OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) III - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Again, I’m not sure what a viewer expects from Avengers Infinity Wars.

If you expected a single movie that promises 20 something main characters from 10 years of films to deliver equal or even enough shared screen time for all then why even go see it. It would be impossible to do and you were basically going into this movie looking for something to complain about.

Reactions: Darkauron

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I've never seen a single Star Wars movie. Ever. I don't even care.
If you are young enough that watching the original movies would just leave you crapping on the special effects then I can see why you may not want to see them.

But for people like myself who are over 40, those early movies were fantastic.

The middle 3 were completely forgettable.

The more recent movies have been good, good, meh, imo. Still very interested to see Solo.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If you are young enough that watching the original movies would just leave you crapping on the special effects then I can see why you may not want to see them.

But for people like myself who are over 40, those early movies were fantastic.

The middle 3 were completely forgettable.

The more recent movies have been good, good, meh, imo. Still very interested to see Solo.

I'll be 33 on Tuesday. Never had any inclination to see them but I have been told that I'm like the minority with regard to these films having never seen them.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'll be 33 on Tuesday. Never had any inclination to see them but I have been told that I'm like the minority with regard to these films having never seen them.

I've seen pieces of a couple of them. Never seen one all the way through.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just off the top of my head, I've never seen an entire Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings or Harry Potter film. I may have seen some of the original run of Star Wars movies when I was a little too young to remember, but I don't think I did.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Yeah.. And a bad take.

Is it really though? Luke Skywalker was a really shitty protagonist. He was very Holden Caulfeld-like in the sense that he was an insufferable, whiner. His father was even more so. Also, the story itself isnt original. Young farm hand taking down an imposing threat with the help of a mentor that he loses and friends he gains is pretty much documented in some way or another from fables across the various centuries. One wouldn't look so far as to Ancient Greece to find fables with that premise.

And look, I can think of several sci fi movies that I would higher on my own favorites list, as well as just say that they are basically objectively better films.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner (original)
Alien (original)
Terminator 1 - 2
The Day the Earth Stood Still (original)

Plus, have you seen New Hope? 30 minutes is basically dedicated to R2D2 and C3PO bullshitting and not making me care any more in the slightest about *our heroes*

With L.O.T.R; that entire first film should of been called "Walking Simulator: The Movie"

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Is it really though? Luke Skywalker was a really ****ty protagonist. He was very Holden Caulfeld-like in the sense that he was an insufferable, whiner. His father was even more so. Also, the story itself isnt original. Young farm hand taking down an imposing threat with the help of a mentor that he loses and friends he gains is pretty much documented in some way or another from fables across the various centuries. One wouldn't look so far as to Ancient Greece to find fables with that premise.

And look, I can think of several sci fi movies that I would higher on my own favorites list, as well as just say that they are basically objectively better films.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner (original)
Alien (original)
Terminator 1 - 2
The Day the Earth Stood Still (original)

Plus, have you seen New Hope? 30 minutes is basically dedicated to R2D2 and C3PO bull****ting and not making me care any more in the slightest about *our heroes*

With L.O.T.R; that entire first film should of been called "Walking Simulator: The Movie"

I really don’t have a horse in this race but I love the fact that you just enraged die hard fans everywhere. That’s the one thing I will say about Star Wars is that it has the biggest fan base of people who will trash the trailers and how much sacralige it is the recast characters but in the same sentence will tell you that they preordered their imax tickets and will probably see the movie 4-5 times in theaters.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I really don’t have a horse in this race but I love the fact that you just enraged die hard fans everywhere. That’s the one thing I will say about Star Wars is that it has the biggest fan base of people who will trash the trailers and how much sacralige it is the recast characters but in the same sentence will tell you that they preordered their imax tickets and will probably see the movie 4-5 times in theaters.

Star Wars is a franchise that is where it is because of nostalgia, not because it's really a particularly good series. It's over exposed and will be milked for decades because of said nostalgia. It was the "Avatar" of it's time in regards to special effects and also like Avatar, it doesn't change that it's completely overhyped with a very weak story.

Sure people enjoy Star Wars and they have a massive fanbase but so do all of the sci fi franchises, like Doctor Who and Star Trek for instance. Star Wars certainly isn't unique in that sense either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ripshot 43

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm behind on everything movie wise, I hate going to the movies so I'm never up to date. Can't tstand hat the movie "starts" at say 7pm but there are 20 mins of trailers so it doesn't really start until 7:20 but if you show up then there aren't good seats left. Plus add that so many people are rude and use their cell phones during the movies nowadays. I just can't be bothered.

I see maybe 1 movie a year now at the theater. Being home and being able to pause and watch on a big screen TV with surround blows away any movie theater experience that isn't the real IMAX at Lincoln Square in the city.

I still need to see the last thor and black panther before watching the new avengers movie. Also need to watch the last star wars and the Rouge squadron movie still too.

My biggest thing is I hate watching things twice so while I've seen all the other star wars movies, Harry Potter and lord of the rings I'll never quite understand the fandom when it comes to watching stuff over and over again. I hated the lord of the rings series. I enjoyed the hobbit trilogy more but even that was meh for me. I'm just not into that genre and it's why I haven't bothered watching game of thrones either.

I can probably count on my hand the number of movies I've seen more then 2x. I'd always rather watch something I haven't seen before. It might make me terrible at movie quotes but I just don't care lol

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I've only been to, like, 3 or 4 movies in my life. I don't find it enjoyable. I'm not a fan in movies in general, but if I'm watching one, I'd much rather just watch at home.

Yeah same, I hate going to the movies and having to deal with other people. If like a new movies could come out and I could pay extra to watch it from the comfort of my home, that would be amazing.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I quite enjoyed Infinity War. There were a couple little things that kind of annoyed me, but that's pretty much any movie. I still think I'd rank the first Avengers movie slightly higher, but this was way better than Age of Ultron, which was boring as hell for me.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Can we all admit that the superhero movie thing is INSANELY played out?

I just read there's something like almost 20 of them slated for release over the next 3 years.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey

I just read there's something like almost 20 of them slated for release over the next 3 years.

Yeah or is pretty dumb. My friends get angry at me when I saw I am tired of all of the super hero movies. At this rate the only movies ever being made are going to be star wars or a super hero movie. :help:

Reactions: BenedictGomez

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017

yeah its a bit much.

but we all grew up with these things and our generation is now making movies. the lack of creativity is annoying.

can we really not come up with a new superhero????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad