OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) III - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
Not sure how many people here are into pop punk/emo but the new album by The Wonder Years leaked and it's fantastic. It's their Devil and God. Feeling emotions I didn't know existed.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
So i just seen The Force Awakens for the first time, and wow it was ok. I have some problems with it. Rey getting worked over in the Kylo fight even though she is shown as a melee bad ass. Hell Finn did better fighting Ren then he did the stormtrooper. The whole awaking the force and knowing how to use it correctly after having a little vision is dumb. The only reason Luke knew about the Jedi Mind trick was because he saw Ben do it. other then that it was enjoyable to me.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Finished God of War last week, was unreal. Will 100% it eventually.

Just started it. It's looks pretty. It's a little less, I dunno, harsh than what you expect out of the series. I've played through every game in the series and have always felt is was a little better than OK. So far this seems similar.

One thing I hate, no jumping. WTF is that ****? How do you not have that functionality?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Bleedred do I HAVE to watch Rocky Balboa before watching Creed? Because I can't find R.B. streaming anywhere
I don't think you really need to. There's a major spoiler that's explained in Rocky Balboa, but is not shown in the movie, it's only discussed and happens in the years between it and the fifth film.

I'd definitely watch Rocky Balboa at some point, but there's not much that happens in Rocky Balboa that has any bearing on Creed. At least I don't think so. I'd definitely watch as many of the preceding films as you can before getting to Creed, but if you've seen the first five films, I don't think it's absolutely necessary that you must watch Rocky Balboa before it.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I don't think you really need to. There's a major spoiler that's explained in Rocky Balboa, but is not shown in the movie, it's only discussed and happens in the years between it and the fifth film.

I'd definitely watch Rocky Balboa at some point, but there's not much that happens in Rocky Balboa that has any bearing on Creed. At least I don't think so. I'd definitely watch as many of the preceding films as you can before getting to Creed, but if you've seen the first five films, I don't think it's absolutely necessary that you must watch Rocky Balboa before it.

I've watched 1 to 5 already and have the chance to watch Creed now but since I don't own a DVD player or wanna give my computer aids by using a torrent site, so downloading is out of the question.

You would say it's okay to watch those films out of order then?

BTW if that spoiler you were referrng to was a certain major cast member dying, I already am well aware.

The board spoiled that for me while I was still on Rocky 4. Lol.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've watched 1 to 5 already and have the chance to watch Creed now but since I don't own a DVD player or wanna give my computer aids by using a torrent site, so downloading is out of the question.

You would say it's okay to watch those films out of order then?

BTW if that spoiler you were referrng to was a certain major cast member dying, I already am well aware.

The board spoiled that for me while I was still on Rocky 4. Lol.
I would definitely say it's okay to watch Rocky Balboa and Creed out of order. If you really wanted to, you could even watch Creed before Rocky 5 (which you've already watched, so it doesn't matter anyway) just because it doesn't feature Apollo and there's really nothing much referenced from the fifth or sixth film's in Creed.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
@Bleedred just finished the movie

Creed was everything Rocky V should of been.

I cannot wait for Creed - Conlin II. I only wish they gave us more development and backstory to Conlin like they did with Rocky franchise antagonists of the past. Like with Rocky I they did a great job building Rocky and Apollo's stories both up equally.

I didn't get that here.

Also, as it stands now, Bianca, while a suitable and fine love interest is hardly an Adrian.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Not sure how many people here are into pop punk/emo but the new album by The Wonder Years leaked and it's fantastic. It's their Devil and God. Feeling emotions I didn't know existed.
Funny but I was just thinking today that the Tom Savages would be a good name for something. I was thinking a beer league team, but a band would fit nicely as well.

Although Mookie Blaylock blocked pearl jam from using his name way back in the day.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Bleedred just finished the movie

Creed was everything Rocky V should of been.

I cannot wait for Creed - Conlin II. I only wish they gave us more development and backstory to Conlin like they did with Rocky franchise antagonists of the past. Like with Rocky I they did a great job building Rocky and Apollo's stories both up equally.

I didn't get that here.

Also, as it stands now, Bianca, while a suitable and fine love interest is hardly an Adrian.
Rumor has it that the Creed sequel will actually be Creed vs Drago, as in Ivan Drago's son. And Dolph Lundgren is supposed to make an appearance or even be a main star in that film.

Bianca was probably the opposite of Adrian, who was very shy and well, if I pursued a woman and she acted like Adrian did before she agreed to go out with Rocky, I would take that as not interested and definitely run the hell away from her!:laugh:

They actually wanted to give the role of Adrian to a few other actresses, but they felt that they were too pretty for the role. Talia Shire is definitely really good looking, but she can also pull off a plain, ordinary, not all that sexy look, which is how they made her look in the first film.

I figured even before Creed came out that Paulie (minor spoiler, which is revealed in the trailer anyway) was no longer alive for this one. It seemed logical that they were gonna kill him off. And as soon as I saw the trailer for the movie, it reveals that he's no longer alive, as it shows Rocky at his grave.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It was interesting watching the whole block in subs but not awful. Glad i checked back when i did to catch jojo HxH and Naruto in subs

I've found the subbed versions of like 95 out of 100 animes to be far superior. I think the Japanese voice actors are generally significantly more expressive.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
I've found the subbed versions of like 95 out of 100 animes to be far superior. I think the Japanese voice actors are generally significantly more expressive.
I honestly can not even hear the voice actors when watching subs. My Dyslexia makes it hard to read and comprehend what is going, even worse when reading subs of 3 or more characters talking. A lot of times i have to reread 2 or 3 times because i keep reading the same parts or jumping all over mid sentence. So if i want to read anime i just pick up the Manga, that i honestly prefer to all anime. No Filler.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I honestly can not even hear the voice actors when watching subs. My Dyslexia makes it hard to read and comprehend what is going, even worse when reading subs of 3 or more characters talking. A lot of times i have to reread 2 or 3 times because i keep reading the same parts or jumping all over mid sentence. So if i want to read anime i just pick up the Manga, that i honestly prefer to all anime. No Filler.

Ah damn that sucks. I love subs so much better than dubs. I cannot even watch English dubbed anime anymore. It is usually so bad compared to subs a lot of the time

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ah damn that sucks. I love subs so much better than dubs. I cannot even watch English dubbed anime anymore. It is usually so bad compared to subs a lot of the time

Agreed.

I do prefer manga too generally.

I generally prefer Manga as well for that reason. I despise filler. A lot of anime are made after the manga is complete though. It's really only these super long running series that end up with a ton of filler (dbz, Naruto, Bleach, etc.).

I can totally see how that could make subs a lot see enjoyable, btw. That really sucks. It's kind of nice once you start picking up some phrases though and you don't need all the subs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
First person I’ve heard say this. It is my favorite Marvel movie.

Details on your experience please

It is a big noisy mess with zero emotional weight.

The effects and acting were fine (though their were some bad effects moments).

The characters had some,som fun quips but overall were just cameos then fully realized characters.

The,ending had zero weight in the context of the movie or the greater scheme of things.

Overall the movie just made me want to watch the better Phase 3 movies again then Avengers 4.

Black Panther was light years better then this .

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It is a big noisy mess with zero emotional weight.

The effects and acting were fine (though their were some bad effects moments).

The characters had some,som fun quips but overall were just cameos then fully realized characters.

The,ending had zero weight in the context of the movie or the greater scheme of things.

Overall the movie just made me want to watch the better Phase 3 movies again then Avengers 4.

Black Panther was light years better then this .

I saw a completely different movie but then again, I have been waiting for a movie like this since I was a child.

Big noisy mess with zero emotional weight? I saw a movie that was filled with action and during its “down” times had comedy to lighten the mood that was mentioned for an audience of all ages.

They weren’t cameos because they didn’t get enough screen time, the only way this movie ever gets made is the way we saw it and I thought they did an amazing job jumping from set piece to set piece without making the movie feel disjointed.

The ending having zero weight? That one I can kind of give you, just because anybody who knows the movies knows there is more to what we just witnessed. Basically we got the cut off of one long movie that they had to cut into two.

Winter Soldier was my favorite MCU movie leading into this one.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I have been tired of marvel movies and stuff for a while and even I can say Infinity War was a good movie. If you cant see that then I dont know what to tell you. The movie took a lot of risks especially with that ending and you have to give them praise for it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It really wasn’t though. It was a carbon copy of big comic crossovers that you need to buy all the tie in comic to get the full story, while the main run is entirely underwhelming with twists and deathes that are obviously going to be undone (and yes it is all getting undone, they even introduced multiple ways to actually undo it).

It was one big giant ad for Marvel’s better solo pictures.

And yes cameos. I don’t think Black Panther, Cap, or Black Widow had more then 20 lines in this entire movie. They were just there to remind you Winter Solider and Black Panther were superior movies.

Honestly releasing this so close to Black Panther did the movie zero favors because of how good and original Black Panther was, while this movie was pretty standard team up affair. The only difference is this movie is a lot bigger, but that only hurts the film because all personal stakes are lost. No one is on the screen long enough to get invested in outside of maybe Thanos.

The only arc in the movie belongs to Thanos and it is only half realized because the true third act doesn’t happen until next summer. Even then everything he is doing falls apart the moment you actually think about it. Honestly while his motivation in the original comic story is a lot more petty, it still makes more sense overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad