Could there be co-winners of the Calder this year??

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Since the Rookie year is based on your first year age is not considered. Alexander Ovechkin should win it. 50 goals 52 assists is incrediable. What Crosby has done as an 18yr is outstanding. You can't leave out Phaneuf or Lundqvist who else had an amazing year.

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Abyss said:
I don't think they should give it to both...give it to one or the other. I'd give it to AO myself, just because breakin the 50 goal mark as a rookie is darn impressive, especially with the teamates he is doing it with.
exactly. Crosby would get it any other year that Oveckin wasn't in the running but Ovechkin hitting 50 goals is the kicker for me.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
A tie for an NHL award voted on by the writers is one of the most improbable things possible. It would require both players to get the same number of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place votes, so that all the tiebreakers would be nullified. The Vezina would be slightly easier simply because less people vote on it (the GMs).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I watched Ovechkin Steam Roll so many Defensemen this year I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.... this guy is like a piece of Iron.

Crosby doesn't shy away from the rough stuff, and he is extremely strong on his skates, but aint ever going to Steam Roll Colin White Like Ovechkin has 3 times this season.

I do like Crosby I just really like the way he plays the game.

francklem

Mar 8, 2006
Personnaly i would like that the Calder get split . One for offensive rookie and one for the defensive rookie of the year .

I can t figure that with the season he s having Phaneuf is almost forget in discussion for the Calder neither Lundqvist ou Meszaros .

They all have incredible year but not as much regard as the 50 goal season of Ovechkin , The fact that we haven t seen that much gaol in a season for a long time just increase the merit of is accomplishment , to the point we forget the defensive rookie .

MiZZZike*

Absolutley not. Ovechkin has been the best rookie all year long.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
JimEIV said:
I watched Ovechkin Steam Roll so many Defensemen this year I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.... this guy is like a piece of Iron.

Crosby doesn't shy away from the rough stuff, and he is extremely strong on his skates, but aint ever going to Steam Roll Colin White Like Ovechkin has 3 times this season.

I do like Crosby I just really like the way he plays the game.

I agree...I watched Ovechkin get lined up by Vishnievski in a game this year and instead of skating around him or sidestepping him, he left his feet and knocked Vish down at the blueline and went through him. Haven't seen a guy do that in awhile let alone an offensive force like Ovechkin...then he went on to score a hat trick and beat the team 3-2. He's scarrrrrrry.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
It's a vote...... so if the result of the vote results in an equality, then yes, there could be co-winners.

Still, I expect the 20 years old guy to win it over the 18 years old guy... he is the second one in NHL history to end a season with a 50-50.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
MiZZZike said:
Absolutley not. Ovechkin has been the best rookie all year long.

Good luck arguing that point...

Crosby was the best rookie for the first two months, and he's been the best rookie since the break.

His hype has hurt him in the sense that people are discounting his accomplishments and exaggerating those of Ovechkin. It's hard to exaggerate 50, but he hasn't been nearly as good since the Olympics as he was in December and January.

It seems that Ovechkin might win just to spite Crosby, which in a sense is quite ironic considering the PHWA votes on the award, and they're also largely to blame for the hype created around Sid.

Regardless of who gets the Calder most people know which stock they're making their millions with 2-3 years down the road.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
BigE said:
Good luck arguing that point...

Crosby was the best rookie for the first two months, and he's been the best rookie since the break.

His hype has hurt him in the sense that people are discounting his accomplishments and exaggerating those of Ovechkin. It's hard to exaggerate 50, but he hasn't been nearly as good since the Olympics as he was in December and January.

It seems that Ovechkin might win just to spite Crosby, which in a sense is quite ironic considering the PHWA votes on the award, and they're also largely to blame for the hype created around Sid.

Regardless of who gets the Calder most people know which stock they're making their millions with 2-3 years down the road.

Yep, it's one huge covert conspiracy against Sid - similar to the likes of the UFO cover-up and the JFK assassination. :shakehead

Gimme a break, Ovechkin has been better when taking into account the whole year. Notice, he's leading Crosby in almost every statistical category too.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
I'm not saying that he shouldn't win, but use that melon of yours to put some of these pieces together.

Has Ovechkin been as good as Crosby over the last two months? No. Was Ovechkin as good as Crosby over the first two months? No. And when he wasn't as good people were making excuses or trying to discount Crosby's play so that they could bring the two on even footing. Sidney received no such treatment when Ovechkin was playing the role of dynamo in December and January.

He's outplayed Sidney for portions of the season, but certainly nothing close to the entire year. Funny how when Crosby was leading the race, stats didn't matter - and now even though Crosby is outplaying everyone in the league with the exception of Jaromir and Joe, totals are the be-all-end-all...just because everyone's favourite step-child is ahead.

The hype machine decides a lot of these awards...don't fool yourself into thinking this is a landslide.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
H N I C said:
Since the Rookie year is based on your first year age is not considered. Alexander Ovechkin should win it. 50 goals 52 assists is incrediable. What Crosby has done as an 18yr is outstanding. You can't leave out Phaneuf or Lundqvist who else had an amazing year.

Age is considered. After Makarov won it when he was a billion years old they put the age limit in. IIRC it is 25.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Lundqvist#30 said:
Say you have those four one the all rookie team:

Ovechkin - Crosby - ???????
Phaneuf - ???????
Lundqvist

Who would you have as the other forward and other defenseman?

I'm thinking Meszaros and then Boyes/Svatos/Prucha

Who would you go for?

Boyes has been playing RW most the whole year so I think he would deserve it, him or Prucha...

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
BigE said:
I'm not saying that he shouldn't win, but use that melon of yours to put some of these pieces together.

Has Ovechkin been as good as Crosby over the last two months? No. Was Ovechkin as good as Crosby over the first two months? No. And when he wasn't as good people were making excuses or trying to discount Crosby's play so that they could bring the two on even footing. Sidney received no such treatment when Ovechkin was playing the role of dynamo in December and January.

He's outplayed Sidney for portions of the season, but certainly nothing close to the entire year. Funny how when Crosby was leading the race, stats didn't matter - and now even though Crosby is outplaying everyone in the league with the exception of Jaromir and Joe, totals are the be-all-end-all...just because everyone's favourite step-child is ahead.

The hype machine decides a lot of these awards...don't fool yourself into thinking this is a landslide.

Now I'm confused...who does the NHL want to win it again?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i agree we should award the calder to 2 players, and while we are at it let's award the Stanley cup to both teams that make the finals.

Nfumass

Oct 2, 2004
Ma
BigE said:

:clap:

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
10.16.1974 said:
Now I'm confused...who does the NHL want to win it again?

The NHL wants Crosby to win, no doubt. Unfortunately for them, they're not the ones deciding this award - the PHWA is.

The very same people that have used their media outlets to create the hype behind Crosby are the very same ones that have grown sick of it, and over compensated in the form of Ovechkin worship....and god do I sound like the leader of a cult.

Look, despite my support in this thread for Crosby, I'd still give the award to Ovechkin. I merely dispise how much Crosby has been villified in the press and minds of the average fan. I mean really, people took that "whining ball" and ran with it the full length of the field. And when he isn't whining it's something else like "he can't roll over people" so he's not as good. For crying out loud.

One person, in a single year, can go from liking both of these kids to liking neither of them based on the hype war alone. Crosby was the next Gretz, but Ovechkin was overlooked - bring Crosby back to earth by beating him over the head with a stick, and replace him with Ovechkin on the thrown. We've gotten to the point where anything this kid does or says, even getting a pie in the face, makes him a better person and better hockey player than Crosby. It's sick.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Fact is whoever has more points will probably get more consideration. If Sid can go on a tear in the final few games he has a shot, else it's AO's to lose. Age should NOT be a factor.

Beyond that AO has 2 things going for him. The first is he has scored more goals, which will win him a few votes. The second thing is Washington was expected to be the worst team this year while Pittsuburg was supposed to be good. The fact that washington is only 4th last will win AO a few more votes as well because they were more competative then expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad