Couturier put up that performance with a torn MCL

Its almost as bad as when Hatcher knocked Crosby's teeth out with a cross check, flyer fans said he dove....imagine that.

Yes all Flyers fans agreed that it was a dive at the time. We polled it up, unanimous decision.

Just like all Penguins fans were to found to be living in the past, Crosby is a whiner, etc.

Congratulations to the Penguins on a fun series. I never thought the Flyers would be able to win two games against the defending champs, let alone on the road. Showed a lot of character but their roster was exposed, badly. Defense wins championships (the Penguins' forward corps has been coached so well in comparison to the Bylsma days), and without any defensive support, I think Flyers fans will need to get used to teams that are good enough to make the playoffs but never dominate a playoff series.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I know this is like the 3rd thread on him but my god

UXsotMM.png

What a performance and your reward is you probably saved your crappy coach's job for next year

No Olympic Gold medal, not that impressive... ;)

It's always crazy when we find out the types of things these guys play through.

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I think what's most impressive is that he found a way to finish the series +1 while playing almost 3 minutes more than any other forward despite being outscored 23-11 in the series. Pretty much if he wasn't on the ice, the Flyers were getting scored on.

Reactions: mmvvpp and Dempsey

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Depends what kind of tear.
This is tough to do but the fact he was so dominant tells me it wasn't much of a tear and the medical staff did their job in handling it.
Full respect to the guy still. I've been wanting the Oilers to trade for him the past 3-4 offseasons. Now it'll never happen

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Incredibly gutsy performance by him. He was everywhere on the ice yesterday despite playing on one leg.

Reactions: mmvvpp

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Depends what kind of tear.
This is tough to do but the fact he was so dominant tells me it wasn't much of a tear and the medical staff did their job in handling it.
Full respect to the guy still. I've been wanting the Oilers to trade for him the past 3-4 offseasons. Now it'll never happen
It clearly wasn't a full tear considering he said he's not planning to have it surgically repaired but there were moments, especially in game 5 where you could see he just had no push. Loose pucks that he usually finds a way to get to he would just turn and drop back into his defensive coverage. Any time where he had to either stop and start or make a hard cut turned into a big sweeping turn. I'm hoping it's something he can just rest and rehab over the next month or two so he's back to 100% by training camp. He was without a doubt the Flyers 2nd best forward this season and that includes Voracek.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Holy crap can’t pens fans just admit they got lucky with a non call? Sheesh

Have you ever admitted something if you knew it wasn't true?
There was "nothing to get away with ", as no penalty occurred.

Please read the rule book...it clearly states such action is permitted provided the puck was played first (which it was).

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Did you just bring up an incident involving a guy that retired a decade ago to justify dumb posts from the last 24 hours? My god, Pepperidge Farm doesn't even remember that far back.

A silly proposition is gonna be met with a silly response

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
A silly proposition is gonna be met with a silly response
Huh? What was the silly proposition? He said said Pens fans should admit they got away with a no call on Letang and his response was to go back more than a decade to bring up something Darian Hatcher did. Even if you disagree with it being a penalty or not, going back 10+ years to make a point is just weird.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Meanwhile we got LeBron being carried out by his teammates because he has a leg cramp.

6'7, 225 lbs of pure sandyvagitis.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Huh? What was the silly proposition? He said said Pens fans should admit they got away with a no call on Letang and his response was to go back more than a decade to bring up something Darian Hatcher did.

Please see my post above

That's why its a silly proposition: letang CLEARLY gets the puck before any other body part. There is literally no other viewpoint that would be correct
Yet people want to make it look completely heinous, like Gretzkys high stick non call ...

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
It clearly wasn't a full tear considering he said he's not planning to have it surgically repaired but there were moments, especially in game 5 where you could see he just had no push. Loose pucks that he usually finds a way to get to he would just turn and drop back into his defensive coverage. Any time where he had to either stop and start or make a hard cut turned into a big sweeping turn. I'm hoping it's something he can just rest and rehab over the next month or two so he's back to 100% by training camp. He was without a doubt the Flyers 2nd best forward this season and that includes Voracek.

See that's what happens when you don't watch many of the games.
Ive torn MCL numerous times eventually my ACL and LCL.
The bolded are the exact symptoms of my MCL injuries. You have zero confidence in your knees ability to not buckle so you do everything more carfefully and have to overthink whether you should or shouldn't do something that usually comes naturally.
Knee rehabs can be rough best of luck and speedy recovery to Coutts

Last edited:
Reactions: StoneHands

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Please see my post above

That's why its a silly proposition: letang CLEARLY gets the puck before any other body part. There is literally no other viewpoint that would be correct
Yet people want to make it look completely heinous, like Gretzkys high stick non call ...
Show me in the rule book where it says anything about it not being a trip in any situation other than a potential penalty shot. Maybe I'm wrong but my interpretation has always been that the "he got the puck first" only applied to a breakaways. There are plenty of times where a guy gets the puck first and then sweeps the legs and it's still a call. If I'm wrong, which is possible, just provide the verbiage.

Again, that doesn't take away from the fact that the guy brought up what he thought was a missed call from 2006.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Show me in the rule book where it says anything about it not being a trip in any situation other than a potential penalty shot. Maybe I'm wrong but my interpretation has always been that the "he got the puck first" only applied to a breakaways. There are plenty of times where a guy gets the puck first and then sweeps the legs and it's still a call. If I'm wrong, which is possible, just provide the verbiage.

Again, that doesn't take away from the fact that the guy brought up what he thought was a missed call from 2006.

Rule 57.1
“Accidental Trip’s which occur with a completed play shall not be penalized”

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Rule 57.1
“Accidental Trip’s which occur with a completed play shall not be penalized”
Yes, accidental like a player stepping on your stick and notice the completely play part. That would be like hitting Couturier's feet after making a pass and Couts falling. The play is not affected by the trip so they allow it. Swinging your stick at the puck and taking a players feet out is not an accident and a completely play is not him taking the puck and scoring directly after. By the NHL Tripping rule, it's a penalty regardless of whether you get the puck or not. You're wrong, sorry.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Yes, accidental like a player stepping on your stick and notice the completely play part. That would be like hitting Couturier's feet after making a pass and Couts falling. The play is not affected by the trip so they allow it. Swinging your stick at the puck and taking a players feet out is not an accident and a completely play is not him taking the puck and scoring directly after. By the NHL Tripping rule, it's a penalty regardless of whether you get the puck or not. You're wrong, sorry.

Youre missing a key component: by your own example letang had "possession " as defined by the rule book. Even slapping a puck up like that is deemed possession (in other words if the pens theoretically had a delayed penalty against the whistle would've blown)

So sorry, you are incorrect here. Letang was completing his play/pass. Heck Coots doesn't even TOUCH THE PUCK in this sequence, therefore only 1 player had possession. So yes as you described coots essentially trips over the stick after a pass is made, hence a legal play

Please familiarize yourself with the rulebook and ask any ref at your local rink- they'll explain it to you the same

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Youre missing a key component: by your own example letang had "possession " as defined by the rule book. Even slapping a puck up like that is deemed possession (in other words if the pens theoretically had a delayed penalty against the whistle would've blown)

So sorry, you are incorrect here. Letang was completing his play/pass. Heck Coots doesn't even TOUCH THE PUCK in this sequence, therefore only 1 player had possession. So yes as you described coots essentially trips over the stick after a pass is made, hence a legal play

Please familiarize yourself with the rulebook and ask any ref at your local rink- they'll explain it to you the same
You literally cannot be more wrong. I love how you pick certain parts of the rule to try to make your point and ignore others. It wasn't an accidental trip, his stick is wrapped his stick around Couturier's leg to make a play on the puck and regardless of whether he got the puck or not, it's a penalty. You won the series, move on with your life and stop pretending like that wasn't a penalty. It's ok to admit you got away with one.

If that's the case then why does the rule book specifically say "If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player makes contact with the puck first and subsequently trips the opponent in so doing, no penalty shot will be awarded, but a minor penalty for tripping shall be assessed." So it's a penalty on a breakaway but not a penalty shot but any other time during the game you can take someones legs out as long as you touch the puck first? Seems legit.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
You literally cannot be more wrong. I love how you pick certain parts of the rule to try to make your point and ignore others. It wasn't an accidental trip, his stick is wrapped his stick around Couturier's leg to make a play on the puck and regardless of whether he got the puck or not, it's a penalty. You won the series, move on with your life and stop pretending like that wasn't a penalty. It's ok to admit you got away with one.

If that's the case then why does the rule book specifically say "If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player makes contact with the puck first and subsequently trips the opponent in so doing, no penalty shot will be awarded, but a minor penalty for tripping shall be assessed." So it's a penalty on a breakaway but not a penalty shot but any other time during the game you can take someones legs out as long as you touch the puck first? Seems legit.

You have to read the rulebook (I think I said this already) because in the context about the penalty shot /tripping minor that section only applies when the attacking player HAS POSSESSION.

Again for the 3rd time, coots never in that sequence had possession of the puck therefore in the course of completing the play /pass, the "offending stick " shall not be penalized

How difficult it is to understand this? I mean 16 yr old refs grasp this concept and nuance successfully..

Its OK to take a loss on the scoreboard and admit this also wasn't a penalty Your life will go on...

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
You have to read the rulebook (I think I said this already) because in the context about the penalty shot /tripping minor that section only applies when the attacking player HAS POSSESSION.

Again for the 3rd time, coots never in that sequence had possession of the puck therefore in the course of completing the play /pass, the "offending stick " shall not be penalized

How difficult it is to understand this? I mean 16 yr old refs grasp this concept and nuance successfully..

Its OK to take a loss on the scoreboard and admit this also wasn't a penalty Your life will go on...
I read the rule book and nowhere in it does it say that you can trip anyone you want as long as they don't have possession of the puck. You're in the 1% minority of people that think this was not a penalty and 90% of those people are Pens fans. It's a sad, angry life you live. I'm done arguing with what I can only assume is a child.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I read the rule book and nowhere in it does it say that you can trip anyone you want as long as they don't have possession of the puck. You're in the 1% minority of people that think this was not a penalty and 90% of those people are Pens fans. It's a sad, angry life you live. I'm done arguing with what I can only assume is a child.

Hmm weird that I'm part of a ref ice hockey group from all over the US and Canada who believes this was a dive if anything. I can show you screenshots if you'd like?

"nowhere in it does it say that you can trip anyone you want as long as they don't have possession of the puck."

Am I in a time warp or are you just willfully ignoring our previous discussion ??

Accidental Tripping is permitted by players who have followed through and are completing a pass or shot . We've talked about this before. Please try to keep up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad