Cox - Talks expected to resume Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

Good read from Cox this morning off of the The Star:

"There is a growing sense that the league may eventually be willing to relent on the hard cap if — and this is a huge if — the union is prepared to completely guarantee the results of a luxury-tax system.

In other words, no cap, but the union would have to be willing to write a big honkin' cheque for the entire amount of any league-wide payroll expenditures in excess of a certain level.

If the union embraces such a guarantee, it could give the league the cost certainty it craves while allowing Bob Goodenow to still go to his membership and say he made good on his promise to avoid a cap.

Regardless, these talks aren't over and the season isn't about to be cancelled. Expect negotiations to resume by Monday, and then we'll see.

The larger issue for the industry, however, remains that both sides have for too long treated this as the only fight that matters.

Well, anybody who has watched this league devolve over the past decade understands that a new economic system in itself will guarantee precisely nothing about the future of the NHL."

Link

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
These guys had better fix the economics soon so that they can get to work on improving the game itself. It would be a shame if all this 'work' to get a deal done resulted in the game becoming an all out 'trap-style' in the next 2-3 years.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
Regardless, these talks aren't over and the season isn't about to be cancelled.

This would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic. It's February already and they're still talking like they could award a meaningful Stanley Cup. What are they going to do, hold a one-day tournament? The season is OH-ver, regardless of what pale facsimile they might try to foist on the long-suffering fans this year.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Other Dave said:
This would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic. It's February already and they're still talking like they could award a meaningful Stanley Cup. What are they going to do, hold a one-day tournament? The season is OH-ver, regardless of what pale facsimile they might try to foist on the long-suffering fans this year.
If their is a season I really hope that the cup does not go to either a team winning it for the first time or a long suffering team that is on a cupless drought like the Leafs or Flyers only because their fans will endure the talk of winning a tarnished cup and that's the only way they could win one while a team that has won it before recently(Bolts, Wings, Av's, Devils) would still hear talk about them winning a cheap cup but at least we would be able to say we have done it in a full season so go shove it.

I know alot of posters here for example who I consider them my boys who are either Flyer or Kings fans and while I'm sure they would exult to winning the cup in a strike shorten season as this I imagine that they also are in the back of their minds wary of such a achievment that they probably would prefer doing in a full season, and one that I wouldn't shortchange but one that I know many will around here will espicially the jealous and envious ones.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Do these guys go on weekend fishing trips or something? Why do they take every weekend off. It's disgraceful that these 2 leaders can't stick to it every day, every waking hour until they come up with solutions to the problems.

For every hour these two have spent in actual face to face negotiations another week has gone by.

habs1988

Mar 1, 2003
I don't know
Visit site
I think the season is over now. If we wait for another week, we'll have to play a 20 games season. I prefer to cancel the season and let Bettman and Goodenow negociate. If there are 20 games, many teams will play badly to draft M.Crosby. Imagine if there is no draft this year. All the players of this year will be draft next year. It makes a very deep draft.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
Top Shelf said:
"There is a growing sense that the league may eventually be willing to relent on the hard cap if — and this is a huge if — the union is prepared to completely guarantee the results of a luxury-tax system.

In other words, no cap, but the union would have to be willing to write a big honkin' cheque for the entire amount of any league-wide payroll expenditures in excess of a certain level.

and why would the NHLPA agree to anything like this?

There would be no reason for the owner not to sign players to HUGE contracts since they know they will get most of the money back.

This is a recipe for huge contracts that are not really huge contracts. Horrible idea.

Crazy Lunatic

Lou is God said:
If their is a season I really hope that the cup does not go to either a team winning it for the first time or a long suffering team that is on a cupless drought like the Leafs or Flyers only because their fans will endure the talk of winning a tarnished cup and that's the only way they could win one while a team that has won it before recently(Bolts, Wings, Av's, Devils) would still hear talk about them winning a cheap cup but at least we would be able to say we have done it in a full season so go shove it.

I know alot of posters here for example who I consider them my boys who are either Flyer or Kings fans and while I'm sure they would exult to winning the cup in a strike shorten season as this I imagine that they also are in the back of their minds wary of such a achievment that they probably would prefer doing in a full season, and one that I wouldn't shortchange but one that I know many will around here will espicially the jealous and envious ones.

Very good points. I think most people would consider a cup win after a ridiculous 20-30 game season to be a cheap Stanley Cup victory. If the Leafs won this year, of course people would celebrate, but it would be a giant let down to a lot of Torontonians too. I don't think any teams fans would want to win this way.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
sakukoivu2003 said:
I think the season is over now. If we wait for another week, we'll have to play a 20 games season. I prefer to cancel the season and let Bettman and Goodenow negociate. If there are 20 games, many teams will play badly to draft M.Crosby. Imagine if there is no draft this year. All the players of this year will be draft next year. It makes a very deep draft.

If the season begins march 1st, and every team plays every other night, a 30 game season could be completed by june. Playoffs would start in June and first 2 rounds would be best of 5. Its possible, not that its right, but it is possible

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
sakukoivu2003 said:

if there is no season, there will probaly be no new neogeotiations until next November.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
Very good points. I think most people would consider a cup win after a ridiculous 20-30 game season to be a cheap Stanley Cup victory. If the Leafs won this year, of course people would celebrate, but it would be a giant let down to a lot of Torontonians too. I don't think any teams fans would want to win this way.

Just curious...were all the Stanley Cup championships awarded during the 20's "cheap"? Should they have asterisks beside them?

You know...when they played 24 game seasons?

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
transplant99 said:
Just curious...were all the Stanley Cup championships awarded during the 20's "cheap"? Should they have asterisks beside them?

No, but how many teams were there then? You cant compare that to winning a cup after 24-30 game meaningless season as opposed to a team that won it after a complete 82 game season and 4 full rounds of the Stanley cup playoffs. If they play this year, I strongly believe the Lightning are really getting the short end of the stick. They earned the right to have a full year as the defending Stanley Cup champions, not a month.

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The players should garentee their system will work. How? If it doesn't then a 31 million hard cap is imposed, no argument, no negotiation. Then we'll see how quickly they take 54%.

If they start March 1st and play 15 games each month, then by May they could start the playoffs, only 3 weeks late.

And I wish people would stop being so damn dramatic. Nobody complained last time. You will all be happy if your team wins the cup, short season or not. It will be exciting, and more teams have a shot this time. Imagine a crappy team wins? It'll help re-establish a fanbase in those markets.

Hell, look at Tampa. Now everyone and their mother is a Tampa fan.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Crazy Lunatic said:

It's not like it's unfair for some teams. Everyone has an equal shot at winning. If they win the cup, they still beat out 29 other teams to do it. Winning is winning.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
transplant99 said:

Where in his post does he talk about asterisks? Were talking about perception here, if the Leafs win the cup, right or wrong, do you really think their rival fans will acknowledge it has a legit cup win? Hell no.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
gobolt7 said:
No, but how many teams were there then? You cant compare that to winning a cup after 24-30 game meaningless season as opposed to a team that won it after a complete 82 game season and 4 full rounds of the Stanley cup playoffs. If they play this year, I strongly believe the Lightning are really getting the short end of the stick. They earned the right to have a full year as the defending Stanley Cup champions, not a month.

What difference does it make how many teams there were?

In fact, using your logic, those teams had an even easier time winning the cup back then because they only played 1 round of playoffs.

This year? You still have to win 4 rounds to be called SC champion.

And Tampa earned nothing more than the right to defend the cup...no matter how long or what form a season takes. Just like the Rangers in 95...they only had a 48 game season after their win....should that have an asterisk beside it as well?

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
transplant99 said:

In fact, using your logic, those teams had an even easier time winning the cup back then because they only played 1 round of playoffs.

And Tampa earned nothing more than the right to defend the cup...no matter how long or what form a season takes. Just like the Rangers in 95...they only had a 48 game season after their win....should that have an asterisk beside it as well?
Ah it was the Devils who won it '95, Rangers won it '94.

st5801

Jan 31, 2005
waffledave said:
It's not like it's unfair for some teams. Everyone has an equal shot at winning. If they win the cup, they still beat out 29 other teams to do it. Winning is winning.
I completely agree. In my opinion, a short season is better for the game than no season.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Talks to resume Monday??? WTF is wrong with these morons??? What about Saturday and Sunday...Gary,Bob, in case you two morons haven't noticed the league is on life support and your jobs are in jepordy...fire these two puddin' heads and let's get on with it... :banghead: :mad:

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
transplant99 said:

There is a huge difference in teams going into the playoffs after and 82 game grind, as opposed to a 30 game sprint. How many teams have started a season hot in October and November, only to fall apart over the long haul and miss the playoffs completly. Whoever ends up winning this year, if there even is a year, will go into the playoffs in a lot better shape then any team that has won over the past few years after full seasons. In my mind, that taints the whole thing.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Lou is God said:
Ah it was the Devils who won it '95, Rangers won it '94.

he said the rangers only had a 48 game season AFTER the won the SC. As in they were only able to be the defending SC champions for a month.

Honestly, if the preds were to win it this year (highly unlikely), I wouldn't care how many games were played because it would attract tons of local media and we'd draw in 1,000's of new fans. Crap, it would help us legit or not legit. but it won't happen, so no worries. :D

X0ssbar

I know we aren't supposed to dicuss "blogs" but if you get a chance - go to *you know who* and read this morning's update.

If your an optimist you'll enjoy the read b/c apparently he has "never been more confident there will be a season this year."

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
gobolt7 said:
There is a huge difference in teams going into the playoffs after and 82 game grind, as opposed to a 30 game sprint. How many teams have started a season hot in October and November, only to fall apart over the long haul and miss the playoffs completly. Whoever ends up winning this year, if there even is a year, will go into the playoffs in a lot better shape then any team that has won over the past few years after full seasons. In my mind, that taints the whole thing.

The team that wins still beats everyone else.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
I know we aren't supposed to dicuss "blogs" but if you get a chance - go to *you know who* and read this morning's update.

If your an optimist you'll enjoy the read b/c apparently he has "never been more confident there will be a season this year."
Man I hope he is right, but he hasn't been so far...if nothing else we have to give him credit for being the most optimistic FAN of the game...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
BLONG7 said:
Man I hope he is right, but he hasn't been so far...if nothing else we have to give him credit for being the most optimistic FAN of the game...

He's making it up. He's not right in the sense that he knows this will happen.

HOWEVER...He is making an educated guess, and you have to hand it to him...He makes sense. What he's saying is entirely possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad