Cormier selected 5th in Q draft

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
They picked up a couple picks in the last little while, apparently in the hopes of trading up to take both Sauve and either Cormier or Cornet. Ended up trading less, getting both Cornet and Cormier, and two other excellent picks.

Four picks in the first eight... man oh man, have they got the system figured out.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Perhaps someone has been playing a little bit of EHM. Practice makes perfect. :D

Hopefully they don't all bust. ;)

PEli*

Rimouski is a strange story. They had some solid young talent but dealt it for younger and equally solid talent. Obviously, they're trying to build a core of players the same age so they can make one or two huge runs when it all works itself out.

It reads like an HF member's dream. Draft prospects and trade them all at the next draft. Win a title and repeat.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Vincent_TheGreat said:
Not only that, the possibility of Frolik, man that team is going to be talented, extremely young though.

I don't know how good they will be next year, but in two years, it's gonna be insane!

And as for Cormier being "only" the 5th pick, I think he had a list of teams that he didn't wanted to play for, and Victoriaville was one of them...maybe we have the reason why he kind of fell a little bit.

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Freaky Habs Fan said:
I don't know how good they will be next year, but in two years, it's gonna be insane!

And as for Cormier being "only" the 5th pick, I think he had a list of teams that he didn't wanted to play for, and Victoriaville was one of them...maybe we have the reason why he kind of fell a little bit.

Yeah, that's why Rimouski didn't pick him 2nd. They knew that by doing this move, Victoriaville would have take Cornet 3rd overall... So they pick Cornet knowing that Cormier would still be available at 5 because PEI was going to take local kid Chris Doyle.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Cormier played up the I don't want to play QMJHL route at the end of this year near the draft. He never attended the pre draft stuff like the other prospects did and when drafted he emerged from the back room where he was not sitting with anyother player. So he was hidding and Rimouski already had his name sewen on the jersey. He would have been 1st or 2nd overall, but Rimouski knew they were going to have slack with his I might go NCAA route, taht is the only reason Cormier fell to 5th overall.

Foredeck

Jan 20, 2006
He was not even saying NCAA, he mentionned Jr A, and still does a bit. In two interviews after the draft, he still mentions that he might consider Jr A in the US.

He still lost quite a bit during the past year. At this time last year, he was a sure 1st overall pick, then Sauve was tied with him, then he moved to a clear 2nd, and down to tied for the top 6. He was very disapointed that he was not picked 1 or 2.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Foredeck said:
He was not even saying NCAA, he mentionned Jr A, and still does a bit. In two interviews after the draft, he still mentions that he might consider Jr A in the US.

He still lost quite a bit during the past year. At this time last year, he was a sure 1st overall pick, then Sauve was tied with him, then he moved to a clear 2nd, and down to tied for the top 6. He was very disapointed that he was not picked 1 or 2.

Lets see, said he was considering Jr. A in the US...well he wouldn't consider that unless he had other plans than the CHL, that is why is dropped to 6th. Players only don't play in the CHL when they are given a chance because they are thinking other routes to take.

HABFAN28

Jun 25, 2005
Vald'Or, Quebec
the 6'4" in the 4th round and the Foreurs

I think the guy you're talking about is Moisan... I've seen him play a lot this year as the MAAA team he plays for is in my home town... He's not really good, he has a lot of difficulty in handling the puck and with the speed of the game... He was taken by the Foreurs because they lack size... the took Shawn Morton-Boutin in the 1st round also. Here in Amos we were able to see that Cornet was the best player with Morton-Boutin close as an offensive defenseman. Morton-Boutin lacks size tough for a d-men but has an excellent on-ice vision and knwos the game well.

For Moisan he may become a good player in the Q... because his lacks of abiblity may be caused by his fast physical devellopement (he did grow real fast). If he can become a better skater he may be a good Q defenseman in the future.

For the trade that sent the 5th pick overall of the Foreurs, that is mainly caused by the lack of interest in the other players available after Cornet was taken. Cornet is a local and we all know that the Foreurs have a hard time convincing quality players to come over to play in they're hometown. They could have taken Esposito but they knew only the Remparts would be able to convince him. So they opted for a trade again this year.

The Foreurs as usual took small but skilled players... so the had to take a chance on a few big players late in the draft.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
anyone know if mike cichy from the jr bruins is going to report? he was a 3rd rounder which is high for an american, usually means they will report.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
nomorekids said:
am I the only one who hates it when players\teams manipulate the system to ensure they play for the team they want to play for?

why even have a draft?

I agree completely. I'm not sure how the system can be fixed, though. I just wish a GM would nut up and draft a kid even if he says he doesn't want to play there, as that would at least put a dent in the BS some of these kids pull.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
King'sPawn said:
I agree completely. I'm not sure how the system can be fixed, though. I just wish a GM would nut up and draft a kid even if he says he doesn't want to play there, as that would at least put a dent in the BS some of these kids pull.

they should make it so that a player has to sign a paper a few days in advance to say they are comming QMJHL or they can not enter for that year.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
While that option may stop a kid from trying to select the team he'll be drafted by, no GM is going to waste a first round pick on a player that won't report. I'm not sure what the solution is, but the draft process is flawed.

HABFAN28

Jun 25, 2005
Vald'Or, Quebec
The way it should be solved...

To be drafted you should put your name on a list of eligible players. So to get drafted in the Q you'd commit to play anywhere in the league. This should be an agreement made by all the teams in the CHL and the NCAA. The list would confirm who wants to play in which league so a player won't be able to play elsewhere except if he hasn't been drafted.

It's quite simple that way and no team would waste a pick on a player that doesn't want to play for them or doesn't want to play in the Q. If the player decide not to play for the team that he was drafted by, the team has his rights and he won't be able to play elsewhere in North America.

That would solve the problem in my opinion.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
HABFAN28 said:
To be drafted you should put your name on a list of eligible players. So to get drafted in the Q you'd commit to play anywhere in the league. This should be an agreement made by all the teams in the CHL and the NCAA. The list would confirm who wants to play in which league so a player won't be able to play elsewhere except if he hasn't been drafted.

It's quite simple that way and no team would waste a pick on a player that doesn't want to play for them or doesn't want to play in the Q. If the player decide not to play for the team that he was drafted by, the team has his rights and he won't be able to play elsewhere in North America.

I agree, these players should not be having pull on who they want to play for, and a pre signing to say I will play in such and such league next year would really fix that problem.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
HABFAN28 said:

I think the NCAA would love it if the CHL instituted this rule.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Charlie_Girl said:
While that option may stop a kid from trying to select the team he'll be drafted by, no GM is going to waste a first round pick on a player that won't report. I'm not sure what the solution is, but the draft process is flawed.

Right, that's why I said "nut up" :D But it's understandable why GMs won't take the chance, I just hate to see a bunch of 16 year-olds saying how things are going to go. Hell, if I was 16 again, I'd LOVE to have the honor to get drafted to play on a team, let alone in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->