Could you help with a QMJHL Expansion Idea?

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
Fredericton, NB has been seen as a possibility numerous times as well.

This is highly unlikely at this point. UNB controls the only rink possibly big enough to host a major junior team and they haven't shown themselves to willing share the top spotlight in the city. A few years ago, when the city was building 2 new hockey multiplexes, there was talk of them making one big enough to host a junior team but that never happened. Construction is long since finished on both rinks now.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Is Nova Scotia were to get another QMJHL team, it would have to be Truro.

In New Brunswick you can't really go to Fredericton unless they get some deal with UNB worked out which seems really unlikely.

Other options (albeit really small) would be either Edmunston (16,032 in city, 21,442 in metro) or Miramichi(17,811 pop in city, 28,115 in metro) both of which are bigger than Bathurst, and Edmunston is on the road to Quebec. Though, I'm not sure aside from the small population what other challenges they'd face.

Aside from those two places, the Kennebecasis Valley has the population but is basically a part of Saint John, and there is Dieppe which is basically Moncton.

I think it is unlikely NB gets an expansion, probably Truro if anywhere in the Maritimes. And I don't know if the Q would try NFLD again, especially with the AHL still there for a few more years. When Montreal moves St.John's to Laval as I've heard rumors of, then perhaps they might try again?

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Anyone from the area knows the only other New Brunswick possibility would be Fredericton. Miramichi ? Edmunston ? The last thing the league needs is another Bathurst who've been losing money for years and sometimes getting less than a 1000 fans at games. If anything , I think NB should be housing two teams , Moncton & Saint John. Bathurst should be relocated to Trois Rivieres.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Trois-Rivieres would only work with a new arena (the current one was built in 1938...). There are plans for one, and its being hyped as a possible spot for a future farm team of a Quebec NHL franchise, which needless to say is long-term thinking. I think St. Jean- sur-Richelieu has the population (close to 100,000 people) but again, no modern arena. What Quebec, as a province, needs is a new round of medium size arenas to reinvigorate its pro-hockey prospects.

ns64

Aug 8, 2013
Anyone from the area knows the only other New Brunswick possibility would be Fredericton. Miramichi ? Edmunston ? The last thing the league needs is another Bathurst who've been losing money for years and sometimes getting less than a 1000 fans at games. If anything , I think NB should be housing two teams , Moncton & Saint John. Bathurst should be relocated to Trois Rivieres.

Bathurst should be moved to Truro.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Okay, hypothetical contingency plan; let's say that the Quebec Nordiques return to Quebec City. (I pray that the Coyotes aren't that team, but I'm not here to decide.) And let's say that they decide to evict the Remparts. If the decide to move further than Colisée Pepsi and leave the Quebec City limits, which city could they possibly go to?

Last edited:

sjq

Sep 16, 2008
Saint John, NB
Okay, hypothetical contingency plan; let's say that the Quebec Nordiques return to Quebec City. (I pray that the Coyotes aren't that team, but I'm not here to decide.) And let's say that they decide to evict the Remparts. If the decide to move further than Colisée Pepsi and leave the Quebec City limits, which city could they possibly go to?

Remparts won't be evicted. The owners of the Remparts are the same group that will own the NHL team (Quebecor)

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Remparts won't be evicted. The owners of the Remparts are the same group that will own the NHL team (Quebecor)

Lots of junior teams are owned by their NHL club in some way shape or form.

In fact, i think in the future you will see NHL teams own multiple CHL franchises (One in every league). The Oilers are already trying to do this with already owning of the Oil Kings and the failed attempt of the acquisition of the Erie Otters.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Not trying to throw a grenade, but I would think and hope that the CHL would want to go in the direction of a National Elite Jr league with 12-16 teams and play ~40 games in Canada and ~20 game abroad.

The only way to develop the best is best on best.

So in that scenario you can lose Halifax and Quebec for sure as those are the 2 definite Q teams that could house an Elite Jr team.

Anyway, this^ rather than expand the Q.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Not trying to throw a grenade, but I would think and hope that the CHL would want to go in the direction of a National Elite Jr league with 12-16 teams and play ~40 games in Canada and ~20 game abroad.

The only way to develop the best is best on best.

So in that scenario you can lose Halifax and Quebec for sure as those are the 2 definite Q teams that could house an Elite Jr team.

Anyway, this^ rather than expand the Q.

I've said the same thing but slightly differently. I prefer a pro national league for players aged 18-21. Then the AHL would begin for players aged 21 and up. I think it solves many of the problems for elite players who aren't quite ready for the NHL.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
I've said the same thing but slightly differently. I prefer a pro national league for players aged 18-21. Then the AHL would begin for players aged 21 and up. I think it solves many of the problems for elite players who aren't quite ready for the NHL.

Yup i like this too - need something for the drafted 17yo to get into and continue to have to compete. Would help weed out the players lacking mental toughness for sure.

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
Longueuil is in talks with the league to get a team. Aréna Jean-Béliveau seems on it's way to get modernized. Surprises me there are no team on the south shore of Montréal, when there used to be a lot : St-Hyacinthe, St-Jean, Longueuil...

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
Trois-Rivieres would only work with a new arena (the current one was built in 1938...). There are plans for one, and its being hyped as a possible spot for a future farm team of a Quebec NHL franchise, which needless to say is long-term thinking. I think St. Jean- sur-Richelieu has the population (close to 100,000 people) but again, no modern arena. What Quebec, as a province, needs is a new round of medium size arenas to reinvigorate its pro-hockey prospects.

Trois-Rivieres will never work in the Q as it is only 20 minutes from Shawinigan and they have territorial rights and would veto a team in T-R.

The arena in St.-Jean is old and small, but in decent shape and could work temporarily if needed. Amazed there is not even a LHJQ team there. No major hockey there which would attract spectators since the LNAH left.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Last thing the Q needs is more teams.

It actually needs 2-4 less teams. The calibre of players on every teams bottom 6 is interchangeable outside the 3 or 4 top contenders full of veterans.

Some of those players should be playing lower levels.

There is not 1 Maritime community who can support a team. As it currently stands there is 1 team who can barely afford to keep going with the status quo.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Last thing the Q needs is more teams.

It actually needs 2-4 less teams. The calibre of players on every teams bottom 6 is interchangeable outside the 3 or 4 top contenders full of veterans.

Some of those players should be playing lower levels.

There is not 1 Maritime community who can support a team. As it currently stands there is 1 team who can barely afford to keep going with the status quo.

It's real hard to see Saint John, Moncton, or Halifax lose their teams.
Also, Charlottetown and Cape Breton are doing alright it seems, Bathurst is the only team in questionable territory.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
It's real hard to see Saint John, Moncton, or Halifax lose their teams.
Also, Charlottetown and Cape Breton are doing alright it seems, Bathurst is the only team in questionable territory.

QMJHL Finals going back to 2010.

2014–15 Rimouski Océanic 4–3 Québec Remparts
2013–14 Val-d'Or Foreurs 4–3 Baie-Comeau Drakkar
2012–13 Halifax Mooseheads 4–1 Baie-Comeau Drakkar
2011–12 Saint John Sea Dogs 4–0 Rimouski Océanic
2010–11 Saint John Sea Dogs 4–2 Gatineau Olympiques
2009–10 Moncton Wildcats 4–2 Saint John Sea Dogs

I think most teams in the Maritimes are doing alright.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
Fredericton and Sorel the 2 most likely
Fredericton if they can work out a deal with UNB
A few NHL players tried multiple time to bring a team to Sorel

Trois-Rivieres wouldnt work because its to close to Shawinigan
Edmunston doesnt have a rink
And the rink in Miramichi and Amherst are **** holes
Truro have a rink but dont know if they would do good with attendence

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
West Division
Blainville-Boisbriand
Gatineau
Rouyn-Noranda
Val d'Or
Laval or Terrebonne or Repentigny

Central Division
Drummondville
Sherbrooke
Victoriaville
Granby or Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Longueuil or Brossard

East Division
Baie-Comeau
Chicoutimi
Quebec
Rimouski
Shawinigan

Maritime Division
Cape-Breton
Charlottetown
Halifax
Moncton
Saint-John

Last edited:

ns64

Aug 8, 2013
They can't properly support a Major Junior franchise either. Population is around 15 thousand. Just not enough. Bearcat games draw only 1000 fans. This would be a recipe for disaster and that's why the league won't go here.

There is 50,000 people live in Colchester County within a 30 minute drive of the rink. Pictou County has a population of over 40,000 people and the majority of the people live within a 30 minute drive.I don't think population would be a factor.If they were to put a major junior team in Truro they may fill the rink which has a seating capacity of 2,500 plus sky boxes.One hour from Halifax a little over an hour to Moncton and under 4 hours to Cape Breton.I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.
JMO

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
There is 50,000 people live in Colchester County within a 30 minute drive of the rink. Pictou County has a population of over 40,000 people and the majority of the people live within a 30 minute drive.I don't think population would be a factor.If they were to put a major junior team in Truro they may fill the rink which has a seating capacity of 2,500 plus sky boxes.One hour from Halifax a little over an hour to Moncton and under 4 hours to Cape Breton.I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.
JMO

Is 2500 big enough for a Q rink? Honest question I'm not sure..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad