Confirmed with Link: Cooper Marody Acquired from Flyers for 3rd Round Pick (NJ) [UPD: Signed to 3-year ELC]

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
trading a 3rd for a guy who could be ready in 2 years is something I have no problem with. The player we take in this draft would by like Juhair K and not ready till 2021 or 2022
Makes perfect sense, with the need the team has for "pro-ready" prospects. He can take a spot occupied Chrisoffer or Laleggia

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As expected, the talk of him wanting to go the full 4 years before signing was just rhetoric.

Most of the comments I saw came from flyers fans and discussion that took place before the trade. So we can not be sure how much the trade factored into his decision. We do know the Flyers fans were saying he was looking at their depth and did not like being that far down the list

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Great news.

Might actually have some talent in Bako next season.
Talent in Bakersfield? You mean our next set of NHL wingers next year :P

Benson - Currie - Yamamoto
Marody - Platzer - Vesel
Gambardella - Hebig - Russell

Could be a pretty damn decent top 9 next year.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Most of the comments I saw came from flyers fans and discussion that took place before the trade. So we can not be sure how much the trade factored into his decision. We do know the Flyers fans were saying he was looking at their depth and did not like being that far down the list

Weird how they have personal access to him and his thoughts on potentially signing.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Talent in Bakersfield? You mean our next set of NHL wingers next year :P

Benson - Currie - Yamamoto
Marody - Platzer - Vesel
Gambardella - Hebig - Russell

Could be a pretty damn decent top 9 next year.

That would be an Awful top 9 in Bako. Zero experience there almost, need to sorround those young guys coming in there with experienced AHL depth. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if more then 2-3 of the new guys you listed start in the ECHL, junior scoring doesn’t always translate to pro right away...

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
That would be an Awful top 9 in Bako. Zero experience there almost, need to sorround those young guys coming in there with experienced AHL depth. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if more then 2-3 of the new guys you listed start in the ECHL, junior scoring doesn’t always translate to pro right away...
I'd be shocked if any of Benson, Yamamoto, Hebig or Marody spend any time in the ECHL. They're all decent to high end prospects. I do agree that the way the OP has the lines setup is a recipe for disaster though, gotta have more vets mixed in. Brad Malone is still signed next year and likely slots into the top 6 somewhere, and it wouldn't surprise me if they keep Laleggia around for another year. I feel like Platzer might be done though.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta

u do know that the AHL isn't a league where we should care about wins right ?

Let the rookies play down there, we need anymore Ahl vets taking top 6 spots

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Being competitive is important for development.
so stay the course and play Ahl vets ???
can you name one player that has looked good on our Ahl team ??
Everyone looks better in the NHL over the Ahl, Drai is a big example. Sorry this Ahl vet bullshit is just dumb to me

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
u do know that the AHL isn't a league where we should care about wins right ?

Let the rookies play down there, we need anymore Ahl vets taking top 6 spots
There’s a balance between winning and developing, being in a winning environment is good for development

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nice. Bako could actually be a fairly exciting team to watch next year.

Definitely not all the guys in the mix down there but there’s plenty of help coming.

Benson-Hebig-Yamamoto
LaLeggia-Marody-Currie
Gambardella-Malone-Russell
Polei-Larkin-Gust

Few vets like Callahan still in the mix but a lot of the fat will get trimmed in the offseason.

Jones-Bear
Lagesson-Mantha
Lowe-Gryba

some combination of Brossoit/Ellis/Wells/Starret

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nice. Bako could actually be a fairly exciting team to watch next year.

Definitely not all the guys in the mix down there but there’s plenty of help coming.

Benson-Hebig-Yamamoto
LaLeggia-Marody-Currie
Gambardella-Malone-Russell
Polei-Larkin-Gust

Few vets like Callahan still in the mix but a lot of the fat will get trimmed in the offseason.

Jones-Bear
Lagesson-Mantha
Lowe-Gryba

some combination of Brossoit/Ellis/Wells/Starret

Eh...

I bet the AHL team next year struggles to score as much as the team did this year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
But 3/4ths of the team won’t be washed up vets. Baby steps.
Washed up vet vs mediocre prospects. There isn't much of a difference there.

Yamamoto and Benson are the only guys with legitimate NHL upside. Even Benson is questionable. Of course someone might surprise, but outside of the two I mentioned none of the other guys are guys who safe bets.

Of course it's entirely possible I don't know anything. But there was a lot of hype for a guy like Gambardella coming out of college last year and he had nearly identical numbers as Marody this year. Yet once he got here he was just another in a long list of AHL scrubs.

I've said this before, and maybe it isn't fair to the latest crop of prospects we have, but I've seen enough "promising" prospects who turn pro and just completely fizzle out in the AHL for me to ever not doubt anyone but the most blue chip of prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->