Could one player have made a difference (Team USA and CAN)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
I'm seeing alot of "experts" and fans alike rebutting the usual Monday morning quarterbacking by saying "One player wouldn't have made a difference"

Really?

What is an MVP? A player without whom the team wouldn't be where they are I would say.

Remember Iginla in the playoffs last season? Flames won/loss record was horrific when he didn't factor on the scoresheet. That man carried the team on his back. How he played generally dictated whether the Flames would win or lose a particular playoff game.

So whose to say that one of the taxi squad might not have been the missing link?

Just a question.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Yeah, if that player for Canada was a Jedi Knight. Maybe he coudl have mind-tricked them into forechecking

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Maybe Chuck Norris could've made a difference for the USA.

But seriously, for Team Canada I think 2 players would have been needed. Spezza would have been a huge factor up front playing with Heatley, his usual linemate.

In my opinion, Team Canada had plenty of pure scorers but not a lot of set up men at the top of their game.

On the blueline, Dion Phaneuf should have been playing in place of McCabe. He has plenty of international experience from World Juniors and has stepped right in at the NHL level. I'd bet my left nut he would've played better than McCabe.

Last edited:

Yureeka47*

Chuck Norris would win the gold without even being in Turin.

MrAlfie

Yureeka47 said:
Chuck Norris would win the gold without even being in Turin.

Chuck Norris IS in Turin... , but he got suspended for the semi finals...
he doesnt care and roundhouse kicked the ref.. now hes gonna show up against finland and go after ruutu

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
Yeah, if that player for Canada was a Jedi Knight. Maybe he coudl have mind-tricked them into forechecking

Isn't Haden Christensen Canadian? ;)

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Mario simply because other teams worry and focus on his legendary status...less pressure on the rest...

Niedermayer was missed and his ability to rush the puck through teams...

McCabe was not a problem from my view, if anything he should have been used only on the Powerplay, Pronger and Blake were terrible...McCabe leads the league I think in PP goals?

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Gretzky did an interview with Bob Costas on NBC last night. He said he FIRMLY believes that the simple prescence of Lemieux and/or Yzerman would have made a world of difference. Even if just in the lockerroom. I was sorta surprised by that comment.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Higgy4 said:
Gretzky did an interview with Bob Costas on NBC last night. He said he FIRMLY believes that the simple prescence of Lemieux and/or Yzerman would have made a world of difference. Even if just in the lockerroom. I was sorta surprised by that comment.

They "choked", plain and simple, when they picked the team. Then they wished Lemieux and Yzerman were there to hold the hands of the "experienced" players they picked.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Higgy4 said:

I Find it hard to believe their mere presence would have meant not being shut out in 3 of last 4 games but that's just me.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Sergei Gonchar was saying the talk in the dressing room before the Rus/Can game was guys like Ovechkin and Kovulchuk and Kaspairitis speculating on what kind of damage Sidney Crosby would have done with all the open ice.

TexSen passed this along to me. I will share.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
2000 years ago the Isreali team would dominate with the superstar Jesus Christ playing.

Jesus...the first Hockey player, he didn't even wait for the water to freeze before stepping onto the ice.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I seriously think that Tanguay, Phaneuf, Crosby and Staal should have been there... Tanguay and Crosby would have provided them the playmaking they lacked imo, and Staal with his incredible talent would've helped a lot too. Why wasn't Phaneuf there bothers my mind, he's incredible defensively, brings a lot of energy and his blast from the point make a 30 megaton atomic bomb sound like a fart.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
SSJTOM said:
2000 years ago the Isreali team would dominate with the superstar Jesus Christ playing.

Jesus...the first Hockey player, he didn't even wait for the water to freeze before stepping onto the ice.

Mahomet is better, admit it! lol :biglaugh:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
franchise player said:
I seriously think that Tanguay, Phaneuf, Crosby and Staal should have been there... Tanguay and Crosby would have provided them the playmaking they lacked imo, and Staal with his incredible talent would've helped a lot too. Why wasn't Phaneuf there bothers my mind, he's incredible defensively, brings a lot of energy and his blast from the point make a 30 megaton atomic bomb sound like a fart.

He should be more careful what he eats.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
franchise player said:
Mahomet is better, admit it! lol :biglaugh:

You spelled his name! Do you have any idea how offensive that is?

Anyways while I disagree and think Jesus would have danced around the "Prophet" even if Jesus was inferior, the Isreali team had that little spark plug David, and Joseph made the absolute best hockey sticks ever back then, they never broke.

It's a team game so Isreal would beat Saudi Arabia, but if the Prophet catches fire, or Coach Judas defects then who knows? In one game eliminations anything can happen.

Sunny Leone*

Higgy4 said:

I think he is right when you play for canada the weight of playing for them is massive its hockey first everything else is second. I saw that interview with costas, Gretz said it seemed like other teams were having fun playing wile the canadians were so serious. I think thats what he meant by the lemieux/Yzerman comment. They would have calmed the team down and got them playing hockey. They also talked about why sidney crosby wasn't in there since ovechkin played so well for russia. Gretz said sids only 18 where ov is 20 and there is a great deal of pressure at 18 for him to handle at souch a young age for canada.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Freudian said:

While I don't think Roenick would have been the complete answer, I think he would have brought some necessary bravado to the table. He might have made a differance in one or more of the close games.

Sunny Leone*

That being said I believe you need a good mix of expierience and youth. yes, I think both stall and crosby should have been out there but they also needed more leadership out there than just joe sakic. Why was paul karyia left off the team? he played well for them when they won gold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Sabres77 said:
I think he is right when you play for canada the weight of playing for them is massive its hockey first everything else is second. I saw that interview with costas, Gretz said it seemed like other teams were having fun playing wile the canadians were so serious. I think thats what he meant by the lemieux/Yzerman comment. They would have calmed the team down and got them playing hockey. They also talked about why sidney crosby wasn't in there since ovechkin played so well for russia. Gretz said sids only 18 where ov is 20 and there is a great deal of pressure at 18 for him to handle at souch a young age for canada.

This is Gretzky's problem not Sid's. He has lived under the media microscope since before he was a teenager. If anything he would have enjoyed it and taken pressure off the rest of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->