Corey Perry HHOF?

Will Corey Perry get into the Hockey Hall of Fame when his career is over?

• Total voters

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
If he is productive another 3-4 years, he may well be. If he has another season like last year, and doesn't rebound, probably not.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
For a guy who won a Hart Trophy, I'm actually not too high on him. I think Getzlaf is the better player on the same team. For me, the answer is no.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I agree with you guys that he needs to pick it up again but -
He'll get in. I agree Getzlaf is the better player but Perry has the better Hall resume.
Not just the Hart trophy, but all the other team accomplishments as he's won everything out there.

I'll miss a few players for sure but look at his contemporaries - drafted from '99 - '06 - whom he will be up against. 7 years of inductions.
Keith, Bergeron, Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Toews, Are probably the only 6 locks at the moment.

then you're looking at Heatley, J. Williams, Spezza, R. Nash, Getzlaf, Weber, E. Staal, J. Carter, Fleury, Parise, Kopitar, Backstrom, Kessel - there's definitely a few more in this tier.
(not sure what they'll do with Kovalchuk?)

Unless you can find enough guys on that second list with better resumes - odds are he'll be inducted.

Reactions: 29GoalHoglund

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Are we going to assess his chances based on what the actual standard for HHOF induction is (ie take into account that the HHOF has players like Dick Duff and Clark Gillies as members) or pretend as if a player has to have an Yzerman or Messier level career to stand a chance?

If the former is the case, he absolutely has a shot. Like Nash, he still has some work to do. However, his Hart-winning season puts him above Nash in the pecking order. Nash seems like much more of a long-shot at this point.

I made a post where I outlined how many more points certain players who are among the top 50 active points leaders needed to reach 1000...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...u-place-the-50-active-points-leaders.2395167/

"Corey Perry has two top ten points finishes (third and fifth) and five top ten goals finishes. He won the Hart and Rocket Richard trophies in '11. He won a Cup in '07 and has 89 playoff points and four playoff OT winners.

He needs to average 56 points per season for five seasons to reach the 1000 point mark. He will turn 33 after this season.

Corey Perry will make the Hall of Fame without question if he reaches 1000 career points. He may get in with 900+."

Last edited:
Reactions: stl76

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Hell no....I can't believe he won the Hart...he had a couple good seasons..that's it.

Except check this out...

Top five points finishes:

Corey Perry: 2

The following Hockey Hall of Fame members...

Joe Mullen: 0

Pat LaFontaine: 1

Lanny McDonald: 0

Clark Gillies: 0

Cam Neely: 0

Top ten goals finishes:

Corey Perry: 5

Joe Mullen: 3

Pat LaFontaine: 2

Lanny McDonald: 4

Cam Neely: 4

Career points:

Joe Mullen: 1063

Pat LaFontaine: 1013

Lanny McDonald: 1006

Corey Perry: 721

Gillies: 697

Neely: 694

Era-adjusted point totals:

Joe Mullen: 918

Pat LaFontaine: 902

Lanny McDonald: 836

Corey Perry: 804 (prior to this season)

Cam Neely: 629

Clark Gillies: 575

Perry's won his Cup and has won his awards. He has plenty of finishes in the top ten for goals and more finishes in the top five for points than some Hall of Fame members. He merely needs to pad his stats and he'll be indicted into the HHOF. He has already surpassed the careers of Cam Neely and Clark Gillies (mind you, Gillies is an absolutely atrocious inductee).

If Perry averages merely 45 points during the remainder of this season and then for the next three seasons, he'll hit 900 career points, which would put him above Lanny McDonald, Pat LaFontaine and Joe Mullen on an adjusted points scale.

I don't recall ever saying this in response to one of these threads asking if a player will/may be inducted into the HHOF, but in this case, Perry is going to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame whether people like the idea or not.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Especially with how he's played the last couple of years, the answer is definitely no.

As recently as 2014, he finished fifth in the entire NHL in points.

In 2015, he scored 33 goals in only 67 games (a 40 goal pace per 82 games) and finished tenth in the Rocket Richard race.

He had 62 points in '16, including 34 goals. He finished ninth in the League in goals that season.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
And people are doubtful with regards to Zetterberg? Perry would be a weak inductee.

That's because a lot of people think being a HHOF member means being Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin or scoring like career 1500 points and don't consider era. Zetterberg will get in. Perry will as well. Perry won't even be a weak inductee with a decent finish to his career. Do you really think any of LaFontaine, Mullen, McDonald, Gillies or Neely will have had better careers than Perry if Perry hits 900 career points?

He peaked higher than guys like Dave Andreychuk, Mike Gartner, Dino Ciccarelli.

Was Joe Nieuwendyk really better than Perry? Was Glen Anderson? Bernie Federko?

He'd be a fairly standard inductee.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I find it strange with how amazing that 'O3 draft was,
Except check this out...

Top five points finishes:

Corey Perry: 2

Joe Mullen: 0

Pat LaFontaine: 1

Lanny McDonald: 0

Cam Neely: 0

Top ten goals finishes:

Corey Perry: 5

Joe Mullen: 3

Pat LaFontaine: 2

Lanny McDonald: 4

Cam Neely: 4

Career points:

Joe Mullen: 1063

Pat LaFontaine: 1013

Lanny McDonald: 1006

Corey Perry: 721

Gillies: 697

Neely: 694

Era-adjusted point totals:

Joe Mullen: 918

Pat LaFontaine: 902

Lanny McDonald: 836

Corey Perry: 804 (prior to this season)

Cam Neely: 629

Clark Gillies: 575

Perry's won his Cup and has won his awards. He has plenty of finishes in the top ten for goals and more finishes in the top five for points than some Hall of Fame members. He merely needs to pad his stats and he'll be indicted into the HHOF. He has already surpassed the careers of Cam Neely and Clark Gillies (mind you, Gillies is an absolutely atrocious inductee).

If Perry averages merely 45 points during the remainder of this season and then for the next three seasons, he'll hit 900 career points, which would put him above Lanny McDonald, Pat LaFontaine and Joe Mullen on an adjusted points scale.

I don't recall ever saying this in response to one of these threads asking if a player will/may be inducted into the HHOF, but in this case, Perry is going to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame whether people like the idea or not.

Nicely put together. To go along with winning two major awards - He's also won the Memorial, World Juniors, World Championship, Stanley Cup, Olympic Golds, WCOH Gold (World Cup?)
How many players with two major awards aren't in the Hall? (Thomas has three - but was a short career)

I find it interesting that despite the '03 draft being amazing (although it let up in a hurry) - there's only a few HOF candidates.
Bergeron will get in. Next is probably Perry. Then Getzlaf and Weber - E. Staal? If J. Carter and Fleury can keep compiling.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

Nicely put together. To go along with winning two major awards - He's also won the Memorial, World Juniors, World Championship, Stanley Cup, Olympic Golds, WCOH Gold (World Cup?)
How many players with two major awards aren't in the Hall? (Thomas has three - but was a short career)

I find it interesting that despite the '03 draft being amazing (although it let up in a hurry) - there's only a few HOF candidates.
Bergeron will get in. Next is probably Perry. Then Getzlaf and Weber - E. Staal? If J. Carter and Fleury can keep compiling.

The facts won't sway people's warped notions of what constitutes a HHOF'er, though. Just look at the voting results for the poll. Brutal.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'll miss a few players for sure but look at his contemporaries - drafted from '99 - '06 - whom he will be up against. 7 years of inductions.
Keith, Bergeron, Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Toews, Are probably the only 6 locks at the moment.

then you're looking at Heatley, J. Williams, Spezza, R. Nash, Getzlaf, Weber, E. Staal, J. Carter, Fleury, Parise, Kopitar, Backstrom, Kessel - there's definitely a few more in this tier.
(not sure what they'll do with Kovalchuk?)

I would argue Weber is a lock at this point.

Fleury has 0 chance of getting in, unless Osgood gets in.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i was just having a discussion about this with my brother yesterday. imo he isn't a hall of famer

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He'll make it.
Living in a market like Ottawa I can tell you how this goes:
"So, Player X Hall of Fame? Has Y points and a Hart."
"STANLEY CUP! TWO OLYMPICS! Z GOALS SCORED IN A SEASON!"
"Yeah, I think he's a lock for sure. Donuts?"

Remember that media is very reactionary, very emotion-driven and has a huge recency bias.
Perry will get it in, the standard isn't high enough for this Hall and he's a good Canadian guy on top of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad