Countdown to Solar Eclipse in US

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
the location of longest totality is about 20 miles from my house. Hotels have been sold out around here for a long time. people are renting out their houses. Really hope the weather is good. I should be able to sit by my pool and have a beer and enjoy the whole thing

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
the location of longest totality is about 20 miles from my house. Hotels have been sold out around here for a long time. people are renting out their houses. Really hope the weather is good. I should be able to sit by my pool and have a beer and enjoy the whole thing

You got some good glasses, I hope?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Where in the US will it be a total eclipse?

Eclipse2017_USA.png

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
If my research is correct, we get another one in 2024 (path of totality looks to cross most of US in an opposite pattern, rising north from west-to-east passing Buffalo) and in 2045 we have the same exact eclipse as the upcoming one except shifted further south.

I'll be in the 70-80% range for this one, 90% for the next if I dont move

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
If my research is correct, we get another one in 2024 (path of totality looks to cross most of US in an opposite pattern, rising north from west-to-east passing Buffalo) and in 2045 we have the same exact eclipse as the upcoming one except shifted further south.

The 2024 one will also cross western KY and there is a spot somewhere that will have totality for both of them.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

I'd love if it passed near Buffalo.

For this one I'm in the ~75% range, would be awesome to get nearly 100% for the next.

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
KYTC(DOT) is expecting gridlock conditions in the state on I-24. There have already been high level meetings on it. Expecting a 90 mile parking lot basically.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Will be driving down to the Carbondale, IL area for the eclipse itself. Also didn't realize until recently that Carbondale will be on the 2024 eclipse's path as well.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You got some good glasses, I hope?

If he's in the path of totality, he doesn't need them. You need the glasses if you're experiencing a partial eclipse, but for total eclipses you can look directly. Granted, this only applies during the totality. During the beginning and end of the eclipse, wear glasses.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

(Note: There's also links to DOT and highway safety, for those curious about why a highway is going to be a parking lot)

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

there is also another in 2044 that will clip the northern US and Canada
Strange that it has been 99 years since the last one in North America and there will be 4 in 28 years

Last edited:

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
our schools are closed, my office is closed... basically the whole area is shutting down for this
I took the day off from work as well.

They say the next time it will be a total eclipse like this here in the Nashville area, is not for another 500 years, so it is indeed a once in a lifetime event to experience, if correct.

Ordered & received our glasses last week. Many planetariums are selling them for pretty good prices, even with shipping, and it's always good to help support them and their efforts.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

They say the next time it will be a total eclipse like this here in the Nashville area, is not for another 500 years, so it is indeed a once in a lifetime event to experience, if correct.

Ordered & received our glasses last week. Many planetariums are selling them for pretty good prices, even with shipping, and it's always good to help support them and their efforts.
Local Wal Marts have them for a dollar. The local library is giving them away for free. 18 days

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

my towns chamber of commerce is giving them away

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad