Value of: Corey Perry at $5 Million

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Perry has had several knee injuries the past couple years that def doesn’t help his speed and no one is mentioning that fact

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
His production has dropped since he turned 30. These past 3 years his prorated points over a full season are around 56. That is under 7 points per million dollars against the cap. He needs a change but I agree with others in that I doubt he would ever waive.

He just doesn’t come off as a guy who would take one for the team ala MAF. Girardi forced a buyout and is earning $2.67 million more than what he would have gotten. Perry would get $18 million of his $24 mill owed and likely still get a new sea at around $3 mill per season for those 3 years. So he’s come out a couple million ahead.

For what it's worth, the only full time reporter that follows the Ducks around said the Ducks will not buyout Perry.

Perry can acknowledge that he needs a change of scenery and it will be better for him and the Ducks. Or he can accept a reduced role (3rd-4th line, some healthy scratches) and collect his huge paycheck for the next three years.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Me being Perry, I look at how Marleau is doing with the Leafs and I think about it. JVR is most likely leaving and Perry would fit right in.

That is, if he still wants to win a cup. I believe the Leafs are closer to a cup than the Ducks. I trully am happy for the Leafs.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Me being Perry, I look at how Marleau is doing with the Leafs and I think about it. JVR is most likely leaving and Perry would fit right in.

That is, if he still wants to win a cup. I believe the Leafs are closer to a cup than the Ducks. I trully am happy for the Leafs.

True, and Perry is from Ontario.

Reactions: Stripper

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Depends on the team I suppose. For a team with an emphasis on speed, his game is a little lackluster. For a team thats a bit slower, he absolutely still has value.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I definitely don't see ownership agreeing to pay well over $10M to have Perry play elsewhere for the next three seasons.

Better than buying him out, but I agree it's not a standard Samueli move. It would really take Samueli waking up and understanding that his team needs a cultural change.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
If his contract now was $5M Ducks wouldn't even think of trading him. He's just not worth over $8M anymore hence Ducks retaining on a trade.
It'd be interesting if you could offer a team assets to retain salary on one of your players.

ex. Ducks offer canucks say a 2nd and b prospect to use one of their retention spots and take on 3mil of Perry's contract. Ducks get to keep perry at 5mil and canucks gain assets by weaponizing their cap space

The Brassard trade is the most recent (and only) example of this being done legally

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good lord why would they do that?

Since total buyout dollars is 19.7M over 6 years, I don't see them paying 14.5M over 3 while sitting on someone else's roster.
Your numbers are a bit off. Buyout dollars just under $18 mill.

Rentention amount isn’t right either. If he is owed $24 million cash still, ducks can’t retain more than half that.

As for why buyout vs retention. Retention hits th cap for 3 years. Buyout for 6 years.

The dead cap hit for those years goes up and down.
4.2, 2.7, 6.1, then 3 years at 2.05. Retention allows that hit to b consistent each season. Easy to manage the roster.

As well, Perry based on recent production is overpaid by $2-$3 million. Depending on your view point. So, the owner for sure isn’t getting bang for his buck. So, does paying out a bit more to change the look of the team to give yourself a better chance to win make sense? Maybe it does.

Last edited:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Your numbers are a bit off. Buyout dollars just under $18 mill.

Rentention amount isn’t right either. If he is owed $24 million cash still, ducks can’t retain more than half that.

As for why buyout vs retention. Retention hits th cap for 3 years. Buyout for 6 years.

The dead cap hit for those years goes up and down.
4.2, 2.7, 6.1, then 3 years at 2.05. Retention allows that hit to b consistent each season. Easy to manage the roster.

As well, Perry based on recent production is overpaid by $2-$3 million. Depending on your view point. So, the owner for sure isn’t getting bang for his buck. So, does paying out a bit more to change the look of the team to give yourself a better chance to win make sense? Maybe it does.

You're right about the retention $ but I did have the retention cap hit right lol. CapFriendly shows that third year at 6.68 not 6.1 tho

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Could be a JVR replacement if the price isn't too high. 3 years term is better for the Leafs than the 6 years JVR will get.

Unless I am way off Perry is a RW, we already have Nylander, Marner, Brown and Kapanen on the right side. We need a quality LW

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Unless I am way off Perry is a RW, we already have Nylander, Marner, Brown and Kapanen on the right side. We need a quality LW
Unless the Leafs sign a center, Nylander will be sliding to the middle. Kapanen has spent some time at LW. Handedness is great, but I'd rather have a better player playing his offside than have a worse player who is playing on his proper side.

As an example Hyman should be on RW, but he's played on the left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->