OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) III - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Yeah or is pretty dumb. My friends get angry at me when I saw I am tired of all of the super hero movies.

I really think it's a part of the dumbing-down of America. Pop culture seems to follow life.

I also think it's hysterical that the Oscars and whatever other "rich people praising each other" awards shows keep snubbing them, even though they're the movies making the most money. So at least that's one positive of superhero movies. They're really pizzing off all the "serious actors" and "serious movie" people.

Reactions: Darkauron

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Can we all admit that the superhero movie thing is INSANELY played out?

I just read there's something like almost 20 of them slated for release over the next 3 years.

Simple answer is... nope.

Funny thing is, it’s just getting started as Marvel has reached their phase where they alone will be releasing 3-4 a year rather than 1 a year as it started.

Yeah or is pretty dumb. My friends get angry at me when I saw I am tired of all of the super hero movies. At this rate the only movies ever being made are going to be star wars or a super hero movie. :help:

I don’t know why they get angry at you, everyone has their opinion and some people just aren’t into certain movies as others :cool:

yeah its a bit much.

but we all grew up with these things and our generation is now making movies. the lack of creativity is annoying.

can we really not come up with a new superhero????

Not sure why superhero’s get tabbed with lack of creativity when you basically spoke out of two sides of your mouth on this one. Comics were huge in the late 80s to early 90s, so now those kids are in their 30s with kids of their own. These characters are seeing the big screen for the 1st time ever in many cases and their story is being told and people are eating it up.

I really think it's a part of the dumbing-down of America. Pop culture seems to follow life.

I also think it's hysterical that the Oscars and whatever other "rich people praising each other" awards shows keep snubbing them, even though they're the movies making the most money. So at least that's one positive of superhero movies. They're really pizzing off all the "serious actors" and "serious movie" people.

Couldn’t care less about the Oscars. Typically the movies that I will see on those lists I find that I’ve never heard of the movie or that I’ve only seen or even been interested in 25% of the movies acknowledged.

In conclusion, these movies aren’t going anywhere folks as the newest Avengers is nearing 1.3 Billion in only it’s 3rd weekend. :P

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not sure why superhero’s get tabbed with lack of creativity when you basically spoke out of two sides of your mouth on this one. Comics were huge in the late 80s to early 90s, so now those kids are in their 30s with kids of their own. These characters are seeing the big screen for the 1st time ever in many cases and their story is being told and people are eating it up.

It's also the modern-day graphics and special effects that lead to constant remakes. You wouldn't be able to make Spiderman or Batman type movies in the 1970's with the same ooh and aah factor as you can now.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Do you think these movies are Oscar Worthy?

But there has long been a seperation between the summer blockbusters and the Oscar nominated movies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

But there has long been a seperation between the summer blockbusters and the Oscar nominated movies.

I dont think anyone them are oscar winning movies at all. They are simple movies that don't really do anything too special, besides catering to the fans that they want. Marvel knows and doesnt care about winning the awards...they win all the profits.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
It's funny because all the things that would've gotten me beat up in high school are pop culture phenomenons now. Comic book movies, shows based on nerdy books like Game of Thrones and The Man in the High Castle and The Handmaid's Tale, Pokemon Go is apparently still sorta a thing.

It's vindicating, and I'm glad that society is turning towards embracing nerdiness as acceptable, even if that nerdiness is watered-down or down extremely poorly ("Big Bang Theory", for example).

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's funny because all the things that would've gotten me beat up in high school are pop culture phenomenons now. Comic book movies, shows based on nerdy books like Game of Thrones and The Man in the High Castle and The Handmaid's Tale, Pokemon Go is apparently still sorta a thing.

It's vindicating, and I'm glad that society is turning towards embracing nerdiness as acceptable, even if that nerdiness is watered-down or down extremely poorly ("Big Bang Theory", for example).

There still seems to be a stigma around anime and manga, so I'm not quite vindicated yet.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
There still seems to be a stigma around anime and manga, so I'm not quite vindicated yet.

Yeah same. It is still not as widely accepted and still laughed at even by other comic book and other similar fans at times. There are such amazing anime and manga out there that I think are some of the greatest works of film and entertainment.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I've always thought there were two big hurdles for anime to jump over. The first is that in western culture, animation is considered juvenile, and even when there are animated series or movies intended for adults, it's generally crude comedies. Western culture still doesn't seem ready to take an animated drama seriously.

The second is that it's all lumped together in the minds of those that don't watch it. If they were live action, nobody would ever link an idol anime or a shonen manga with each other or any of the myriad of more subtle anime, but for whatever reason they get slapped wit the anime label.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I've always thought there were two big hurdles for anime to jump over. The first is that in western culture, animation is considered juvenile, and even when there are animated series or movies intended for adults, it's generally crude comedies. Western culture still doesn't seem ready to take an animated drama seriously.

The second is that it's all lumped together in the minds of those that don't watch it. If they were live action, nobody would ever link an idol anime or a shonen manga with each other or any of the myriad of more subtle anime, but for whatever reason they get slapped wit the anime label.

Yeah the animaiton does really push people away for the most part.... and the fact that they think every anime is like Naruto or Dragonball for the most part too. Just like any other media there will always be the trash that floats to the top as the good stuff falls through the cracks. For the longest time I would typically not really mention that I was an anime fan, as It would generally make people shy away.

Now for the most part anime is becoming much more main stream especially with the fact that everyone is loving comic book related media and that high quality anime is being produced and aired on things like netflix.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Whenever I have a conversation with people about anime, that's the first thing I need to communicate. You can't think of anime as a cartoon. You have to think about it as animated TV. Think of everything you could possibly have on TV: Drama, Comedy, Romance, Horror, Gore, etc., and realize that you have all those same genre in anime. You'd never think of TV as a whole as juvenile. It's just as absurd for an anime fan to think of the overarching term "anime" as juvenile. Are there anime series meant for children? Sure. Just like there are TV shows meant for children. Likewise, just as there are TV shows geared towards adults, there are animes geared specifically towards adults. It's a tough concept to get across, but if you can get them to think of the term anime the way they think of the term TV, they start to understand a bit.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

I am admittedly not huge into anime, but there's some shows that I am diehard about (Ghost in the Shell, Attack on Titan, Deathnote, Cowboy Bebop, Neo Yokio if you wanna count that, the original Astro Boy series, Initial D, Shin Chan), and it's like pulling teeth with even my nerdiest of friends trying to get them to watch. GitS, for example, is a show that I think ONLY works as an anime, even though I thought the recent live-action movie was fairly solid.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

LOL. Good point. That said, there are Oscar awards for things other than acting, like best sound effects & best costume design.

I would have thought by now a superhero movie would have won best costume design given there've been 1001 superhero movies and the outfits can be pretty elaborate.

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
I really don’t have a horse in this race but I love the fact that you just enraged die hard fans everywhere. That’s the one thing I will say about Star Wars is that it has the biggest fan base of people who will trash the trailers and how much sacralige it is the recast characters but in the same sentence will tell you that they preordered their imax tickets and will probably see the movie 4-5 times in theaters.

I'm pretty much in that boat. I am a die hard Star Wars fan, grew up watching the originals on repeat and even found some positive things in the prequels and still enjoy watching them (I know I'm in the minority). The new Disney films have been a mixed bag for me, but I know I will still be there opening night for Solo which is coming up, and episode 9 in a couple years.

Star Wars is a franchise that is where it is because of nostalgia, not because it's really a particularly good series. It's over exposed and will be milked for decades because of said nostalgia. It was the "Avatar" of it's time in regards to special effects and also like Avatar, it doesn't change that it's completely overhyped with a very weak story.

Sure people enjoy Star Wars and they have a massive fanbase but so do all of the sci fi franchises, like Doctor Who and Star Trek for instance. Star Wars certainly isn't unique in that sense either.

Nostalgia has gone a long way in keeping Star Wars in the mainstream of culture and entertainment. No denying that. There are legitimately only two great Star Wars films (the original, and The Empire Strikes Back) that have fueled that nostalgia. While I agree that the original Star Wars can somewhat be considered "the Avatar of its time" even saying that would be underestimating the impact which Star Wars had on film and culture. Avatar brought 3D back into the spotlight and some new tools to the visual effects toolbox but that is about it. The film is entirely forgettable and I am not sure how much longer that the 3D format will be relevant. Beyond that it was just a very expensive rendition of Gone with the Wolves and Fern Gully in regards to its story structure, characters, and general plot. Star Wars on the other hand essentially built the toolbox for future filmmakers to use and completely mainlined itself immediately into the zeitgiest. It is not heralded for its wholly original or complex story. It is held in such high regard because of the melding of the multiple influences that inspired Lucas into one cohesive, unique, rockrolling sci-fi fairy tale. Lucas used character and story tropes that have existed since we started telling stories-tropes that are inherently a part of our human experience. Most of the great mythic and grand adventures we know all usually wear these story tropes on their sleeves and use it as a sort of short hand to tell their stories.

And the fanbases of Doctor Who and Star Trek pales in comparison to what is Star Wars fandom precisely because of its universal appeal and easily recognizable mythic story elements.

My biggest thing is I hate watching things twice so while I've seen all the other star wars movies, Harry Potter and lord of the rings I'll never quite understand the fandom when it comes to watching stuff over and over again. I hated the lord of the rings series. I enjoyed the hobbit trilogy more but even that was meh for me. I'm just not into that genre and it's why I haven't bothered watching game of thrones either.

I don't even know where to start with this one. I couldn't imagine seeing a great movie and then going: "Now I never need to see that again." It takes multiple viewings to really "get" a movie and I am not talking about understanding the plot or character motivation. Great movies have so much more to offer than simply the first initial reaction. What are the themes at play? What was the writer saying with that scene? Why did the director choose that shot there? I never noticed the music comes in at that part! I didn't get that that part was foreshadowing that part! And the such. Now I am kinda a movie buff so I do comprehend how movies are just one form of entertainment among many for some to enjoy on a surface level and then never think of again. I am kinda that way with music. I like what I like but don't look into anything more beyond that.

And in no universe is the Hobbit trilogy better than Lord of the Rings.

I quite enjoyed Infinity War. There were a couple little things that kind of annoyed me, but that's pretty much any movie. I still think I'd rank the first Avengers movie slightly higher, but this was way better than Age of Ultron, which was boring as hell for me.

Infinity War was probably my favorite Marvel movie thus far. Just a great ride that finally felt like there was real stakes for our characters. You definitely need to see at least the brunt of the previous films to get the whole impact however. I need to see it again because I went at some unholy hour to originally see it. Just waiting for the wife to see some of the other movies and then we can see it.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
LOTR is the pinnacle of cinematography and adapting literature to film. No one will change my mind on that. Those movies are f***ing masterpieces.

The Star Wars movies as stand alone films are pretty meh, but they gave birth to an entire world of possibilities and imagination for generations. I'd say that's pretty special as well.

There's nothing wrong with not liking something that's popular, I'm honestly bored to tears by most of the Marvel movies outside of Guardians. But there's also nothing wrong with liking popular stuff either.

That said, I finally watched the video for this is america and that was super underwhelming after all the build up.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I haven't watched any new anime in years. If I told you my favorite series of all time were Steins;Gate and Maoyu, what are some shows I should watch from the past few years?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I haven't watched any new anime in years. If I told you my favorite series of all time were Steins;Gate and Maoyu, what are some shows I should watch from the past few years?

Nice! Steins;Gate is my favorite too! The newest Steins;Gate 0 is airing right now too. I also personally recommenced Pyscho pass, ReZero, Death Parade, ERASED , and No game no life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad