Continental Airlines looking to cut wages by 500 million to survive - sound familiar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
When industries are in trouble employees need to be reorganized or downsized if they hope to stay employed. The NHL being a gate driven league operating at the pinnacle of acceptable ticket pricing with no major TV deal or expansion money coming in or any new building to generate extra revenue is in trouble. The league needs fixing, the owners have provided the only framework they are willing to negotiate within so the ball is totally in the players court if they hope to continue working in this league or have any concern at all about the future of the game and it's fans.

http://www.ktvu.com/travelgetaways/4062401/detail.html

CoolburnIsGone

I don't think you want to use the airline business to make your case. The employees in that industry often offer salary rollbacks to their employers to make it work. Hmm, sounds like the players framework is the same as the airline industry...are you sure you're supporting the right side in this dispute?? :lol:

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Coolburn said:
I don't think you want to use the airline business to make your case. The employees in that industry often offer salary rollbacks to their employers to make it work. Hmm, sounds like the players framework is the same as the airline industry...are you sure you're supporting the right side in this dispute?? :lol:

So what your saying salary rollbacks are fine in other industries but not in hockey. You see, I don't really have a side. I want what's best for hockey and the NHL. NHL ticket prices are already too high when compared to other hockey leagues and when you add the fact they don't get much if any TV revenue it only makes sense that they get their financial house in order.

I don't need the Leavitt or Forbes reports to figure out that hockey is in trouble. I've been saying it for years now that the league is broken and in need of major repair both on and off the ice. Not the 24% bandaid solution that Goodewow knew would be rejected but a meaningful longterm plan that will be win win for everyone including the fans on a moving forward basis.

To figure out if the 30 teams have a level playing field or at least a reasonable starting point you only need to look at the ticket prices that each team charges. Calculate ticket sales in each team's market which isn't that hard to do and you pretty much have the lions share of each teams revenue. It wouldn't be hard to come up with an agreeable formula to determine gross revenue but it takes 2 willing partners.

I want an NHL where scouting, development and coaching are the main determining factors for the success or lack there of for any franchise. Free Agency might have been good for the players, agents, lawyers and accountants but it has been bad for sports and it's fans. Buying a championship like the Yankees or Red Sox have done means very little to me. It's like the big bully on the street having his way.

Lanny MacDonald*

Coolburn said:

And in most cases the employess become partners in the airlines and have salary controls built into the agreements. You are about to see another mid market carrier (US Air) disappear because the unions refuse to play ball and are looking out for only their own selfish needs, not the health and prosperity of the comapny and the industry itself. ATA just closed the doors for the same reasons. How many more examples do you need before you wake up and see the harsh reality that is today's economy?

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
eye said:
I want an NHL where scouting, development and coaching are the main determining factors for the success or lack there of for any franchise.
which is exactly what the last CBA was good at.

eye said:
Buying a championship like the Yankees or Red Sox have done means very little to me. It's like the big bully on the street having his way.
and which championship in the NHL was bought ? and i dont hear any of hte owners in MLB complaning about the system.

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
The Iconoclast said:
And in most cases the employess become partners in the airlines and have salary controls built into the agreements. You are about to see another mid market carrier (US Air) disappear because the unions refuse to play ball and are looking out for only their own selfish needs, not the health and prosperity of the comapny and the industry itself. ATA just closed the doors for the same reasons. How many more examples do you need before you wake up and see the harsh reality that is today's economy?
ok, so then lets see the owners shut down their teams. it wont happen.

dr

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
eye said:
When industries are in trouble employees need to be reorganized or downsized if they hope to stay employed. The NHL being a gate driven league operating at the pinnacle of acceptable ticket pricing with no major TV deal or expansion money coming in or any new building to generate extra revenue is in trouble. The league needs fixing, the owners have provided the only framework they are willing to negotiate within so the ball is totally in the players court if they hope to continue working in this league or have any concern at all about the future of the game and it's fans.

http://www.ktvu.com/travelgetaways/4062401/detail.html

:shakehead

I want my 30 seconds back

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
DR said:
which is exactly what the last CBA was good at.

and which championship in the NHL was bought ? and i dont hear any of hte owners in MLB complaning about the system.

dr

Please. The last CBA or CBA's since the inception of Free Agency did little if anything to ensure that scouting, development and coaching would be the determining factors. Just ask Edmonton, Anaheim and other teams that were building good teams in the past few years only to lose key players to free agency. Teams do not have an equal starting point and all you need to do is look at ticket prices and attendence in each market and then look at taxes and the Canadian dollar to see why the Jets, the Nordique and almost the Senators had to move south of the border.

MLB owners and GM's complain all the time about their system. JP Richardi in Toronto (Canada's team) feels like the best his team can do each year is 3rd place under their current system. MLB will get it right next time or at least closer to. The Yankees and the Red Sox and a couple others were spared a long work stoppage because of 911. Make no mistake about it.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
DR said:
ok, so then lets see the owners shut down their teams. it wont happen.

dr

It will happen if the owners don't get a new system within or close to the type of framework they are looking for. That's why they are taking this hard stand in the first place. Do you really think that owners want to gamble the way they are with hockey popularity and fan support if they felt there wasn't a serious need to do it?

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
eye said:
Please. The last CBA or CBA's since the inception of Free Agency did little if anything to ensure that scouting, development and coaching would be the determining factors. Just ask Edmonton, Anaheim and other teams that were building good teams in the past few years only to lose key players to free agency. Teams do not have an equal starting point and all you need to do is look at ticket prices and attendence in each market and then look at taxes and the Canadian dollar to see why the Jets, the Nordique and almost the Senators had to move south of the border.

MLB owners and GM's complain all the time about their system. JP Richardi in Toronto (Canada's team) feels like the best his team can do each year is 3rd place under their current system. MLB will get it right next time or at least closer to. The Yankees and the Red Sox and a couple others were spared a long work stoppage because of 911. Make no mistake about it.
so then change the playoff format for baseball so more teams get in.

and the crap you just spouted about the NHL is just that. it is completly baseless.

dr

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
eye said:

But why should teams have an equal starting point? Life isn't fair. The problem is that hockey is in small Canadian cities that can not support a team. People think that Canada has a right to have 10 teams in a country of 30 mil people. They don't. Montreal/Toronto/Vancouver and one more team should be enough.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
eye said:
It will happen if the owners don't get a new system within or close to the type of framework they are looking for.
explain how they can do this without flushing their 100m investment down the toilet ?

dr

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
DR said:
explain how they can do this without flushing their 100m investment down the toilet ?

dr

How much of their own money do you think that most owners especially the 24 new owners have invested? Most if not all of them likely run their hockey franchises seperate from other business operations so it wouldn't be hard for them to either sell at a reduced price or go bankrupt losing only pennies on the dollar. New owners came into this league with the word of Bettman that some form of cost certainty would be part of their next CBA and when the NHL resumes play they will have it. You will see players and agents starting to put a lot of pressure on Goodenow this coming week. This is the most important week in the history of the NHL. If players don't speak up they stand to lose much of their potential earning power and will have to come back with their tails tucked between their legs which won't be a good thing for all concerned.

Brent Burns Beard