Controversy in Kamloops?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Quick Google seach came up with a goal being disallowed: http://cfjctoday.com/article/566178/blazers-communication-whl-about-no-goal-call-game-6

Two days after being knocked out in Game 6 against Kelowna, the Blazers are still feeling a bit sour about the waved-off goal, called back on a high-stick in third period with Kamloops down 2-0.

Connor Ingram said after the game he wasn't surprised by the call, believing the Rockets always gets the benefit of the doubt.

Now Blazers GM Stu MacGregor is in the process of sending a package off to the Western Hockey League to get clarification on the no-goal the team feels should've counted.

"I'm working on that at the moment," said MacGregor. "It's not going to change the result, but I'm in communication with the league to further gain information with that situation."

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I did a bit of research and I think it's referring to this:

Kamloops netminder Connor Ingram did not mince words with his opinion on the decision.

“When it’s a goal on the ice, you usually have to have pretty conclusive evidence to turn it over,†said Ingram, who stopped 31 shots in a losing effort. “When you play Kelowna, you’re not going to get that call. The commissioner is in the building. He’s up in that room. You know as soon as he goes up there, you’re not going to get it. It’s disappointing, but that’s what happens when you play those guys and, with who runs their team, they’re going to get those calls. That’s just the way it is.â€

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/bl...s-short-season-ending-loss-rockets-slideshow/

It's in reference to a disallowed goal from the Blazers. The puck was deflected in out of the air, called a goal on the ice, and then went to video review to check for a high stick. Now presuming that the replay officials have the same camera angles as what the TV broadcast showed, the puck was probably (ok, most likely) batted down with a stick above the crossbar. But there was no camera angle that showed the front of Devon Sideroff where you could clearly see that he touched it with a high stick. And it's my understanding that like the NHL rule, the WHL's replay requirements are that the call on the ice can only be overturned if there is absolute, incontrovertible proof in the replay that the call was wrong. In other words, "yeah, that's probably a high stick even though we can't see for sure." isn't good enough.

And yet the call was overturned and the goal disallowed. The Blazers would go on to tie the game up later in teh 3rd, but that lead lasted just 30 seconds or so before Kelowna scored again. So who knows how the complexion of things would've changed if it was a tighter game thanks to Sideroff's no-goal.

Now what I didn't know until reading the article quoted above is that Ron Robison was in the building for that game and because the review was taking so long, he eventually went up to the replay booth and talked with the off-ice officials.

Now, not being super up on the history of the Rockets, I don't know what relationship Robison and the Rockets might have that would lead to accusations of bias or meddling in favor of by the commissioner. But I guess there's something there?

I should also note that in spite of my avatar, I'm not a Blazers fan. I was watching the series because my team (the Giants) aren't in the playoffs and as a Sharks fan at the NHL level, it was an opportunity to watch SJ prospect Rudolfs Balcers. So I was cheering for Kamloops in that regard, but I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Blazers supporter. So everything I wrote above isn't intended to be taken with the usual precaution against poster fandom bias or the like.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
this is very well known.... Im happy a player finally said this

Ingram is gone from the league now so he had nothing to lose saying this.

Hordichuk_24

Now, not being super up on the history of the Rockets, I don't know what relationship Robison and the Rockets might have that would lead to accusations of bias or meddling in favor of by the commissioner. But I guess there's something there?

Bruce Hamilton.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make up conspiracies or excuses for the Rockets success. There are a lot of factors at play many of which have nothing to do with the league or their connections. That said there are many examples of the Rockets getting away with things many other teams wouldn't. The Rockets are a great organization with a great staff and foundation. So it's no surprise they seem to always have success. But given their owner and certain relationships it certainly can't hurt your odds of being on the right side of calls (or non calls). That sentiment shared by Ingram is shared by many former players I know.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
It was always easy to hate the Rockets and now there is yet another reason. I hope Portland beats them.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
I'll chime in as a Rockets fan here.

First off, I was in the building and could not tell whether Sideroff's stick was over the bar or not. It was one of those calls where I kinda said its not gonna be surprising if this goes either way. I'm not sure I buy that the Rockets get calls like this all the time. I remember last season against Victoria (can't remember what game, I thought maybe game 6 but the highlight pack doesn't have it) and a puck went of Tyson Baillie's skate and in in the 3rd period. It was a pretty similar scenario where the call could have gone either way. In the end, it was no goal. Also I'll just point out that the Rockets lead the league in PIMs this season and were among league leaders last season. It's quite a shame that it was such a close call in an important game either way.

:dunno: just my 2c.

RonTugnutt

Kesler is washed up
Sep 5, 2011
Bruce Hamilton.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make up conspiracies or excuses for the Rockets success. There are a lot of factors at play many of which have nothing to do with the league or their connections. That said there are many examples of the Rockets getting away with things many other teams wouldn't. The Rockets are a great organization with a great staff and foundation. So it's no surprise they seem to always have success. But given their owner and certain relationships it certainly can't hurt your odds of being on the right side of calls (or non calls). That sentiment shared by Ingram is shared by many former players I know.

Besides the whole Draisaitl thing I'm curious about the "many examples of Rockets getting away with things many other teams wouldn't".

Seems like Hamilton is getting flak for being involved in Hockey Canada & WHL Board of Governors. That's the price of success I guess.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Wow there's a London Knights of the WHL....

For similar views on one of the league's golden boys, please refer to the Windsor Spitfires thread. A Knights' no go call overturned with no "incontrovertible" evidence and the league having to say that a mistake was made.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I'll chime in as a Rockets fan here.

First off, I was in the building and could not tell whether Sideroff's stick was over the bar or not. It was one of those calls where I kinda said its not gonna be surprising if this goes either way. I'm not sure I buy that the Rockets get calls like this all the time. I remember last season against Victoria (can't remember what game, I thought maybe game 6 but the highlight pack doesn't have it) and a puck went of Tyson Baillie's skate and in in the 3rd period. It was a pretty similar scenario where the call could have gone either way. In the end, it was no goal. Also I'll just point out that the Rockets lead the league in PIMs this season and were among league leaders last season. It's quite a shame that it was such a close call in an important game either way.

:dunno: just my 2c.
I remember that and it was very obvious on the TV replays that he kicked it in. I don't remember what game it was.

I didn't think there were any fishy calls/non-calls in that series (Royals-Rockets). Just a good hard-fought series that we, unfortunately (for us), came out on the wrong end of.

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
I remember that and it was very obvious on the TV replays that he kicked it in. I don't remember what game it was.

I didn't think there were any fishy calls/non-calls in that series (Royals-Rockets). Just a good hard-fought series that we, unfortunately (for us), came out on the wrong end of.

I did some digging and that play was in game 2 of the series. It was more intentional than I remembered, but looked more like a direction than a distinct kick, but I digress. The point is that the claims being made seem to be unsubstantiated.

Hordichuk_24

Besides the whole Draisaitl thing I'm curious about the "many examples of Rockets getting away with things many other teams wouldn't".

I can recall a Tyler Myers hit several years back in a playoff game on Craig Schira for which there were no suspension. Any other team (or the situation reversed) and I'm certain there would've been one. I don't watch a lot of hockey anymore for many reasons. But I have watched enough of the Rockets over the past decade to know Bruce Hamilton has a lot of power. Probably more than he should. I've heard stories and I am confident there is enough reason to believe there is something there. I am not claiming that is why the Rockets have had a successful organization or anything like that. There are no excuses being made from my standpoint. But in life and sport not all things are equal. And I do believe there is something to the belief that the Rockets at least appear to get more breaks than most. Don't underestimate the amount of power certain people hold. Hamilton has a lot of connections all over. And the league is well aware of that. I'm sure they try to keep it separate but it doesn't always work that way. The fact he is the chairman of the board of governors certainly doesn't help. Likely fuels that whole perception.

RonTugnutt

Kesler is washed up
Sep 5, 2011
Most penalized team in the league.... Bruce needs to work on getting the refs on board for his powerful agenda.

Hordichuk_24

Most penalized team in the league.... Bruce needs to work on getting the refs on board for his powerful agenda.

If your point is that must be evidence the Rockets don't get preferential treatment that is argument is seriously flawed. They are a physical team and were one of the top teams in fighting majors. That alone is going to make your total PIMs near the top of the league. That doesn't necessarily translate into being constantly shorthanded or targeted by the officials.

The bigger issue runs much deeper than statistics. It isn't something tangible you can identity. Many will argue there is nothing there. And that is fine. It's impossible to prove anything. But it isn't hard to understand why many have this opinion of the Rockets. Their owner has a lot of power and influence and a lot of things go their way. More often than not. And often where there's smoke there's fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad