Olympics: Could USA be the favorite heading into PyeongChang 2018?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No, not a chance. Unless Canada boycotts the tournament, then I'll agree, USA will be probably the favourite. Canada has a pretty young core as it is and can you imagine how good McDavid will be in two years? Yeah, Canada is a huge favourite in 2016 and I can't see how that changes in two years.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
It will be 2022 when the USA finally has similar talent level to Canada. On 2018, Canada will still be in the midst of their golden generation. THe last few drafts and the upcoming one show that the U.S is catching up however. Finland could be right there as well, and maybe Sweden if they can cultivate a few more young Fs capable of being stars.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It will be 2022 when the USA finally has similar talent level to Canada. On 2018, Canada will still be in the midst of their golden generation. THe last few drafts and the upcoming one show that the U.S is catching up however. Finland could be right there as well, and maybe Sweden if they can cultivate a few more young Fs capable of being stars.

Even by 2022, McDavid and Ekblad will be hitting their peak. Scheifele will be dominating, Crosby will still be playing, it goes on and on.

The thing is a couple drafts don't change everything, at the Mens level you have 10-15 years worth of players to pick from. Canada isn't going anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad