him off their hands?

Reactions: stl76

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
No idea what this is supposed to do for Minnesota. If a player like Coyle, Zucker or Nino is moved for a prospect I can’t see it being for an all around downgrade in quality.

If one of those guys is moved for a prospect it will be for a guy who is expected to be better than Coyle where the team acquiring Coyle is looking for immediate help the next two years or so.

So yes, imagine a Kyrou or Thomas and a 2nd/3rd/4th pick scenario or this doesn’t happen. And no, St. Louis isn’t close enough to the cup to make that deal.

Thompson is a very solid prospect, who is also NHL ready, and you’d also be getting a late 1st with it.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago

Most NHL folks see the Blues as having 4 very good forward prospects. Thomas, Kyrou, Thompson, and Kostin. This trade offer was Thompson and a 2nd, so.... there you go.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
While it may be a tad bit too much, they would be trading him within the division. I wouldn’t be upset about the deal. I think he’d bounce back to be a 55-60 point player with Schwartz and Schenn.

He's likely going to bounce back to be a 50-60 point player, playing with whoever he'll be playing with here.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Thompson is a very solid prospect, who is also NHL ready, and you’d also be getting a late 1st with it.
Most NHL folks see the Blues as having 4 very good forward prospects. Thomas, Kyrou, Thompson, and Kostin. This trade offer was Thompson and a 2nd, so.... there you go.

Yes and there is nothing about Thompson that gives me any confidence he'll even be as good as Coyle let alone better. This is an established guy who will likely score 50-60 for the next few years barring more weird injuries. Not to mention we'd also be trading our only right handed shot in the top-9 to a division rival? Long story short, if the Blues want Coyle, they're going to have to impress the hell out of the Wild with an offer.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Yes and there is nothing about Thompson that gives me any confidence he'll even be as good as Coyle let alone better. This is an established guy who will likely score 50-60 for the next few years barring more weird injuries. Not to mention we'd also be trading our only right handed shot in the top-9 to a division rival? Long story short, if the Blues want Coyle, they're going to have to impress the hell out of the Wild with an offer.

Totally fair, just want to make clear that Thompson isn't some throwaway prospect. He's viewed pretty highly by the Blues organization. Fans here have a tendency to ask for the best 1 or 2 prospects a team has and disregard everybody else as worthless. Teams rarely move the top guys in their system.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Isn't Thompson on his way to become a similar player to Coyle?

He'd be similar to Coyle if he got to about 95% of his ceiling so no, not really. If Thompson turned out to be as good as Coyle, any Blues fan would be ecstatic. He's realistically going to be a 45-55 point player if things go well-really well in his development.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
He'd be similar to Coyle if he got to about 95% of his ceiling so no, not really. If Thompson turned out to be as good as Coyle, any Blues fan would be ecstatic. He's realistically going to be a 45-55 point player if things go well-really well in his development.
I don't know, it seemed like he was the second coming whenever his name popped up in proposal with the Habs so I guess that was an overcompensation because it was a Habs proposal?

That's how I based his value. With what you said it's probably a fair deal then.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago

I don't think it's an unrealistic hope for Thompson at all. He is 20 and should have been playing in the AHL all of last year to get used to the pros and bulk up, but the Blues minor league situation was a mess and they lacked depth in the NHL. Once he adds muscle and grows into his considerable frame he's going to have a lot more confidence on the ice. He could be a 3rd liner or he could be an absolute force.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't know, it seemed like he was the second coming whenever his name popped up in proposal with the Habs so I guess that was an overcompensation because it was a Habs proposal?

That's how I based his value. With what you said it's probably a fair deal then.

I'm not sure if he was advertised as the second coming. I think for a lot, it is just a matter of not trading a RW for a LW, not a bias against Habs players. Although towards the end of the 100th Patches for Thomas + 1st it may have been.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I think in the habs thread it was Rob Thomas being discussed instead of Tage Thompson. Thomas the center is untouchable to the Center lacking blues. Thompson the winger we like but would definitely trade him for someone who could fill a need.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
I think in the habs thread it was Rob Thomas being discussed instead of Tage Thompson. Thomas the center is untouchable to the Center lacking blues. Thompson the winger we like but would definitely trade him for someone who could fill a need.

Yeah I don't think many Blues fans would consider Thompson untouchable. I quite like him as a prospect, but I think he has several years of development ahead of him before he gets there. If the Blues can move him for a guy a few years older who can help in the more immediate term I'm ok with it. We have players ready to win now.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The value might be there or close to it but that doesn't entice me to move CC if I'm Minnesota.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
To St. Louis:
Charlie Coyle

To Minnesota:
Tage Thompson
2018 2nd

No thanks.

Reasons:
- Thompson is a nice prospect, but we need performance next season. Coyle will give 20+20 minimum.
- Forward prospect pipeline is full with Greenway/Kunin/Ek/Sokolov/Kaprisov. Adding yet another future forward to the pile does nothing.

We need next season upgrades at expense of several future players. We have 6 lines of mediocre forward assets already.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
That’s actually like the last thing we need.

Rather trade Staal for picks and rebuild? We are looking at 5 years of suck during 2021-25 when geriatric Suter and Parise tie up 15mil of the cap.

Players who don't hit the window do almost nothing for us, so we might just trade them.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

Are you thinking of Thomas and not Thompson? Robert Thomas is pretty much off the table barring any sort of ludicrous overpayment as he is the first legitimate top 6 center prospect the Blues have had in the better part of a decade and by all indications will be on the team this season as a 19 year old. Thompson is a good-not-great prospect who some Blues fans (and more importantly, the front office) are high on. But, I don’t think anyone would consider him untouchable. I personally don’t think he projects more than a middle/bottom 6 tweener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad