#CoxBlocked

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I still don't get the obsession with being the team of the "Rockies". That would be like saying we are the team of California because our territory is larger than what the other teams have (not saying its true, just an example). What matters is BODIES and the most bodies who live in the Rocky Mountains obviously live in Colorado and are part of Avalanche territory. Its not even close really, this is just silly marketing BS. Rookie mistake made by management to get all caught up in this we want a big footprint drive.

They always made sense to be Utah's team and frankly that's all that matters because that is the one outside market with valuable TV households. If that was really the impetus to pick AT&T/Root that's crazy. The NHL by defining the market gives the networks there no choice but to cut a deal, or just go with no hockey. No one in Montana or Idaho are going to care what team is on the tube, they aren't changing their allegiances in any numbers because its VGK on 80 times a season. Right now I haven't a clue what/who they show out there, but who cares, its so few viewers it doesn't matter.

The bottom line is/was that they need to focus on Las Vegas and that's it. Footprints don't matter, households do and unfortunately for a Las Vegas franchise the market is limited. Unlike almost any other franchise you drive 45 minutes outside the city and there is nothing and no one. They don't get the benefit others do of having exurbs and at least some towns a few hours away that can drive to a game and support TV ratings. They didn't deal with it well and they will have to pay the price.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I still don't get the obsession with being the team of the "Rockies". That would be like saying we are the team of California because our territory is larger than what the other teams have (not saying its true, just an example). What matters is BODIES and the most bodies who live in the Rocky Mountains obviously live in Colorado and are part of Avalanche territory. Its not even close really, this is just silly marketing BS. Rookie mistake made by management to get all caught up in this we want a big footprint drive.

They always made sense to be Utah's team and frankly that's all that matters because that is the one outside market with valuable TV households. If that was really the impetus to pick AT&T/Root that's crazy. The NHL by defining the market gives the networks there no choice but to cut a deal, or just go with no hockey. No one in Montana or Idaho are going to care what team is on the tube, they aren't changing their allegiances in any numbers because its VGK on 80 times a season. Right now I haven't a clue what/who they show out there, but who cares, its so few viewers it doesn't matter.

The bottom line is/was that they need to focus on Las Vegas and that's it. Footprints don't matter, households do and unfortunately for a Las Vegas franchise the market is limited. Unlike almost any other franchise you drive 45 minutes outside the city and there is nothing and no one. They don't get the benefit others do of having exurbs and at least some towns a few hours away that can drive to a game and support TV ratings. They didn't deal with it well and they will have to pay the price.

I'm not worried about the whole one-sided geographic rivalry that's developing between Vegas and everyone else in the Knights territory. When everything's said and done, they're playing at least 44 games a year in Las Vegas. Who cares that two guys skated with some kids in Coeur d'Alene?

I'm not freaking out until AT&T Sportsnet Rocky Mountain is available on the standard package in Las Vegas on DirecTv and not Cox. As of today, you've still got to get the $125 Pay-For-Everything package to get it on DirecTV in Las Vegas.

Plus, there's nothing Golden Knights on the network right now anyways. They're literally showing Tulsa football and World Series of Poker right now, zero hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad