Injury Report: Charlie Coyle, broken fibula (Update: expected back "this week")

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It was from a Spurgeon shot right? Seems like a pretty serious injury from just the puck
Just the puck? Those things aren't soft you know. Remember when we had a rash of players breaking bones in their feet from "just the puck" hitting their skates when blocking shots?

The puck hits where padding doesn't exist, bones break frequently! That's why Ennis was lucky in the pre-season that all he needed was stiches when he took that puck to the face!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Just the puck? Those things aren't soft you know. Remember when we had a rash of players breaking bones in their feet from "just the puck" hitting their skates when blocking shots?

The puck hits where padding doesn't exist, bones break frequently! That's why Ennis was lucky in the pre-season that all he needed was stiches when he took that puck to the face!

Not to mention that even a soft NHL shot travels at highway driving speeds. If you've ever pushed someone out of a snowbank or the mud and been hit with a rock or ice it stings and that is only around 20 mph.

I remember watching a Brewers game a couple of years ago when Stanton took a pitch to the face and did major damage. Thinking of the puck Ennis took.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I understand that a shot off a skate can break someone's foot....

Can anyone remember off the top of their head someone's fibula getting broken from a puck? Seems quite rare

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I understand that a shot off a skate can break someone's foot....

Can anyone remember off the top of their head someone's fibula getting broken from a puck? Seems quite rare
It's rare because of the padding on the front, but there is no padding in the back where the puck hit.

The same place Koivu had his leg broken by Ohlund with a stick slash.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
take your time, Charlie! We could use you, but make sure everything is right.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm curious to see what the lineup will be when Coyle gets back. An argument could be made to put him on any of the top-3 FWD lines.
-Staal line: bump Zucker/Nino to Koivu's line, bump Ennis somewhere else. (I still don't know where he fits in the lineup)
-Koivu line: bump Ennis somewhere else.
-3rd line: Maybe 3C with JEE/Kunin as his wings, or one of JEE/Kunin go to Iowa?

I guess when Coyle comes off LTIR, they will put Parise on LTIR and backdate it. Otherwise there isn't any wiggle room for a pressbox FWD for road trips.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ennis should get off the Koivu line, but i don't know if Coyle is a fit there. Also don't see breaking up Staal, Nino, and Zucker. They are deadly. If Coyle goes with Granlund and MK, then he's got to be told to shoot the damn puck at every opportunity. It has to be impressed on Coyle that we've got plenty of gritty foot soldiers. We need skill and scoring.

Nevertheless, a good problem to have.

Man, if we get Parise back at anything like his old self (it can happen, look at Koivu and Staal) then this team is gonna be good.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm curious to see what the lineup will be when Coyle gets back. An argument could be made to put him on any of the top-3 FWD lines.
-Staal line: bump Zucker/Nino to Koivu's line, bump Ennis somewhere else. (I still don't know where he fits in the lineup)
-Koivu line: bump Ennis somewhere else.
-3rd line: Maybe 3C with JEE/Kunin as his wings, or one of JEE/Kunin go to Iowa?

I guess when Coyle comes off LTIR, they will put Parise on LTIR and backdate it. Otherwise there isn't any wiggle room for a pressbox FWD for road trips.
They might start him at wing, but my money's on Coyle being the 3C sooner rather than later. I think the Nino-Staal-Zucker line stays intact for the immediate future, Granlund stays with Koivu, and beyond that it's a crapshoot as to who's with who.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ennis should get off the Koivu line, but i don't know if Coyle is a fit there. Also don't see breaking up Staal, Nino, and Zucker. They are deadly. If Coyle goes with Granlund and MK, then he's got to be told to shoot the damn puck at every opportunity. It has to be impressed on Coyle that we've got plenty of gritty foot soldiers. We need skill and scoring.

Nevertheless, a good problem to have.

Man, if we get Parise back at anything like his old self (it can happen, look at Koivu and Staal) then this team is gonna be good.

I agree Parise/Koivu/Granny should be a really good 2-way line. Parise doesn't need to be told to shoot.

The only 2 wings that really drive play right now are Nino and Zucker. It would be nice if they could be separated to make 2 strong lines. Parise used to be that way. If he can return to good form, the Wild could have one on each of the top-3 lines. Just keep Coyle and Parise on separate lines.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I would like to try something like...
Nino - Koivu - Coyle (shutdown, physicality)
Zucker - Staal - Granny (scoring)
Kunin- JEEK - Parise
Foligno - Cullen - Stewart
Ennis

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I would like to try something like...
Nino - Koivu - Coyle (shutdown, physicality)
Zucker - Staal - Granny (scoring)
Kunin- JEEK - Parise
Foligno - Cullen - Stewart
Ennis

The cap doesn't work with that FWD group and 7 d-men. That means one of Olofsson, Reilly (I think he's waiver eligible now?), or Quincey needs to go through waivers. Or Ennis is put through waivers (it would do the Wild a favor if someone grabbed him) and send him to Iowa.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think we'd be nutz to break up Staal, Nino, and Zucker the way they are playing now.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think we'd be nutz to break up Staal, Nino, and Zucker the way they are playing now.
Bruce already did that. For me, it's prety obvious that you go with-
Zucker - Koivu - Granlund
Niederreiter - Staal - Coyle

Send one of the rookies down, let the other one center the 3rd line and see if a little competition can't get them to actually start playing good hockey. With the exception of Winnik, the rest of the forwards are pretty much interchangeable junk right now.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Oh cap and everything.. just threw names there. Yeah, well probably Parise won't be back too soon.

And guess right now it's just best to ride with the hot hand.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Bruce already did that. For me, it's prety obvious that you go with-
Zucker - Koivu - Granlund
Niederreiter - Staal - Coyle

Send one of the rookies down, let the other one center the 3rd line and see if a little competition can't get them to actually start playing good hockey. With the exception of Winnik, the rest of the forwards are pretty much interchangeable junk right now.

Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad