Corsica

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Indeed, without custom query the site is just really nice to look at. Hard to learn anything without the customization of smaller or(more importantly) much larger sample sizes.

van22

May 25, 2014
Could someone look into this please. Just a bit too caught up in other things right now to do a proper follow up.

Using the Live Games stats on Corsica. EDM@VAN - 7 October
NHL's play-by-play: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20172018/PL020028.HTM
Event summary: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20172018/ES020028.HTM

Vanek served a bench minor. Corsica credits him with 1 IPENT but it was considered a team penalty. Why would it be credited to Vanek.

Stecher had 2 separate penalties: 5 PIM for fighting + later 2 PIM for hooking
Corsica has him with 2 IPENT. And 1 IPEND as Strome also went to the box for fighting. Are the minutes available somewhere. What about majors, instigators and double minors. Quick look at the COL@NJD game on the same day, double minors seem to have been counted as two IPENT/IPEND.

Delay penalty for Jokinen drawn by Gagner. No IPENT for Jokinen or IPEND for Gagner at 5vs5 (or in all situations). Where did that go.

In the COL@NJD game the delay penalty got recorded though. Santini drawn by Comeau. It was taken at 5vs5 but the play stopped with the extra attacker and it got recorded in all situations and not at 5vs5. Is that logic.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
Could someone look into this please. Just a bit too caught up in other things right now to do a proper follow up.

Vanek served a bench minor. Corsica credits him with 1 IPENT but it was considered a team penalty. Why would it be credited to Vanek.

Corsica has him with 2 IPENT. And 1 IPEND as Strome also went to the box for fighting. Are the minutes available somewhere. What about majors, instigators and double minors. Quick look at the COL@NJD game on the same day, double minors seem to have been counted as two IPENT/IPEND.

Delay penalty for Jokinen drawn by Gagner. No IPENT for Jokinen or IPEND for Gagner at 5vs5 (or in all situations). Where did that go.

In the COL@NJD game the delay penalty got recorded though. Santini drawn by Comeau. It was taken at 5vs5 but the play stopped with the extra attacker and it got recorded in all situations and not at 5vs5. Is that logic.
Please bear in mind that these HTML reports may not experience corrections that will appear in the live json Corsica is likely using.

But there are discrepancies between these reports and ideally you merge them and then cross-proof them.

eperry

Jun 27, 2016

Penalties taken are attributed to the player who serves the penalty. Double minors are counted as two minor penalties. Major penalties (PENT5) are kept separate from minors (PENT2), but PENT combines the two.

There was no delay of game penalty in the game you linked.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Am I computer illiterate and just having trouble using Corsica or is it possible my computer cant handle it. I'm thinking it's the former since I've tried in my work computer (dell) and my home computer which is a brand new MacBook.

Anyway the site is just empty for me. For example when I go into skater stats the only option given is to "save" in a little box that says download table. But there are no dropdowns or options to even select anything. I was a hockeyanalysis user so I'm unfamiliar with Corsica. Is my computer just not retrieving any data or am I missing something?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Am I computer illiterate and just having trouble using Corsica or is it possible my computer cant handle it. I'm thinking it's the former since I've tried in my work computer (dell) and my home computer which is a brand new MacBook.

Anyway the site is just empty for me. For example when I go into skater stats the only option given is to "save" in a little box that says download table. But there are no dropdowns or options to even select anything. I was a hockeyanalysis user so I'm unfamiliar with Corsica. Is my computer just not retrieving any data or am I missing something?

The default 'TOI Minimum' is 50 minutes. You have to adjust that on the bar below because no skater has amassed 50 minutes of 5v5 TOI yet...

van22

May 25, 2014
Penalties taken are attributed to the player who serves the penalty. Double minors are counted as two minor penalties. Major penalties (PENT5) are kept separate from minors (PENT2), but PENT combines the two.

There was no delay of game penalty in the game you linked.

Team penalty to the player serving the penalty. It makes the player look more undisciplined than he is in those GAR charts or in other penalty differential illustrations.

Slashing by Jokinen on Gagner was a delayed penalty call at the 2:49 mark in the 2nd period per the game sheets above. That penalty is not recorded in the 'live game' and under the player stats. There's no IPEND for Gagner or IPENT for Jokinen.

Last night OTT@VAN there was also a delayed penalty call. Slashing by Brassard on Hutton at the 10:36 mark in the 1st period. This time the penalty was recorded and counted under all situations. Shouldn't it be 5-on-5 though as it was drawn before the goalie was replaced by an extra attacker.

Play-by-play for that game: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20172018/PL020044.HTM

In that same game, Vanek drew a penalty at 5-on-5 at 7:53 in the 3rd. It was taken by goalie Andersson but served by Dzingel. That penalty is not recorded in the 'live game' or in the players stats for Vanek. He too has no IPEND.

Last edited:

eperry

Jun 27, 2016
Team penalty to the player serving the penalty. It makes the player look more undisciplined than he is in those GAR charts or in other penalty differential illustrations.

Slashing by Jokinen on Gagner was a delayed penalty call at the 2:49 mark in the 2nd period per the game sheets above. That penalty is not recorded in the 'live game' and under the player stats. There's no IPEND for Gagner or IPENT for Jokinen.

Last night OTT@VAN there was also a delayed penalty call. Slashing by Brassard on Hutton at the 10:36 mark in the 1st period. This time the penalty was recorded and counted under all situations. Shouldn't it be 5-on-5 though as it was drawn before the goalie was replaced by an extra attacker.

Play-by-play for that game: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20172018/PL020044.HTM

In that same game, Vanek drew a penalty at 5-on-5 at 7:53 in the 3rd. It was taken by goalie Andersson but served by Dzingel. That penalty is not recorded in the 'live game' or in the players stats for Vanek. He too has no IPEND.

How do you expect to record the time at which an infraction occurred when it is only listed in the PBP when the call is made?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Indeed, without custom query the site is just really nice to look at. Hard to learn anything without the customization of smaller or(more importantly) much larger sample sizes.
Smaller samples sizes and overuse of customer queries can make learning anything almost impossible. The smaller the sample size the less meaningful the result, and customized queries can be prone to either intentional or unintentional cherry picking.

Unless you have a clear and independent reason for picking a certain date range, you probably should not be using a date range to begin with. It can still make sense to do so if you are looking at something the impact of an injury or change in role, but IMO the majority of the time people are just trying to cherry pick date ranges where some favored player has good numbers.

van22

May 25, 2014
How do you expect to record the time at which an infraction occurred when it is only listed in the PBP when the call is made?

The play-by-play shows that the team getting the powerplay has 6 skaters on the ice and no goalie at the time of the call. The TOI reports show when a goalie has gone to the bench so that's a possible proxy for the time of the penalty.

If a team is in the lead or in a tie game it's unlikely that they pull the goalie to add an attacker unless it's a delayed penalty call. On the play-by-play the next wave of players after the penalty would have the goalie back in net. Even if a team is trailing they typically only pull the goalie at the end of a game and not in the middle of it.

It's more about understanding how the data is compiled to know how to interpret the different charts produced. Might still be worth to look into the two penalties missing per posts above to make sure that these are exceptions.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Love the website but always getting errors, is there a browser that works best for the site?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Love the website but always getting errors, is there a browser that works best for the site?

I've tried several but always the same problems, was hoping the reboot would correct it but not so far. If you take your time selecting filters, its more likely to work. If you get tired of messing with it, Naturalstatstick is a pretty good alternative. I miss hockey.analysis

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
I've tried several but always the same problems, was hoping the reboot would correct it but not so far. If you take your time selecting filters, its more likely to work. If you get tired of messing with it, Naturalstatstick is a pretty good alternative. I miss hockey.analysis

Fair enough I just wanna be able to see ICFper60 for each line without getting the error.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->