Could Olli Maatta return to his rookie season form?

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Maatta has six points in six games. Point per game isn't likely going to last, but just considering his strong showing so far, what do you think: Could Olli Maatta even top his rookie season after all the injuries and health issues? Especially what do Penguins fans think, many of whom, I believe, were ready to let go of the dream that Maatta would ever be where he was in 2014.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
His skating seems to have improved over last season. That's not to say he's suddenly Erik Karlsson back there, but his foot speed looks to have improved over the summer.

IMO, that was the only thing holding him back from being a legitimate top 2, top 3 blueliner. He had the hockey sense and puck skills, but his skating was dragging him down. So far (knock on wood) that seems to have improved.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Im one of his biggest critics and I am here rooting for him to prove me wrong. Looks good so far!

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
He can still be a top defensemen, just needs more time for conditioning to recover. His stride seems to be much better compared to the labored stride he had the past few years, which is a great sign for him. It always seemed like he had trouble estimating his quickness, because of it, causing him to get blown by. Hopefully that will soon change back for him

His speed will never be above average, but he has the tools to adapt if he recover. iirc he still takes cancer medication? Those will always have an effect on lowering his energy level.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Wasn't he quite good allready on playoffs when there was injuries and he had to be more offensive? Maybe coach realised that he isn't stay at home type of d-man but more of a 2-way d-man.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He has looked excellent on the year so far, his skating is noticeably better and he's a lot more aggressive in the play. His confidence and skating look night and day compared to what it was at times last year. I think he's going to top 10 goals and 30 points this year.

Wasn't he quite good allready on playoffs when there was injuries and he had to be more offensive? Maybe coach realised that he isn't stay at home type of d-man but more of a 2-way d-man.

I think it's a confidence thing with him, he's afraid he's going to get burned because he knew he didn't have the wheels to get back, so he played in more of a defensive role. However, now that his skating is better, he's much more engaged offensively. His numbers in the playoffs in the last 2 years were alright, but I think his alright point totals despite not being aggressive offensively. Last season was just an unsustainably bad offensive year, Maatta has pretty consistently over his career been a 25-30 point defenseman per 82 games.

He has always had offensive talent, look at what he did in his rookie season and what he did with Finland in the Olympics in 2014. He has a cannon of a shot, a super high hockey IQ and really good passing abilities. He's just combining those with better skating and a lot more aggression, which is why he's at a PPG right now and is only 1 point behind where he was last year.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
I personally think that his skating is weak, but he is a solid blueline. He's going to make the safe play most of the time. I dont think that he will ever be an offensive defenseman so his skating just has to be good enough. He's below average, but everybody has an area to improve

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I believe I read on here a few seasons ago during the Sullivan coaching change that Maatta was one of the Penguins who suffered the most from this change. Their play style changed dramatically and didn't fit Maatta's preferred system (faster skaters were enjoying it). The team changes along with his injury problems were the main concerns I heard.

As far as I understand, he is still a phenomenal defenseman.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Even with his poor skating the last two years he was a solid dman that was a regular contributor to two cup teams. People exaggerated his poor play because he would get beat spectacularly from time to time, but overall he's still been good. That said his skating and offensive instincts look much improved this year.

Reactions: 99664987

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Maatta has had serious injuries the last couple seasons that has limited his offensive production . Maatta I believe can be a great # 4 if he can stay injury free. Maatta putting up 8-10 goals 30+assists 40 + points and playing solid defence is very possible for him.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Maatta looked so good in Soshi, he's not back to that level yet, but it's looking like he's well on his way.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Curiously enough, Ryan Murray is also having a killer start to the season.

I'm really starting to wonder about these two. It's like they're quantum entangled or something.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Curiously enough, Ryan Murray is also having a killer start to the season.

I'm really starting to wonder about these two. It's like they're quantum entangled or something.

Well they're close in age and have both missed significant time when you should be developing. Now both are healthy, getting closer to that 25 yr old mark. The talent will never go away.

At the end of the day they both had successful rookie years as 19-20 yr olds. If you're able to do that as a dman, there's no question your prime at +25 should be pretty good.

Hope they keep it up.

Reactions: Viqsi

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
His production aside, his overall play, and specifically his skating has been significantly better then what we've seen the last couple of years - much closer to what we saw in his first couple of seasons.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maatta has had serious injuries the last couple seasons that has limited his offensive production . Maatta I believe can be a great # 4 if he can stay injury free. Maatta putting up 8-10 goals 30+assists 40 + points and playing solid defence is very possible for him.

If those are numbers you'd expect from a "great #4", your expectations are kind of high. Those would be good numbers for a lot of legitimate top pairing guys, let alone a #4.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
His skating has been his main limiting factor after all the injuries and sickness, and having a rough adjustment to your new, slower pace can definitely affect your confidence. With improved skating, he has legit top pairing potential. Seeing him struggle was hard, as he looked so good in the olympics, so I'm glad he seems to be back on track now.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
If those are numbers you'd expect from a "great #4", your expectations are kind of high. Those would be good numbers for a lot of legitimate top pairing guys, let alone a #4.
Not really the Penguins already have a defenceman who isn't a top pairing guy who put up better numbers than that last season .

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
If you don't believe he's good enough to do it that's okay with me . I do think he's good enough to do it but he'll have to do it on a 2nd pairing

Last edited:

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Not really the Penguins already have a defenceman who isn't a top pairing guy who put up better numbers than that last season .

Justin Schultz basically split the #1D duties with Letang last year when he put up those points though.

Edit: To make myself clear, that was because Letang was out for half the season.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Justin Schultz basically split the #1D duties with Letang last year when he put up those points though.

Edit: To make myself clear, that was because Letang was out for half the season.
So what Schultz put up 55 pts I'm saying Maatta can get 40 and Schultz still isn't a 1st pairing defenceman

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
So what Schultz put up 55 pts I'm saying Maatta can get 40 and Schultz still isn't a 1st pairing defenceman

First off he put up 51 points, not 55. Second, you are mixing seasons and Schultz is not a 51 points player outside of the top pairing which you insinuates.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The last 2 years his skating held him back, this year it has been significantly better. The talent and the IQ has been there though. Getting in a full off season to train has done wonders for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad