Could this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
With all the talk of the CBA today I have been doing some thinking and think that I might have an Idea that could work for both sides.

First of all I honestly don`t think the NHLPA is so ignorant as to think that they can continue enjoying 75% of revenues as they are supposedly getting today. I also don`t think that the players honestly believe the numbers given by the NHL are accurate, which leads me to my solution: The NHL and NHLPA form a joint committee to investigate the financial state of the NHL. The committee would consist of an equal amount of people from each side, as well as impartial outside experts and they would do a complete audit of every single NHL team as well as the NHL organization itself. After both sides are satisfied with the numbers given by the committee they can begin to work on a deal using the numbers obtained by the joint comittee.

I believe that the best way to obtain a stable and prosperous league is to have a tangible link between the revenues and player costs so that everyone involved will know what to expect every season depending on the revenues from the last season. The bulk of the negotiations can then be concentrated on the % allocated to player cost (somewhere between 50 and 60% as in every other major sport) along with other issues such as free agency, rookie salaries and arbitration.

I realize that this sounds an awful lot like the NHL`s proposal today but I truely believe that the biggest stumbling block in the negotiations is the mistrust between the union and the NHL. With a joint comittee conducting a study both sides should be satisfied with the true financial state of the league and there would be more trust, and hence, better negotiations and hopefully a new CBA.

Flame away :D

capman29

Chelios said:
With all the talk of the CBA today I have been doing some thinking and think that I might have an Idea that could work for both sides.

First of all I honestly don`t think the NHLPA is so ignorant as to think that they can continue enjoying 75% of revenues as they are supposedly getting today. I also don`t think that the players honestly believe the numbers given by the NHL are accurate, which leads me to my solution: The NHL and NHLPA form a joint committee to investigate the financial state of the NHL. The committee would consist of an equal amount of people from each side, as well as impartial outside experts and they would do a complete audit of every single NHL team as well as the NHL organization itself. After both sides are satisfied with the numbers given by the committee they can begin to work on a deal using the numbers obtained by the joint comittee.

I believe that the best way to obtain a stable and prosperous league is to have a tangible link between the revenues and player costs so that everyone involved will know what to expect every season depending on the revenues from the last season. The bulk of the negotiations can then be concentrated on the % allocated to player cost (somewhere between 50 and 60% as in every other major sport) along with other issues such as free agency, rookie salaries and arbitration.

I realize that this sounds an awful lot like the NHL`s proposal today but I truely believe that the biggest stumbling block in the negotiations is the mistrust between the union and the NHL. With a joint comittee conducting a study both sides should be satisfied with the true financial state of the league and there would be more trust, and hence, better negotiations and hopefully a new CBA.

Flame away :D

Define what revenue means to both sides first . That is one of the major stumbling blocks . Joint comitte to do this investagating would have to believe te records given by the owners covered all rvenue and expenses which is another stumbling block . In a word no it will not work,management has a 300 million war chest but claim they lost 270 milon last year who is kiding who.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Part of the mandate of the comittee would be to agree on what exactly should be considered hockey related revenue etc... Also as far as the owner records covering all the revenues and expenses, I`m not a lawyer or an accountant but I`m pretty sure that, legally, the owners must keep track of virtually everything to do with their business activity. If they aren`t keeping track of everything then they will might have bigger problems than the CBA (like the IRS knocking on their door). Now what the owners count as hockey related revenue and expenses is a different story, but, as I said before, that would be left up to the comittee to decide.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I like the idea in theory but if I remember correctly, they tried to do that during the latest round of negotiations and you see where that ended up. During one of their 4 hour meetings during the World Cup, they broke down each team and looked at the financial picture and still have a disagreement.

I just think the players will always suspect that if they agree to say a 55% cap or whatever, they won't trust the owners to use the actual true revenues they are making and therefore the cap will be undervalued and the players will be screwed. Right now, I don't see how that distrust can be overcome, particularly with the current representatives as they are. This sure didn't happen back in the good old Alan Eagleson days! haha

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Chelios said:
comments anyone?

In theory it's a great idea. But the trust/ego's between these two side would prevent that from happening. We all have different views, but were splitting hairs on how to distribute 2 billion dollars worth of revenue. I see the owners POV, i see the players POV and i see there is a middle ground. I just wish the NHL and NHLPA would find this middle ground sooner than later.

Go Flames Go*

They wont do it the NHLPA is to stubborn and are in some magical world thinking they have a free market system which they do not have. Maybe they should offer Goodnow to buy one of the clubs and see how it is out there in a free market system, when a player holds out for a year while being paid, and wanting more money, and you can't release him because its all gaurnteed.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Chelios said:
First of all I honestly don`t think the NHLPA is so ignorant as to think that they can continue enjoying 75% of revenues as they are supposedly getting today.

This must be because the revenues are $2billion I guess. 75% to players only make the owners $500mil, which isnt enough. So you must be saying that if revenues were $3bil, 75% of which is $750mil, then 75% is ok because it gives them the missing $250mil they need. So its the not the 75% that is bad, it is 75% in conjunction with $2bil?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
thinkwild said:
This must be because the revenues are $2billion I guess. 75% to players only make the owners $500mil, which isnt enough. So you must be saying that if revenues were $3bil, 75% of which is $750mil, then 75% is ok because it gives them the missing $250mil they need. So its the not the 75% that is bad, it is 75% in conjunction with $2bil?

Its $500m not $250 (50% of $2b, as opposed of 75% of $2b). Still 25% of $3b is a good start and I'm sure the owners would accept.

I'll be waiting with baited breath for the players proposal to get revenue intothe $3-4b range........

rwilson99

thinkwild said:

That makes sense if all of the other employees of the team are vounteers, arena's cost $0 to run and no teams pay rent, interest, insurance or have other expenses. Teams also pay nothing in taxes.

Thanks for clearing that up. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->