Could/Should De la Rose be converted to a defenceman?

Could/Should De la Rose be converted to a defenceman?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
De la Rose is big, a greater, and makes good decisions with the puck. He's also a good stickhandler and has a good shot.

He just has almost no offense.

Could or should he be converted to a defenseman? Is it too late?

I would like to see how he would look on defense. And I wanted to get other posters' perspective.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Why not just convert Deslaurier back to his natural D position instead? Less of a learning curve and he's arguably more offensively oriented than DLR.

De la Rose is a better skater, bigger, smarter with his decisions with the puck, bigger, and less offensive. Sounds like a better defenceman. But you're right about the learning curve. And now that he's not AHL waiver eligible he can't learn in the A.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He may be “bigger” but he doesn’t play it. He has more offensive tools just hasn’t found the confidence to use them in the nhl. Deslaurier has far less tools but uses what he has much more effectively making him more effective then DLR even though he has a fraction of his talent. That’s the learning curve that DLR needs to overcome and of he does, he won’t need to play D. Moving him to a new, more difficult position while he still hasn’t figured out being a forward would be a huge mistake imo. Not really an option.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
De la Rose is big, a greater, and makes good decisions with the puck. He's also a good stickhandler and has a good shot.

He just has almost no offense.

Could or should he be converted to a defenseman? Is it too late?

I would like to see how he would look on defense. And I wanted to get other posters' perspective.

what is the fascination with playing players where they don't belong?

Chucky.....Drouin.....now DLR??

what the hell is next?.....Price at center? :rolleyes:

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

I've alway's said this but unfortunately his development has been completely mismanaged by Bergevin and Therrien by paying him at the goal position.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
With the speed of the NHL now a dman has to be very good at skating backwards, or he won`t be long for the league.

Needs to be able to win physical battles in the corners and in front of the net too.

I don`t see De La Rose there.

It can be done but it seems rare.

Top 5 defensemen/forwards of all-time (sorry, we couldn't come up with 10 good ones) | The Hockey News

That's an interesting article. All of their top five are offensive defencemen. I don't see De la Rose ever being that.

But I really don't care what teams have done in the past. Two years ago, how many teams used one forward at the point on the power play? Very few. This year it's over 90%.

Just because Dandenault sucked on D, doesn't mean others who played forward will.

to be honest?.....in the AHL

I also don't think much of his ceiling at the NHL level. That's why I'd like to see how he could do on D. Not much lost if it doesn't work out (given his ceiling) but potentially a lot gained.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
He's shaping up to be a replacement-level player at forward so it couldn't hurt. Unless he makes a big leap in the next year you'll always be able to find better guys for cheap in free agency or on waivers.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
That's an interesting article. All of their top five are offensive defencemen. I don't see De la Rose ever being that.

But I really don't care what teams have done in the past. Two years ago, how many teams used one forward at the point on the power play? Very few. This year it's over 90%.

Just because Dandenault sucked on D, doesn't mean others who played forward will. .
When I saw the question, the only name that came to mind was Red Kelly. (who was excellent at both).

If you look at the names in that article, they are all very good hockey players

Can you think of others because I can`t.

I think De La Rose has his hands full establishing himself as an NHL player right now.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No, they just need to actually use him...he's always played well when given a real opportunity, which has happened about twice this year

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017

Why not? He clearly has great puck handling/passing ability, hes big, and has great vision. From what I hear from people who see him in practice, he has a pretty good shot too.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Changing positions at the NHL level is just horrible.

Worked pretty well for Wendell Clarke. He played defence all throughout Junior. The Leafs converted him to a forward when he came to the NHL. His Jersey is in the rafters now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad