Cory Schneider in QMJHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
cagney said:
I respect the fact that winning the Memorial Cup is quite an accomplishment but what should it matter to a kid from New England? It's not like he's been dreaming of it his whole life like many Canadian kids do.

He's a high school graduate who values education and has a scholarship to a good school. On top of this, he'll have the chance to play on a team that should be at the top of college hockey for the forseeable future. Four years from now he'll have a college degree, possibly an NCAA title (or two), and at 22 years old, more experience than he would have as a 20 year old coming out of juniors (thus a better chance to go directly to the NHL rather than spending time in the minors).

What, besides the chance to win a title he may not even know exists, is Schneider's incentive to go to juniors? The chance to be a popular guy in Rimouski? I think he'll choose the college degree.

Ok i guess you never been to an Oceanic Game in your life, don' know Oceanic Fans, don't know nothing about us... see... this guy is certainly smart... and his parents too... would you want to play on a team with one of the best prospect we have see in years or be on a team that nobody knows the existence... ok i guesse you dont know what crosby can do on the ice... ok that's okay... Schneider will come in the Q

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
montreal said:
I thought Schneider verbally committed to BC? I know he can still go the CHL route, but usually a verbal commitment is solid.

don't think he did that... because Rimouski GM talked about him all week long and didnt made a trade for a Goaltender on the Q Draft... so...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
CrosbyIsGod said:
Ok i guess you never been to an Oceanic Game in your life, don' know Oceanic Fans, don't know nothing about us... see... this guy is certainly smart... and his parents too... would you want to play on a team with one of the best prospect we have see in years or be on a team that nobody knows the existence... ok i guesse you dont know what crosby can do on the ice... ok that's okay... Schneider will come in the Q

So playing with Crosby should be more important to Schneider than getting a college education? Yeah, that makes sense.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
CrosbyIsGod said:

You don't get it. Stop being an Oceanic fan for a second and use your brain. Unless they offer the kid something he can not refuse, he's not giving up a shot at his NCAA dream to come play in Canada. He'll be drafted this year so playing with Crosby does not really matter other then to pad his stats for a contract. But what happens to him in 05-06 when Sid, Pouliot, and co are gone?

And it's obvious by your comments that YOU have never seen an NCAA game or you would not be making such foolish statements.

Using your logic EVERY top player in the world would be begging to come to Rimouski. American kids don't care about playing for your team unless you offer them some kind of guaranteed education and that's why they'd play for you, not because your rink is nice or you have a lot of fans.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
because everyone will watch what sid Crosby and the Oceanic do... and if Scheider is as good as they say... they could speak about him a lot... yeah he will be drafted... but it will give him better chance to sign a contrat...

anyway forgot about what i say

Also... Rimouski is one the best team for students... look at Richards and Crosby that came to Rimouski, cuz if they failed in their hockey dreams... they they'll will have some bourses and money, and a promess to pay their university courses or something like that... we've done that for several players... ten i think.. dont remember

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CrosbyIsGod said:
because everyone will watch what sid Crosby and the Oceanic do... and if Scheider is as good as they say... they could speak about him a lot... yeah he will be drafted... but it will give him better chance to sign a contrat...

anyway forgot about what i say

Also... Rimouski is one the best team for students... look at Richards and Crosby that came to Rimouski, cuz if they failed in their hockey dreams... they they'll will have some bourses and money, and a promess to pay their university courses or something like that... we've done that for several players... ten i think.. dont remember

Its different. For us, growing up in Canada we always dream about playing for the Memorial Cup and playing in the CHL, but for Americans they dream about playing in the NCAA.

If Schnieder really wants to play in the NCAA and live his dream, Crosby wont change that.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
RyanM said:
You don't get it. Stop being an Oceanic fan for a second and use your brain. Unless they offer the kid something he can not refuse, he's not giving up a shot at his NCAA dream to come play in Canada. He'll be drafted this year so playing with Crosby does not really matter other then to pad his stats for a contract. But what happens to him in 05-06 when Sid, Pouliot, and co are gone?

And it's obvious by your comments that YOU have never seen an NCAA game or you would not be making such foolish statements.

Using your logic EVERY top player in the world would be begging to come to Rimouski. American kids don't care about playing for your team unless you offer them some kind of guaranteed education and that's why they'd play for you, not because your rink is nice or you have a lot of fans.

Personally, not knowing anything whatsoever about Schneider or his preferences, I don't think the choice is quite as cut-and-dried as most posters here seem to be making it, re: BC vs. Rimouski. Now, for all I know, he could have been dreaming all his life of playing for BC, getting his degree, etc, etc. That would certainly weigh in. And I don't think his attraction to Rimouski would necessarily be directly because of Crosby, etc.

Whichever choice he made would factor in a lot of considerations. But it would more likely have to do with his NHL aspirations than anything else. If he (or his agent) feels that there is more profit to be made in going the Canadian Junior route, then that could well be a key motivating factor. He can be signed sometime in the next two years, getting a nice bonus, getting some perks in Rimouski, possibly getting into one of the CHL university programs along the way, and maybe feel that he's on more of a fast-track to the pro ranks. Look at the money that guys like Harding, Deslauriers, and Ward just got. The Quebec league has a reputation as a goalie factory. And he would be on a good team in Rimouski that might get him a lot of exposure and pad his stats nicely.

Not that he couldn't get something similar by turning pro after two years from BC, but who knows what his agent might be advising on that score, or what the respective sales jobs of his two suitors might be. He can probably satisfy his competitive or academic desires from either path. He might be able to satisfy his financial desires either way too, but he probably gets a couple of more immediate options on that score with the junior route.

penkil2

Dec 5, 2003
MI
Visit site
bigd said:
He will be at BC next year. You can take that to the bank. He is a smart kid with a 4.0 GPA at Andover Acadamy, a very tough school!

If he really was smart he would go to the Q. He may not get to many chances to play with Matti K. still at BC. Pierce only played 3 games this past year. York tends to lean on Matti big time. If Corey has any desire to play in the NHL, he should go to Q. The players in NCAA don't hold a candle to the talent in Maj. Jr.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
Personally, not knowing anything whatsoever about Schneider or his preferences, I don't think the choice is quite as cut-and-dried as most posters here seem to be making it, re: BC vs. Rimouski. Now, for all I know, he could have been dreaming all his life of playing for BC, getting his degree, etc, etc. That would certainly weigh in. And I don't think his attraction to Rimouski would necessarily be directly because of Crosby, etc.

Whichever choice he made would factor in a lot of considerations. But it would more likely have to do with his NHL aspirations than anything else. If he (or his agent) feels that there is more profit to be made in going the Canadian Junior route, then that could well be a key motivating factor. He can be signed sometime in the next two years, getting a nice bonus, getting some perks in Rimouski, possibly getting into one of the CHL university programs along the way, and maybe feel that he's on more of a fast-track to the pro ranks. Look at the money that guys like Harding, Deslauriers, and Ward just got. The Quebec league has a reputation as a goalie factory. And he would be on a good team in Rimouski that might get him a lot of exposure and pad his stats nicely.

Not that he couldn't get something similar by turning pro after two years from BC, but who knows what his agent might be advising on that score, or what the respective sales jobs of his two suitors might be. He can probably satisfy his competitive or academic desires from either path. He might be able to satisfy his financial desires either way too, but he probably gets a couple of more immediate options on that score with the junior route.

You are Right...

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
Using your logic EVERY top player in the world would be begging to come to Rimouski.

ok, for those who don't know the Q...

Center of the NHL universe = Toronto Maple leafs

Maple leafs equivalent in the Q = Rimouski.

The Océanic were more talked about on Q message boards in the FINAL and the MEM cup than Gatineau or Moncton were.

:lol:

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Leph28 said:
Using your logic EVERY top player in the world would be begging to come to Rimouski.

The Océanic were more talked about on Q message boards in the FINAL and the MEM cup than Gatineau or Moncton were.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leph28 said:

LOL its true man :)

I always thought Halifax got a lot of press, until this year with the Crosby show.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
Leph28 said:

Yep and during trade time EVERY top player is going to Rimouski. I think they've had a Steve Bernier rumor going on since the day Moncton drafted him.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
RyanM said:
Yep and during trade time EVERY top player is going to Rimouski. I think they've had a Steve Bernier rumor going on since the day Moncton drafted him.

I think its since when we'va had Roussin from Sherbrooke... we dream about a Bernier-Pouliot-Roussin lines... just to remembers the old days of midget when they won the trophy for best midget hockey team... i dont know whats the name of the big trophy

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:

A clarification here....if Schneider goes to BC (which is a very distinct possibility) or is even thinking about it he cannot have an agent because it violates NCAA rules.

Another thing, the Canadian press can also be wrong too. Not necessarily saying that they're absolutely wrong on the Schneider to the "Q" report (although they could be), but I've Emailed two members of the Canadian press twice this past season for erroneous reports in regards to the NCAA.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
La-La-Laprise said:
Sauve is canadian.

He has a french accent. Sauce was born in the USA, but he played Midget hockey in Quebec.

Dilorenzo was ****, Ruggerio was ok.

Sauve played for the U.S. at the WJC's, and was a member of the PlanetUSA All-Stars in the AHL All-Star game, so he both considers himself American (to a certain extent), and is recognized (to a certain extent) as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->