CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
To St. Louis:
Charlie Coyle

To Minnesota:
Tage Thompson
2018 2nd

Minnesota is looking to change things up, and it seems Coyle needs a change of scenery. Blues need a RHS RW with experience. Coyle would likely be a fantastic fit with Schwartz-Schenn.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
To St. Louis:
Charlie Coyle

To Minnesota:
Tage Thompson
2018 2nd

Minnesota is looking to change things up, and it seems Coyle needs a change of scenery. Blues need a RHS RW with experience. Coyle would likely be a fantastic fit with Schwartz-Schenn.
I think Minnesota passes. Many Wild fans have grown frustrated with his inconsistencies (and I'm no exception), but Coyle is still the only right-shot forward the Wild have. Thompson would give us another righty, but at 20 years old he'd be in the same boat as Kunin: plenty of promise, but not someone you can really count on to fill Coyle's skates next season.

There's also the fact that we'd be selling pretty low on Coyle after a down year where he played through multiple injuries. I don't think he'd be impossible to pry loose, but in general we're probably better off hanging on to him.

Reactions: bukwas

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
That's overpayment. Coyle is solid, but he's not even the type of player you can count on for 20 goals unless you're expecting an unusually late-career breakout. Thompson has serious potential to have a similar impact very soon. I'm also concerned about Coyle's dip in shot-rate. If he can stay healthy and bounce back in that regard, that's fine, but it's not an insignificant risk for that cost. If the Blues are acquiring players for scoring lines (especially if they're dealing away assets that valuable), they need to be reliable shooters whose shot-rates are definitely steady or rising.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
From everything I’ve heard, Charlie Coyle is very much like Chris Stewart for better and for worse in terms of his play.

I would pass as a Blues fan.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
From everything I’ve heard, Charlie Coyle is very much like Chris Stewart for better and for worse in terms of his play.

Having watched them play together I can't agree at all. Stewart was almost useless along the boards and in his own zone while Coyle is usually very good at both. Coyle's also a much better passer.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's overpayment. Coyle is solid, but he's not even the type of player you can count on for 20 goals unless you're expecting an unusually late-career breakout. Thompson has serious potential to have a similar impact very soon. I'm also concerned about Coyle's dip in shot-rate. If he can stay healthy and bounce back in that regard, that's fine, but it's not an insignificant risk for that cost. If the Blues are acquiring players for scoring lines (especially if they're dealing away assets that valuable), they need to be reliable shooters whose shot-rates are definitely steady or rising.
Not to make excuses, but it sounds like his lack of shooting this year was due largely to torn ligaments in both thumbs. Probably not something that will hamper him in the future.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Not to make excuses, but it sounds like his lack of shooting this year was due largely to torn ligaments in both thumbs. Probably not something that will hamper him in the future.

How probable is that?

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017

Are you a wild fan? If you are I want to shake your hand because you’re the first fan in the history of message boards that I’ve seen say a trade was overpayment to their team.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How probable is that?
As far as I know it's an injury that heals pretty reliably, but I could be wrong. Coyle's health in general is pretty solid: he takes his dings here and there, but it's rarely something that causes him to miss games. This year was something of an outlier in that regard. He didn't miss a game in the previous 3 seasons.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
To St. Louis:
Charlie Coyle

To Minnesota:
Tage Thompson
2018 2nd

Not close

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

You might want to find somebody else to listen to, because that is a brutal take.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
To St. Louis:
Charlie Coyle

To Minnesota:
Tage Thompson
2018 2nd

Yeah, not enough and doesn't address anything for MIN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad