Could there be co-winners of the Calder this year??

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Who thinks naming Ovechkin and Crosby as co-winners of the Calder this year would be a good idea?

If you look at it, Ovechkin is the first rookie in a long time to score 50 goals, while Crosby could be the first player in a long, long time and only the second player EVER to score 100pts as an 18 yr old and he should hit 40 goals this year. He is already the youngest ever to 90pts.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
I don't think they should give it to both...give it to one or the other. I'd give it to AO myself, just because breakin the 50 goal mark as a rookie is darn impressive, especially with the teamates he is doing it with.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Abyss said:
I don't think they should give it to both...give it to one or the other. I'd give it to AO myself, just because breakin the 50 goal mark as a rookie is darn impressive, especially with the teamates he is doing it with.

Agreed

Geese_Howard*

ever since the focus has been put on ovechkin hes struggled while crosby has been on fire

it will be interesting to say the least

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
This will be difficult. Sid and Alex are really puting up some high numbers. And defencive players like Phaneuf and Lundqvist would be winners any other year.

Easy thing to do would be to say Sid and Alex split the Calder and Phan and Lund both becomes runners up and every one will be happy...? But that aint really the way to do it. My vote would probably go to Alex but the others are so close behind it is almost impossible IMHO.

What would a team with Lundqvist in goal, Phaneuf as the #1 defenceman and Sidney as main center with Alexander as key winger look like?

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
johnny_rudeboy said:
This will be difficult. Sid and Alex are really puting up some high numbers. And defencive players like Phaneuf and Lundqvist would be winners any other year.

Easy thing to do would be to say Sid and Alex split the Calder and Phan and Lund both becomes runners up and every one will be happy...? But that aint really the way to do it. My vote would probably go to Alex but the others are so close behind it is almost impossible IMHO.

What would a team with Lundqvist in goal, Phaneuf as the #1 defenceman and Sidney as main center with Alexander as key winger look like?

The NHL All-Rookie Team? :dunno: :dunno:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
No giving awards to both. The trophy is for the BEST rookie. There aren't two best in a given year, unless you want to give out two Stanley Cups just because you would hate to leave the other team out.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Say you have those four one the all rookie team:

Ovechkin - Crosby - ???????
Phaneuf - ???????
Lundqvist

Who would you have as the other forward and other defenseman?

I'm thinking Meszaros and then Boyes/Svatos/Prucha

Who would you go for?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
don't forget Ovechkin is 2 years older than Crosby as well, which is alot in development time, also Ovechkin played in a mans league last year. Both are extremley talent superstars right now. IT will be scary to see them 4 to 5 years from now. I don't think it is clear cut to just give it to Ovechkin like some people say. just because Crosby has Leclair and Recchi doent' mean anything, they are both a little over their prime now.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
This has to be the best rookie class EVER.

Ovechkin, Crosby, Phaneuf, Vanek, Meszaros, Boyes, Jokinen, Lehtonen, Fleury, Lundqvist, Niittymaki, Toivonen, etc.

That is a sick sick class. Of course, I guess it is really the class from two seasons combined, but still. :)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Taxman said:

Ovechkin, Crosby, Phaneuf, Vanek, Meszaros, Boyes, Jokinen, Lehtonen, Fleury, Lundqvist, Niittymaki, Toivonen, etc.

That is a sick sick class. Of course, I guess it is really the class from two seasons combined, but still. :)
Don't forget Miller, Parise, Svatos, Steen, Carter, Getzlaf.....

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Taxman said:

Don't forget guys like Miller and Parise...

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Geese_Howard said:
ever since the focus has been put on ovechkin hes struggled while crosby has been on fire

it will be interesting to say the least
He's moved into third in league scoring .He's hardly struggled,it's just that Sid has been phenomenal of late.

50 goals and third in scoring is pretty hard to argue with so I have no problems if AO gets the Calder but Sid is the better player right now imo and definetly the one to lay claim as the next great hockey player(with AO as his main rival).There is no denying now that the early situation in Pittsburgh was a huge detriment to Sid.The kid is a creative thinking player that relies on anticipation and chemistry and that couldn't happen with forty different line changes for most of the year and also having to play with veterans that arrogantly thought they had something to teach him.He's now on a line with 2 guys that cleared waivers in the last 4 months and he's scoring 2 points a game.

So to summarize AO had a better year(full) and Sid is the better player.If the press considers the obstacles Sidney had to overcome and how well he finished and how good he made Armstrong and Hilbert than maybe he's got a shot.But regardles congrats to both and other rookies as well.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
King'sPawn said:
No giving awards to both. The trophy is for the BEST rookie. There aren't two best in a given year, unless you want to give out two Stanley Cups just because you would hate to leave the other team out.

I have never participate in any of these Ovechkin v. Crosby threads...But this season there are really two BEST rookies.

I mean what Crosby is doing as an 18 year old is damn incredible, he'll most likely be the youngest ever to score 100 points. I didn't believe it was possible at the being of the season

Ovechkin is superstar already with a really nice well rounded game and a 50 goal -100 point rookie campaing is unbelievable especially when you look at that Washington team.

If I had a vote I wouldn't know who to give it to!!!! Being a Devil fan I got to see these guys quite a bit this year.....These guys are both unbelievable talents.

I guess Ovechkin has been the better overall player and has a much more well rounded game....But Crosby is 18! I don't know....I do know this is good for the NHL no matter how you slice it.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
JimEIV said:
I guess Ovechkin has been the better overall player and has a much more well rounded game....
I couldn't disagree more.AO is more physical but Sidney is at least as good defensively if not better and is an incredible playmaker.They are very different type of players so very hard to compare but Crosby is lacking very little and is very well rounded for the team game of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->