Cox - Talks expected to resume Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Back to the original issue...since there are already threads debating the merits of awarding the Cup after a shortened season...

I would far prefer the NHL operate under a cap than a luxury tax and this idea does nothing to eliminate my reservations about the idea. So the NHLPA is supposed to refund money to the NHL IF salaries go over a certain level. Sounds like a loophole waiting to happen. KISS.

The owners need to stick to their guns now and get a cap. Otherwise we will go through this whole mess again in a few years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Cup's not half-full, it's empty

It's hard for an optimist to stay upbeat about the ongoing NHL labour war.
I'm an eternal optimist.

When it rains, I don't pain for sunshine and I don't mind getting wet.

And when it's cold, I don't long for a sunny, tropical beach.

I say this because when it comes to the NHL lockout, I can't find a proverbial silver lining in any cloud in the sky. All I see are dark gloomy storm clouds on the horizon, the type that make you wonder whether it's worth braving the elements.

Just consider the events before and after the latest conclusion of contract talks on Wednesday between the NHL and the NHL Players' Association.

Roll the tape back to September when NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman outlined the league's goals in negotiations. "This game's future depends upon getting the right economic system," Bettman said at the time. "In the absence of such a system, there is no future for our game."

As the lockout continued, Bettman never wavered from wanting the "right system" and that's getting a linkage between salaries and revenues, otherwise known as salary cap.

The NHLPA, meanwhile, has remained true to its word and has constantly rejected any thought of a cap on salaries.

Representatives from the owners and players met from time to time over the next few months. They'd talk about their proposals and then shoot them down in flames.

Read ON:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp?content=20050202_213000_5940

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
BLONG7 said:
Talks to resume Monday??? WTF is wrong with these morons??? What about Saturday and Sunday...Gary,Bob, in case you two morons haven't noticed the league is on life support and your jobs are in jepordy...fire these two puddin' heads and let's get on with it... :banghead: :mad:

See talks broke down because Bob thought Philly would win and Gary had the Pats. So they settled it the old fashion way. Bob has the Eagles + 7.5 point If they cover there wont be a luxury err salary cap tax. Gary has the Pats -7.5 and if they cover he gets his cap.

Last edited:

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
JWI19 said:
See talks broke down because Bob thought Philly would win and Gary had the Pats. So they settled it the old fashion way. Bob has the Eagles + 7.5 point If they cover there wont be a luxury tax. Gary has the Pats -7.5 and if they cover he gets his cap.

what's funny is that wouldn't surprise me in the least. If they really do get back at it on Monday, I think that we'll know that you're correct.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
waffledave said:
He's making it up. He's not right in the sense that he knows this will happen.

HOWEVER...He is making an educated guess, and you have to hand it to him...He makes sense. What he's saying is entirely possible.

It is interesting though if you read the NY Post article that he refers to in the comments section....

Thats the first time I've seen any real published article somewhat backup what he's saying.....

Interesting don't you think????

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
Lou is God said:
If their is a season I really hope that the cup does not go to either a team winning it for the first time or a long suffering team that is on a cupless drought like the Leafs or Flyers only because their fans will endure the talk of winning a tarnished cup and that's the only way they could win one while a team that has won it before recently(Bolts, Wings, Av's, Devils) would still hear talk about them winning a cheap cup but at least we would be able to say we have done it in a full season so go shove it.

I know alot of posters here for example who I consider them my boys who are either Flyer or Kings fans and while I'm sure they would exult to winning the cup in a strike shorten season as this I imagine that they also are in the back of their minds wary of such a achievment that they probably would prefer doing in a full season, and one that I wouldn't shortchange but one that I know many will around here will espicially the jealous and envious ones.

This is sooo true. I am a die hard Kings fans, and wont want the kings to win the cup IF a shorten season is played. I would want my team to play a full season, because i would hear the "you only won because of luck" or " if there was a full season you wouldnt have made it to the playoffs"

I guess one way or the other us Kings fans can just look on the bright side.... up and coming team :)

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
BLONG7 said:
Talks to resume Monday??? WTF is wrong with these morons??? What about Saturday and Sunday...Gary,Bob, in case you two morons haven't noticed the league is on life support and your jobs are in jepordy...fire these two puddin' heads and let's get on with it... :banghead: :mad:

Gee, dontcha already know? They're all preparing to watch the Super Bowl, duh. :lol:

Just kidding. I hear you, Blong7. :cry:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Getting back to when we were talking about if a cup is legit if someone wins it this year...

The Stanley Cup is awarded to the best team that particular year. Not the best team who completes 82 games and 4 rounds. If the season ends up being 28 games, then so be it. If someone wins it this year, I believe there shouldnt be an asterisk. Why? Because 29 other teams had the equal opportunity to win it, but did not succeed.

My 2 cents :cheers:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Personally, I would love to win the Stanley Cup this year, regardless of the length of the season. IT will make it easier, IMO, for teams like Nashville to have a shot at winning, but still face the full playoff grind and prove themselves.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
X-SHARKIE said:
IS there any truth to Damian Cox and his report?

Is this a reliable source that talks will resume monday?

Thanks.

speculation , but Cox is an excellent writer

he's come a long way

OilKiller

Feb 1, 2005
canadatv.invisionzone.com
I agree with some of the other people here who have been saying a season is a season. Each team has a fair shot at winning the SC, regardless of how long the season is. Actually, it is harder over a shortened schedule because there is no room for error. Go on a losing sreak or lose a major player due to injury and you could be done like dinner.

All I know is I want to see the NHL play hockey. Personally I wouldn't even care if it was just a SC tournament at this point.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Question for all...with the Super Bowl going this weekend, would it not be wise for the NHL/NHLPA to simply not announce any new meetings, have all the sports press consumed with the Super Bowl, and continue negotiations either VIA conference call, or even sneak into town and hold meetings somewhere? I don't know that it's happeneing, however the media would leave it alone to a certain degree...

Let's just hope for a season. Or even just a deal and no season. We should all realize if the deal isn't done before the cancellation, urgency goes out the window, and we have a lockout into the 2005-2006 season as well. Get a deal done.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Tainted cups???? Astrick seasons... Folks the "stanley cup" and "NHL regular season" are about to become history terms not a reality. if through some miracle they start the season ( hardly possible with each sides mis-leadership) mar 1 it means a 05-06 season otherwise I doubt we will see anything close to the modern NHL as we know it,

Short season=more seasons!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
GregStack said:
Question for all...with the Super Bowl going this weekend, would it not be wise for the NHL/NHLPA to simply not announce any new meetings, have all the sports press consumed with the Super Bowl, and continue negotiations either VIA conference call, or even sneak into town and hold meetings somewhere? I don't know that it's happeneing, however the media would leave it alone to a certain degree...

Let's just hope for a season. Or even just a deal and no season. We should all realize if the deal isn't done before the cancellation, urgency goes out the window, and we have a lockout into the 2005-2006 season as well. Get a deal done.
Did they put a recent CAP on NUMBER OF REPORTERS per Radio and TV Station ??

I am jsut kidding you of course ..but Sports Network follow all sorts of sports events .. Who is to say that the same guy the covers the Super Bowl is also lead reporter on the NHL lockout ??

Bottom line plenty of reporters to go around .. I think

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
They are asking for trouble if they plan to squeeze 30 games into 61 days , March 1 -April 30 .

not every nhl division has the simple logistics of the Atlantic (pha,nyi,njd,nyr,pit)

Naturally I'd love to see what these fools would have planned for us suckers if a so called shortened season was launched .

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
The Messenger said:
Did they put a recent CAP on NUMBER OF REPORTERS per Radio and TV Station ??

I am jsut kidding you of course ..but Sports Network follow all sorts of sports events .. Who is to say that the same guy the covers the Super Bowl is also lead reporter on the NHL lockout ??

Bottom line plenty of reporters to go around .. I think

Clearly there are more, however most attention is turned towards the Super Bowl, and to deny that would be foolish. I'm sure if they were meeting, someone whould crack it before the meeting ended, however I doubt Bettman/Goodenow will have the usual coverage on them. They could easily manage conference call negotiations (or at least hold votes with their respective groups without us hearing much).

You are of course right though that with the number of free lance journalists, as well as hockey oriented columnists that people would find out.

rwilson99

gobolt7 said:
No, but how many teams were there then? You cant compare that to winning a cup after 24-30 game meaningless season as opposed to a team that won it after a complete 82 game season and 4 full rounds of the Stanley cup playoffs. If they play this year, I strongly believe the Lightning are really getting the short end of the stick. They earned the right to have a full year as the defending Stanley Cup champions, not a month.

I can barely wait for the "cheap dynasty" claims from the traditional hockey fans if the Bolts repeat.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
rwilson99 said:
I can barely wait for the "cheap dynasty" claims from the traditional hockey fans if the Bolts repeat.

If a season were to start in the next 2 weeks, the bolts would have some work to do. Marty St. Louis is unsigned, and Brad Richards is on the shelf. (Abdominal injury I believe.) I would not even want to conider what a 30 game sprint would look like for the bolts if those 2 missed any significant time.

You bring up a good point though, I can here the crying from the north if the bolts were to repeat. :D

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
As a Northerner, I have to say, I really enjoyed watching the Lightning win the Cup last season. Hey, they knocked out our enemies, the Habs, they aren't too bad I suppose. :lol:

I feel for you Tampa fans. It must be miserable, not being able to see your team try to make it for two years in a row. :cry:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
rwilson99 said:

If they win 4 in a row (I don't want to hear any of this "dynasty" nonsense until then), I doubt the fact that one of them came in a short season will matter much at that point.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Epsilon said:
If they win 4 in a row (I don't want to hear any of this "dynasty" nonsense until then), I doubt the fact that one of them came in a short season will matter much at that point.
So would you dispute the Devils as being a dynasty if they win one in 05-06?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->