Status
Not open for further replies.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
First Scenario :

Let say a player signs a 2 year contract

1st year he is making $ 5M
2nd year he is making $ 1M

According to the new CBA, it would mean $ 3M/year on the salary cap.

If the team decides to trade the player after one year, does the other team has to allocate $3M for the salary cap or is it just $ 1M ?

Second Scenario :

Same type of contract

But this time after one year the team "feels generous" and decides to renegotiate the remaining year. Let say instead of paying $ 1M, they want to pay him $ 6M.

Do they have to allocate $ 6M for the salary cap or is it $ 5M (difference between the old and new new) + $ 3M (from the old contract) = $ 8M ?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
ark1 said:
First Scenario :

Let say a player signs a 2 year contract

1st year he is making $ 5M
2nd year he is making $ 1M

According to the new CBA, it would mean $ 3M/year on the salary cap.

If the team decides to trade the player after one year, does the other team has to allocate $3M for the salary cap or is it just $ 1M ?
The player's new team only has to pay him $1M, but will still have a cap hit of $3M.
Second Scenario :

Same type of contract

But this time after one year the team "feels generous" and decides to renegotiate the remaining year. Let say instead of paying $ 1M, they want to pay him $ 6M.

Do they have to allocate $ 6M for the salary cap or is it $ 5M (difference between the old and new new) + $ 3M (from the old contract) = $ 8M ?

Contracts cannot be renegotiated under the new CBA.

From the NHL New CBA FAQ:

RENEGOTIATION OF CONTRACTS

Will Clubs be able to renegotiate contracts with players?

No. Player contracts will not be renegotiated (upward or downward) during their term. Extensions may be negotiated but only in the final year of the contract and only if such extension is for an amount that can be accommodated in a Club's upper limit for the current year or as computed for future years.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
kdb209 said:
Contracts cannot be renegotiated under the new CBA.

In that case I'm assuming it is impossible to buy out a contract anymore ?

thanks for the info

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Contracts can still be bought out. It is a protective issue for in case a team really is over the cap and has no option but to buy-out players.

I believe that a player can be bought out at 2/3 his contract, but this still counts against the team's cap count. However I think it is done in a different way than just straight up counting against it. I think it was something like over 3 years? Someone else will have to clarify that.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Flukeshot said:
Contracts can still be bought out. It is a protective issue for in case a team really is over the cap and has no option but to buy-out players.

I believe that a player can be bought out at 2/3 his contract, but this still counts against the team's cap count. However I think it is done in a different way than just straight up counting against it. I think it was something like over 3 years? Someone else will have to clarify that.

The buyout terms under the new CBA are the same as those under the old one.

A player under 26 yo gets 1/3 of the total dollars reamining on the contract.
A player 26 yo or older gets 2/3 of the total dollars remaining.
The money is paid out over 2x the term remaining on the contract.
The player must clear waivers before the Buy Out can be offered.
Buyouts can only occur during the offseason (normally a July 1 deadline).

This year was a special case - there was a week long buyout window in July - and any buyouts did not count against the cap. Any future buyouts will count against the cap, although with a lower annual cap hit - 2/3's the salry paid out over 2x the years.

A contract buout is not any form of contract renegotiation. All of the buyout terms are included as part of the Standard Players Contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->