Could a team trade their lottery ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
If, for example, a team wanted to load up with some cheap talent or a massive influx of $$$$ - would they be able to trade their lottery ball prior to the picks being made next week, since the lottery only would be held immediately after the voting by both sides and as such, no CBA would be in place.

I realize that this is highly rhetorical - but what if?

PredsFan77*

yes....I forsee The Rangers buying everyones balls.

You balls belong to Cablevision

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
I don't think any teams can make any trades before the CBA is fully in effect... and as soon as the CBA comes into effect, the draft order is announced.

dmcilvan

Oct 25, 2004
Well, if the balls are just treated as a first rounder than you could probably just trade your first round draft pick which is essentially the lottery balls.

GlueleG

Mar 29, 2002
Brooklin, Ontario
Visit site
goteam said:
If, for example, a team wanted to load up with some cheap talent or a massive influx of $$$$ - would they be able to trade their lottery ball prior to the picks being made next week, since the lottery only would be held immediately after the voting by both sides and as such, no CBA would be in place.

I dont know ... do you really want to be left with no balls?

PEli*

I'm sure it would be interesting to see the quotes after draft day...

"We were really interested in moving up in the draft but we didn't have enough balls. Teams like Chicago, Buffalo and the Rangers...they had all the balls. We wanted them. But there were too many ballsy deals floating around and when you've only got two balls, it sure would be a shame to lose one."

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
PEli said:
I'm sure it would be interesting to see the quotes after draft day...

"We were really interested in moving up in the draft but we didn't have enough balls. Teams like Chicago, Buffalo and the Rangers...they had all the balls. We wanted them. But there were too many ballsy deals floating around and when you've only got two balls, it sure would be a shame to lose one."

that is hysterical .... :biglaugh: to answer the initial Q, if it is a serious one, no teams can't trade their balls to another team or buy more balls .... no transactions are allowed until after the ratification and siging of the new CBA. this will hppen after the draft lottery.

Potted Plant

May 30, 2003
Tuscaloosa, AL
Visit site
The idea I had was to allow teams to trade "cap space". Say, like this just as an example:

Detroit gets: 4th round draft pick plus $1.5 million in cap space for 3 years
Columbus gets: 2nd round draft pick.

It treats cap room not as an absolute, but as a tradeable commodity, like draft choices.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
HighlyRegardedRookie said:
The idea I had was to allow teams to trade "cap space". Say, like this just as an example:

It treats cap room not as an absolute, but as a tradeable commodity, like draft choices.
completely contradicts the idea of having a cap at all. the richest teams will then still have 60 million to use for a team

Moon Man*

Larry Quinn has been on the phone with Bill Daly talking about his balls all day.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
HighlyRegardedRookie said:

Terrible idea, as it encourages cheap owners to sell their cap space to the Rangers for draft picks. Personally, I think the minimum team budget should be raised, if anything.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the draft lottery will be held BEFORE the lockout is officially over, therefore teams can't traded their lottery spot since trades won't be allowed...you'd have to wait till trades are allowed which will be after the lottery.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
goteam said:

I was actually kinda wondering about this myself, but the people who say that they can't be traded since the lockout won't be over until after the draft are on the money. Still, it's kind of an interesting idea. Would they mark the traded balls to see who the original owner was? And would a team with one ball who trades it be giving up their first round pick? Or what if a team with three balls sells one and that's the one that gets picked first. Would that team lose their first round pick?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Vicious Vic said:
I was actually kinda wondering about this myself, but the people who say that they can't be traded since the lockout won't be over until after the draft are on the money. Still, it's kind of an interesting idea. Would they mark the traded balls to see who the original owner was? And would a team with one ball who trades it be giving up their first round pick? Or what if a team with three balls sells one and that's the one that gets picked first. Would that team lose their first round pick?

i would assume no, because if Team A has 3 balls and sells one to Team B, then when Team B wins they don't get another first round pick.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
The way i see it...the following takes place.

Edmonton trades away their lottery balls and announces they have "no balls".

JK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->