Could Crosby play in the WHA in 04-05?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I was just wondering if it were possible that Sidney Crosby could be signed up to play in the WHA in 04-05. Especially if the league signs up a bunch of out of work NHLers.

Kind of like Gretzky playing for Indianapolis and Edmonton at 17 years old.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Jim Bob said:
I was just wondering if it were possible that Sidney Crosby could be signed up to play in the WHA in 04-05. Especially if the league signs up a bunch of out of work NHLers.

Kind of like Gretzky playing for Indianapolis and Edmonton at 17 years old.

All depends on what they're offering/what the league potential looks like, wouldn't rule it out though.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
DaveyCrockett said:
It would certainly be very interesting if he did. He could also play in the AHL since the would be no CBA that says he can't.

The stumbling block there would be the fact that I doubt the NHL teams would want Crosby taking away ice time from their prospects.

The IHL was known for having pre-draft eligible players playing in their league. But that's never really been the case in the AHL.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Crosby could not play in any other league other than the QMJHL because he is under contract to Rimouski. I don't see Rimouski releasing him from his contract except to play in the NHL as an 18 year old, in accordance with the CHL/NHL Agreement to which they are a party.

He also could not play in the AHL. It is not the CBA which requires players under 20 years old to play in either the NHL or in Major Junior; it is the CHL/NHL Agreement.

Heater15

Jun 22, 2003
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I would love to see Crosby play in the WHA. Then we wouldn't have to read about how Ovechkin is playing against men and crap like that. It would be awesome if Crosby did follow in 99's foot steps. It would also help him adapt to the faster pace quicker for when he did get drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad