Value of: Corey Perry at $5 Million

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'd take him in as a JVR replacement at 5 mil.

Is his speed shot for good or is it a Selanne situation? Does he have upcoming surgeries or anything to fix it?

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
The comments in this thread have been largely too harsh. Perry would still have value at 5 million. He's a consistent 50-60 point player, that's an above-average second liner. He also steps it up in the playoffs, as he's put up respectable numbers in every playoff series outside of this year.

I'd say he's worth at least a late 1st, maybe more.

Seems fair to argue that this is a thing of the past too.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I still don't think he is that valuable even retained.

Lucic for Perry straight up.
Or maybe like Perry @ 5 to the flames might make some sense. Not sure what he is worth though

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I'd take him in as a JVR replacement at 5 mil.

Is his speed shot for good or is it a Selanne situation? Does he have upcoming surgeries or anything to fix it?

I thought about that but we have Marner Kapanen Brown all playing RW even if they move Nylander to center. Brown can play LW but with Hyman Marleau and Johnsson where do you put him?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I thought about that but we have Marner Kapanen Brown all playing RW even if they move Nylander to center. Brown can play LW but with Hyman Marleau and Johnsson where do you put him?
No offense to Brown, but he got 28 points this year and outside of having good work ethic and being a good defensive player he really wasn't that good. I have no problem with him starting on the 4th line. If Perry is a little slow, so is JVR. Put him on a sheltered line and make him the net front presence on PP#1.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
No offense to Brown, but he got 28 points this year and outside of having good work ethic and being a good defensive player he really wasn't that good. I have no problem with him starting on the 4th line. If Perry is a little slow, so is JVR. Put him on a sheltered line and make him the net front presence on PP#1.

14 goals in that 28 points playing 3rd and 4th line minutes. He's got more offensive skill than Hyman does. It's not just is Perry better but is it worth it to spend 5 million the next 3 years to add him.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Or maybe like Perry @ 5 to the flames might make some sense. Not sure what he is worth though
Rather have Perry for 3 more years than Lucic for 5. Not to mention Perry has been outscoring Lucic for years.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Rather have Perry for 3 more years than Lucic for 5. Not to mention Perry has been outscoring Lucic for years.
Yeah but Lucic is over 2.5 cheaper, younger, and is a prime candidate to bounce back next year.

Not saying his contract is great, but Perry's is pretty damn bad too.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Yeah but Lucic is over 2.5 cheaper, younger, and is a prime candidate to bounce back next year.

Not saying his contract is great, but Perry's is pretty damn bad too.
For us, having to carry that contract for an extra 2 years where Lucic will be declining just like Perry is worse than having to deal with Perry's contract for just 3 more years. We'll need to dump money from those bad contracts as soon as possible. With that said, I don't see why the Oilers would do that deal either.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

?? Not sure how we afford him asset and cap wise.

Ignoring those facets... it would be a thing of beauty to see Perry and Tkachuk drive opposing teams bonkers together.

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
Bobby Ryan for Corey Perry straight up?

Ducks save 1.375 million in cap space, get a guy who is two years younger with possibly a little more left in the legs/tank, but take on an extra year. Maybe Ryan is reinvigorated playing with Getzlaf. He's always seemed like a better fit in the Western Conference.

Unlikely, as the Ducks probably just want cap relief from Perry's deal. Just throwing it out there.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I can imagine perry will make it very tough to move him, even if he wants it. He has all the leverage and may be prefer a buyout and new contract vs waiving his nmc.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Perry is exactly the player as AVS need. Dirty, good front of the net.
Andrighetto+ second round nashville 2018-
Perry

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada

I'd rather keep Perry. Would never go near Lucic let alone his contract.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Bobby Ryan for Corey Perry straight up?

Ducks save 1.375 million in cap space, get a guy who is two years younger with possibly a little more left in the legs/tank, but take on an extra year. Maybe Ryan is reinvigorated playing with Getzlaf. He's always seemed like a better fit in the Western Conference.

Unlikely, as the Ducks probably just want cap relief from Perry's deal. Just throwing it out there.

I'd b curious to see a line of Rakell-Getz-Ryan but I doubt management brings back Ryan.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No, I believe he is healthy. His skating has always been an issue, it's just getting worse as he heads into his mid 30s and the NHL change in style magnifies it.
His production has dropped since he turned 30. These past 3 years his prorated points over a full season are around 56. That is under 7 points per million dollars against the cap. He needs a change but I agree with others in that I doubt he would ever waive.

He just doesn’t come off as a guy who would take one for the team ala MAF. Girardi forced a buyout and is earning $2.67 million more than what he would have gotten. Perry would get $18 million of his $24 mill owed and likely still get a new sea at around $3 mill per season for those 3 years. So he’s come out a couple million ahead.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
No, I believe he is healthy. His skating has always been an issue, it's just getting worse as he heads into his mid 30s and the NHL change in style magnifies it.
Sounds about right.

Perry used to be just fast enough to slip by defenders on the boards - that's how he got that Gumby nickname for a while. Now he's too slow, so he can't avoid being pressed off the puck by big defenders and will try to stickhandle away, which doesn't fly these days.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He wasn't the best skater even in his prime and now he's lost a step and might lose another going forward, I don't think he's worth the risk even at a lower cap hit.

Reactions: go4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->