#CoxBlocked is over!

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Day #1 without the Knights on Cox. There's nothing we can do about the team's stupid decision since that's already inked on a contract, so it falls onto Cox in my opinion.

Feel free to post coupons/discounts for people that want to switch to DirecTV from Cox.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
As someone living in Los Angeles, I'd just like to add that this is more similar to the Lakers TV deal than the Dodgers one. When the Lakers were shopping around for a new TV deal, they settled with Time Warner Cable, who created a new channel that had to be added to all of the other cable providers. The negotiations with DirecTV and others went on for a while, and several games were missed after the start of the regular season, but they eventually settled and the Lakers channel was everywhere about a month into the season.

The Dodgers channel is a whole other mess. When they made their deal with Time Warner, it seemed like it would have made SO much more sense to put them on the same channel as the Lakers, since that network was already on all of the providers and the baseball and basketball seasons don't really overlap at all. But instead, in their infinite wisdom, Time Warner created ANOTHER channel and then had to go back around asking all of the providers to pay for that one too - and that's where DirecTV and the others put their foot down, and rightfully so.

I'm a DirecTV subscriber, and I was forced into getting the Lakers channel, because it's on the same tier as NBC Sports and NHL Network, which I need to have. My bill has a "Regional Sports Fee" surcharge every month - it started at about $3 when the Lakers channel was first added, but now it's up to around $7. I guess the good thing is that the Lakers channel also shows the Sparks (WNBA) and Galaxy (MLS), plus some college games as well - but their lack of additional programming means they fill a lot of time with shows about the Lakers. From everything I've heard, that Dodgers channel is pretty much 24/7 Dodgers, and when they're not showing games, they're talking about the Dodgers or running documentaries about the Dodgers. At some point, the only way I can see the Dodgers deal getting done with DirecTV is if Time Warner finally agrees to let DTV and others put the Dodgers channel on one of the premium tiers so that their fans can at least have the option to pay the extra amount every month to see the team.

Simply put: the reason the Dodgers deal isn't getting done is because Time Warner already asked the other providers to pay for the Lakers channel first, and the Dodgers came in after that. I'm more optimistic about the VGK deal with Cox because there wasn't a precedent already set in the market (like the Lakers in LA) and it's just a matter of finding a good price point that both sides can agree with.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
You beat me to it! Maybe too late for tonight, but I rejoice at this miracle!! :thumbu::thumbu:!:thumbu:

But here's the thing - tonight's game is on NHL Network. So we REALLY need Cox to come out and make a statement, that if the channel is not in place for tonight's game that they can lift the blackout on NHL Network for their subscribers. Going to be very interesting to see what happens.

EDIT: I'm going to guess that Cox already has everything in place (channel assignment, etc) since they've been negotiating for so long. Hope they make that press release soon.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Okay, now let's move on to Playstation Vue so I can watch. #PlayStationCan'tVue? :laugh:

This is awesome news for everyone.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
But here's the thing - tonight's game is on NHL Network. So we REALLY need Cox to come out and make a statement, that if the channel is not in place for tonight's game that they can lift the blackout on NHL Network for their subscribers. Going to be very interesting to see what happens.

EDIT: I'm going to guess that Cox already has everything in place (channel assignment, etc) since they've been negotiating for so long. Hope they make that press release soon.

Would love to be able to watch this very first game, but at this point I'm just satisfied that we will be able to get the other games. I'm not too demanding...unless, of course, Cox makes ATT SportsNet a premium channel with an outlandish price tag. We'll see.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Tonight's game in on NHL Network, so we might still have a chance if the blackout is temporarily lifted.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHLN will be blacked out in LV unless the powers that be change things around. Was planning on calling to get Center Ice this afternoon. So maybe I'll get the channel #, etc.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I recall them lifting the blackout for one of the preseason games that were on NHLN. Did that happen, or am I just imagining a possibility that didn't actually come through?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
NHLN will be blacked out in LV unless the powers that be change things around. Was planning on calling to get Center Ice this afternoon. So maybe I'll get the channel #, etc.

I've had Center Ice (and now NHL.TV) for many years and it's great - but if you live in Vegas, ALL of the Golden Knights games will be blacked out. The cool thing about NHL.TV is that if you're traveling somewhere, you'd be able to watch the VGK games no matter where you were.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I recall them lifting the blackout for one of the preseason games that were on NHLN. Did that happen, or am I just imagining a possibility that didn't actually come through?

I think that failed. Cox thought they could get around not having AT&T SN since the 1st preseason game was on NHLN, not realizing that the game would be blacked out (which I believe it was). Jesse Granger mentioned this on the Rink Rats podcast.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

For a one-time exception you would think the first professional sports team event in Las Vegas history would be a good enough reason? Only the lawyers would get in the way of it.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Living in Washington with DirecTV, I'm able to watch ATT-RM with no issues except when the Knights are on NHL Network. Then, ATT-RM is blacked out.

Not a huge deal, as long as I can see the game. But, I'd love to watch the team on their home channel, with their local commercials. Makes me feel like I'm living in Las Vegas and enjoying the team at home. Probably sounds dumb, I know, but, I'm weird like that.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Living in Washington with DirecTV, I'm able to watch ATT-RM with no issues except when the Knights are on NHL Network. Then, ATT-RM is blacked out.

Not a huge deal, as long as I can see the game. But, I'd love to watch the team on their home channel, with their local commercials. Makes me feel like I'm living in Las Vegas and enjoying the team at home. Probably sounds dumb, I know, but, I'm weird like that.

I'm curious to see which feed the NHL Network will be showing tonight - they don't have their own broadcasters, so they just pick one of the two and go with it. Because of the passing of Dave Strader, I'd imagine the Dallas feed is going to be wrought with emotion tonight.

I have center ice, shouldn’t I be able to watch the Dallas feed?

If you live in Vegas, the Dallas feed is blacked out. And I believe you'll only get the Vegas feed if you already have AT&T RM on your cable package. If memory serves, I had the option of watching Kings/Ducks games through Center Ice or Fox Sports when I had Center Ice on DirecTV, because I had the tier that included the two Fox Sports channels.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yeah, the commentators/feed they choose will be very interesting.

I'd have guaranteed they'd have gone with AT&T with the first game hype/Vegas situation, but Dallas might wind up winning out being the home team and with the passing of The Voice.

Reactions: Sir Goose

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
That sounds correct. I have Cox so I just wanted to make sure that it’s not blacked out on NHL Network. So tomorrow I should be able to watch it on the new network as long as the switch is flipped.

Reactions: Sir Goose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad