OT: Coronavirus XXXI: Tighter Alberta Restrictions Through The Holiday Season, Stay Safe Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yikes ... I don’t think I’ve ever read the words ‘lie, liar and lying’ as many times in thirty minutes as I did going over the last few pages. Pretty big words to be throwing around. I guess I was brought up differently because I was taught that calling someone a liar is an absolute last resort. I think the word is mostly being misused in this thread. People can be passionately and honestly mistaken about something. It is caused by a lack of proper information (certainly a problem with this pandemic) or a misunderstanding in consuming information. It would be great if folks could disagree without going straight to ‘liar, liar’ as a way to discredit others.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Unfortunately there's no way of satisfying the doomsayers. Every action taken will be deemed inadequate or too late in coming, and that applies to everything. After Covid mercifully fizzles out they'll be on the next thing. I'm old enough to have gone through a full generation of this now. Y2K, terrorists, bird flu, Sars, West Nile, H1N1, hole in the ozone layer, melting ice caps, weapons of mass destruction, anthrax...the list of things that were supposed to kill us all just in the last 20 years is so long that it's surely amazing we're still alive to recount it all.
I am almost 40. What was supposed to almost kill us the last 20+ years where we could have caught it like Covid and had to stay indoors and it was worldwide? I cannot recall anything like this.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
If you're under the age of 70, your chances of ICU survival are quite good.

COVID-19 Alberta statistics

View attachment 378996
Everybody knows this, but what irks me is when you go on social media or somewhere and people just brush Covid off and show charts about it really getting 70+ year olds.

Are their lives worth less? Are their last 15-20 years not worth some of these "over the top" measures we are taking? This isn't directed at you, I mean in general.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
actually there are guidelines available

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/assets/info/ppih/if-ppih-covid-19-care-adult-critically-ill.pdf

And I would definitely argue that most of those exceed “basic patient care”.

you can also teach a monkey how to do skills. what’s more valuable is critical thinking which is developed with experience, and that is why I’d argue why you can’t just put any nurse in the ICU and expect positive patient outcomes.
It’s true. However necessity is the mother of invention.

Reactions: oilers'72

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I am almost 40. What was supposed to almost kill us the last 20+ years where we could have caught it like Covid and had to stay indoors and it was worldwide? I cannot recall anything like this.

There was nothing like it because this social distancing thing came out in 2006. H1N1 in 2009 they over reacted to. Then you have the 1975, 1968, and 1957 pandemics as well. Covid has been overblown in the historical sense.

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad