Cord cutting/Hurricanes watching

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So, what's the best (cheapest) way to do this? I'm un-assing ATT Uverse. I have Roku already, so am going to just roll with Sling TV if I can. I usually use Fox Sports Go on the Roku but that is tied to the Uverse account. I notice they have FS1 on SlingTV, but in the past I've seen that they randomly have Predators and Panthers games on there and not always Canes.

Any reasonable way I can watch every single Canes game from inside the viewing area without cable?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Sling Blue is a good option...just $25 per month. They've had pretty much every Canes game on this season.

You'll get the games on Fox Sports regional, not FS1/FS2...although you get these as well with Blue and are good if you like UFC or Bundesliga.

You can add cloud DVR for $5 per month too which is a nice option.

Also...during WJC time, you can add sports extra for $10 and get NHL network...really easy to toggle on and off.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I use sling and live in chapel hill. The canes will be on "fs-alt" or something similar that is different from regular fs1. There are slots for several "fs-alt"s and sometimes you'll see the preds or something in one of those other slots, but if you click it it will tell you that game is blacked out. I've never had an issue with watching the canes, except if the game is on "fs-southeast"- SOL in that case. If you have a fox sports go login you can use that should work. Only an issue a few games/year.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Sling Blue is where I'm headed once this billing cycle is up with Hulu. Honestly, I probably would have been with them all along if they had always been on board with Fox Sports Go. But now that it's an option, I see no reason not to save some money.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hows the quality for sling TV? Also it says DVR for select programs, is FS Carolinas included?
Depends on your connection more then anything. There were some really shoddy connections in the past that I've had with Sling (and that was the single biggest complaint people had about it for a while) but that seems to have been resolved for the most part on their end. I can stream with really good quality from my Roku to my 4K tv.

Johniac

Jul 18, 2011
North Carolina
Good info here. I am on DirecTV and to get Fox Sports South you have to buy a fairly high tier, which comes with 4,793 channels I never watch. I am too far away to really go to the games, so I justify the satellite cost with not spending on tickets.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Awesome. I already have Sling Blue. Just the last couple of times I tried to use it there were just the Nashville games. Will cut everything else and just roll with that. Thanks.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
At first I hated the sling interface. But then I fell in love with it. It's very easy to use and it offers great channels. TNT, TBS, History, Vice, Fox, AMC, HBO id only 15 bucks. It's really great guys and the interface is outstanding. Oh yeah, and you can view almost anything the channel has with its in demand equivalent. Beat setup: get sling blue, get an apple tv or roku, then get your parents or friends TWC/spectrum/ direct tv credentials so you have the best of all worlds.

Last edited:
Reactions: CandyCanes

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I've tried pretty much all the options. Always end up going back to cable.

Even with legit streams I find the quality sub-par. Frame rate issues, low bit rate, etc, and I use a decent spec'd Surface Pro 4 and have the fastest internet tier. I begrudgingly still use NHL.tv for other teams though. I can't wait until streaming picture quality catches up with cable TV quality, but I doubt that will be possible anytime soon with the state of the US internet infrastructure.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I’ve always wondered about the interchangeability of all of these internet TV thingees. Is there a single remote that you can use? How many steps are involved in changing from one thing to the other?

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I’ve always wondered about the interchangeability of all of these internet TV thingees. Is there a single remote that you can use? How many steps are involved in changing from one thing to the other?

I use my apple tv remote for everything. Turn on tv, gonto apple tv, pick sling tv, pick channel and show. Done. I grew tired of switching cable providers every year once my sweet deal expired. This is better.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Depends on the one you use. The main Roku I use controls both the TV and the streaming device, not all of the models do though. Takes some digging to figure out all the functionality of it all.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
you can also control almost all of them from your phone if you have one of the roku/firetv/chromecast models that support casting. it just adds a little button in the corner of my video streaming apps that will send it to your tv. if you have multiple devices you can cast to, it will give you a list to select.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->