Cox's take

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

Damien Cox offers his assessment of the players level of control over their leadership in this article.

Whether under Eagleson or Goodenow, NHL players have yet to forcibly and permanently grab control of their own union, one founded on some very worthy principles 38 years ago. It cost them in the pre-1990 era and it has cost them again.

Oilhitch

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
This is quite the situation for both sides.

The ownership have been very clear from day one on what it would take to end the lockout.

The players have been spewing union rhetoric from day one.

Within the last month, with the reports of an agreed salary cap, the players have changed their tune. "We need to do whats good for the game".

The onwers need the players, not only to play the game but they need to be able to sell and market the players. Now I just shake my head when I read some garbage about how "the players saved the game", or "the players will set us free". Realistically what else can they say?

The players knew the resolve of the owners right from the beginning. I hope that we are on the home strech of this ordeal. It is easy to sit on the sidelines and say "this all could have been avoided if the players agreed to a salary cap last fall"

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Oilhitch said:
This is quite the situation for both sides.

The ownership have been very clear from day one on what it would take to end the lockout.

The players have been spewing union rhetoric from day one.

Within the last month, with the reports of an agreed salary cap, the players have changed their tune. "We need to do whats good for the game".

The onwers need the players, not only to play the game but they need to be able to sell and market the players. Now I just shake my head when I read some garbage about how "the players saved the game", or "the players will set us free". Realistically what else can they say?

The players knew the resolve of the owners right from the beginning. I hope that we are on the home strech of this ordeal. It is easy to sit on the sidelines and say "this all could have been avoided if the players agreed to a salary cap last fall"

If only the players came to this realization way back in August/September 2004. Instead, they bought Goodenow's "the owners will cave" strategy, and it blew up in their face.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Hindsight. The NHLPA's duty was to work for the best possible deal. Underestimating the ownership resolve was a mistake, but without being able to see into the future I don't see how they could do anything differently. It's a shame that many fans take the "blame the players" stance, and I think the players do deserve credit for yielding so much. I've believed the ownership position from the start in this, but in no way has the situation affected my opinion of the players, and I'll be happy to cheer loudly for them when they return.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
ceber said:
The NHLPA's duty was to work for the best possible deal.

People should always remember that the deal that gives them most money is not necessarily the best deal for NHLPA, money is just one of the issues (albeit the biggest one).

Not disagreeing with you, just pointing it out.

StanTheMan

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
ceber said:
Hindsight. The NHLPA's duty was to work for the best possible deal. Underestimating the ownership resolve was a mistake, but without being able to see into the future I don't see how they could do anything differently. It's a shame that many fans take the "blame the players" stance, and I think the players do deserve credit for yielding so much. I've believed the ownership position from the start in this, but in no way has the situation affected my opinion of the players, and I'll be happy to cheer loudly for them when they return.

Excellent post.
It's so easy for us to sit here in our comfortable rooms/apartments/homes and speculate, full of emotion and like little kids who have had their ball taken away from them.
The only thing that can be said for hindsight is that if anyone is paying attention, may be it can instruct for the future.
For me, I believed the owners from the start (the last couple of years) when they said the economics of the game were so bad that the game would go down. The 'players' lead by Goodnow did not. These were the hands that were played out.
As for the fans and how this has hurt the fans the most, I wonder which fans are these, the fanatics, those truly obsessed with their team? I think that's only a small portions of the fan base. Most of us have many other things to do in our lives and have maybe discovered a few more over the last year. We enjoy and love the sport and our teams, but in hindsight, my life has not suffered significantly ecause of this stoppage. I miss the game and the transactions and the rumors and the intercourse with other fans, but I'm okay. And when they get a deal done, I'll be back wondering who is going to get signed where, who will be drafted, and when are my season preview mags coming out.

Spungo*

StanTheMan said:
I miss the game and the transactions and the rumors and the intercourse with other fans

Intercourse with other fans, eh? No wonder you are a fan.

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
Great comment oil...

The players had a single strategy, break the backs of the NHL and force the League to give them what they wanted.

To say that this isn't their fault because there was no way to know how that strategy was going to play out makes zero sense. Here's a bunch of guys who are getting fantastically increased paychecks over the last 10 years and while they command over 70% of the revenues the fabricate a strategy that seeks to fold the owners?

What was at fault and remains so today is their mental mindest that allowed them to even conjur up this strategy. Its a sick minded bunch of people who (the players) have so much and then hold a gun to the game's head (our game) in order to get what they want.

The NHLPA needs to find a soul (after they fire Goodenow), cuz these heartless bastards, who have each already won life's lottery, just blew away our game for an entire year due to their arrogant self-centered greed.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
ceber said:

Great post. I have been relatively pro-NHL during the lockout. I do want to give credit to the players for not "throwing good money after bad" by demanding a "victory" after foregoing a year of salary.

It's very easy to say - "Hey, I just gave up $1.8MM, and I it's completely unacceptable to end up giving in on the major issues we were fighting for - no cap, no linkage, etc.". Thank god that cooler heads prevailed and it's (hopefully) not about ego at this point.

Spungo*

PepNCheese said:
Some people realize that the sexual connotation of the term is only one use of it.

And some people realize that human beings on this planet sometimes make things called jokes.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Spungo said:
And some people realize that human beings on this planet sometimes make things called jokes.

Jokes should be funny. That one just made you look ignorant.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
R0CKET said:
Great comment oil...

The players had a single strategy, break the backs of the NHL and force the League to give them what they wanted.

To say that this isn't their fault because there was no way to know how that strategy was going to play out makes zero sense. Here's a bunch of guys who are getting fantastically increased paychecks over the last 10 years and while they command over 70% of the revenues the fabricate a strategy that seeks to fold the owners?

What was at fault and remains so today is their mental mindest that allowed them to even conjur up this strategy. Its a sick minded bunch of people who (the players) have so much and then hold a gun to the game's head (our game) in order to get what they want.

The NHLPA needs to find a soul (after they fire Goodenow), cuz these heartless bastards, who have each already won life's lottery, just blew away our game for an entire year due to their arrogant self-centered greed.
Truer words were never written.

I agree with everything you have to say here.

I think it's that same mindset that has contributed to the state of the sport in general.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
R0CKET said:
Great comment oil...

:biglaugh:

Wow thats one funny post. Does your envy run so deep it effect your thinking?

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
It was incumbent on the players if they were going to take such a stand to fully acquaint themselves with the all issues from both sides perspective. No stone should have been left unturned. No bridge should have been avoided that would have helped mend the mistrust that eventually had to be overcome in order to strike a deal.

Declining the league’s invitations to look at the books (or whatever information was available for those who still dispute this) or declining to review things like Levitt’s report was flat out wrong in my opinion regardless of philosophical mindsets. They would have learned more about what was fact and fiction with their negotiating adversary and vice-versa. The process would have helped to draw more details of the issues that divided them out into the open.

And none of that is really specific to a hockey union. Nor is it hindsight. It applies to all unions and many other disputes in life. The players handled this badly.

That is not concluding that this dispute is ALL the players fault. It isn’t. Nor are the players the only losers here. The owners and fans have lost big time too.

But on this general issue, I agree with Cox. The players messed up.

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
JWI19 said:
:biglaugh:

Wow thats one funny post. Does your envy run so deep it effect your thinking?

Dude I have abosolutely nothe to be envious of these Jack-holes.

I love the game and am sincerely pissed.

Get a clue, its not about envy.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
ceber said:
Hindsight. The NHLPA's duty was to work for the best possible deal. Underestimating the ownership resolve was a mistake, but without being able to see into the future I don't see how they could do anything differently.

It's not hindsight. Myself and numerous others were pointing out in September that their best deal was to sign something right away. Get it done, don't lose any money this season, and let the owners natural greed and competiveness drive up salaries in the future, just like last time.

Hindsight. Bah. :shakehead

Spungo*

PepNCheese said:
Jokes should be funny. That one just made you look ignorant.

No, not realizing it even was a joke makes *you* look like a complete moron.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
PecaFan said:
It's not hindsight. Myself and numerous others were pointing out in September that their best deal was to sign something right away. Get it done, don't lose any money this season, and let the owners natural greed and competiveness drive up salaries in the future, just like last time.

Hindsight. Bah. :shakehead

Yourself and numerous others were theorizing that the best deal was available in September. Just because events turned out the way they did doesn't mean the players should've caved right away.

larue*

Gee Wally said:
the next one that launches a personal shot/flame of another poster in this thread will not be here when the league returns.

Oh come on Gee Wally let them take the gloves off and go at it. "Lets get ready to rumble"

SENSible1*

ceber said:
Yourself and numerous others were theorizing that the best deal was available in September. Just because events turned out the way they did doesn't mean the players should've caved right away.

But it sure does feel good to have been right. ;)

King_Brown

If the players actually had the information, and actually went over thoroughly the financials of the teams, and had a audit performed we would not in this mess. They didn't gather proper information, and took a stance of no cap, no linkage, we don't trust or belive you. When the fact is how many of these owners are the ones that screwed the players back in the day? Bob Goodenow kept them out of the loop, and now finally after looking over accounting practices of the teams, the numbers, they have agreed to linkage and a cap. Had they actually done there homework, and told Goodenow to do his job, and collect all information, they would of known that owners where serious, and the league is not in good shape, and we might of been in a different situation. LIke I said before Goodenow will go with Eagleson for screweing the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad