Could the Cap go Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwilson99

Could the Cap Go Up?

I'm beginning to think this could be the case more and more though...

There's a lot of pent up demand in traditional hockey markets and there is a good arguement that revenues will dramatically increase in the following markets...

Tampa Bay (Cup)
Calgary (Cup Final)
Pittsburgh (Crosby)
Nashville (Nice Playoff run & key FA signings)
Phoenix (Gretzky behind the bench)
Chicago (They signed some players and should at least out draw the Wolves this year)
Los Angeles (Roenick's mouth should will a few thousand extra fans every game)

In addition jersey sales should be through the roof this year with all the FA signings.

The current cap has a built in 20% drop in revenue from 2.1B to 1.7B, and the PA found an additional 100M in revenue during negotiations and thier is an 50M from the TV contract that was unexpected.

The following teams should have modest increases

Philadelpia
Colorado
Detroit
Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Ottawa

These teams should be in the position to at least hold steady

Minnesota
Columbus
Dallas
San Jose
Edmonton
Boston
NYR
St. Louis
New Jersey
Anaheim

Teams with negative revenues should be limited too

Florida
Carolina
Atlanta*
Washington
Buffalo
NYI

*Atlanta could be a team on the plus side with some resignings and a playoff run.

Your thoughts and the obligatory poll question.

bymer

Jan 16, 2005
NYC
the keys are: new rules, scoring, and calling obstruction. if average goals pg go up, if there is more excitement on the ice (*wave* NJ) there has to be more money going into the system. getting a good TV coverage will also be a big plus.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
The only way the cap can go up is if revenues exceed $2.2B.

There have been many ticket price reductions and no more money from TV.

I don't think hitting $2.2B will be possible until ticket prices start going up again or until they get a lucrative TV contract.

NotJT

Jun 28, 2005
FanSince'05 said:
The only way the cap can go up is if revenues exceed $2.2B.

There have been many ticket price reductions and no more money from TV.

I don't think hitting $2.2B will be possible until ticket prices start going up again or until they get a lucrative TV contract.

The current cap is based off a negotiated WAG of 1.7B in revenue. So revenues this year would have to be greater than 1.7b for the cap to go up.

I voted Yes, I think the NHL will either be right at 1.7b or go up.

GSC2k2*

NotJT said:
The current cap is based off a negotiated WAG of 1.7B in revenue. So revenues this year would have to be greater than 1.7b for the cap to go up.

I voted Yes, I think the NHL will either be right at 1.7b or go up.
I think by "go up", he means "go up over $2.2 billion THIS YEAR". Is that correct?

If that is what you mean - no chance whatsoever.

If you mean "go up over $2.2 billion over the course of the 6 year CBA", well sure.

What DO you mean?

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Looks like, at current, 16 pollsters need to revisit their grammar lessons and change their votes, because, with the question asked, no one should have voted anything other than "Yes."

Could the cap go up? Uh, yes.

Will the cap go up? That's the question.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
One would hope that in time that cap does go up --- if not the league is in some serious poo.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
HockeyCritter said:
One would hope that in time that cap does go up --- if not the league is in some serious poo.

Well, that would stink...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->