Prospect Info: Connor McDavid: The Thread - McUsernames for everyone!

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Continue the McDavid conversation here. I will rebuild the shrine when I have some more time after class tonight.

One piece of information to start the conversation, McDavid will be starting his series vs Oshawa this friday with a birth to the memorial cup final on the line.

Also look for my Connor McDavid video to release in the coming days! :nod:

---

Well we did it folks, we won and I still cannot believe it. Somehow the hockey gods have granted us the most valuable asset in all of the NHL, and this smile won't leave my face! Connor McDavid is coming to town! This is your one stop shop for everything you need to know pre-draft! 5 14 6 1 :yo: I'll continue to update this OP as more news and content is made available.

InCAUL4.jpg

Lottery Process

[NHL]810726[/NHL]

Fan Reactions

Videos

Connor McDavid Transitions - 25 Minute Mini Documentary MUST WATCH!

Scouting Reports

Has a 'next generation' processor and sees the game in a 'parallel universe.' Lightning quick in his head, hands and feet and what the minds directs the feet and hands can do. Exceptional ability to recognize both opportunity and danger at the same time and then exploit the opportunity and avoid the danger. Big time competitor albeit a 'quiet' one but lethal.
Analysis: Craig Button - TSNs Direct of Scouting

An intelligent and highly creative player who makes dynamic plays that will pull you out of your seat…a fluid skater who moves with outstanding speed, agility, solid quickness and an impressive change of pace…he controls the game whenever he touches the ice, and uses his intelligence and vision to put the puck exactly where he wants it…has a very sharp, accurate shot that allows him to pick corners or small openings on the tender even while in full flight…not afraid to work the wall and retrieve pucks himself…has all the tools to become the NHL’s next superstar…just an incredible offensive talent. (August 2014) - Future Considerations

Full analysis:
What to say about McDavid, against junior competition he looks dominant, almost too dominant for his own sake as at times it seems even his own teammates cannot process the game at the same speed and with the same savviness McDavid does.

Has elite speed and stickhandling, extremely fluid on his skates, the stride does not look choppy but instead smooth almost effortless and yet he seems to blow by his opposition with ease. Top notch mobility, changes angles and adjusts speed depending on the play he's going for with ease. Has both dimensions where he will either explode past a checker by utilizing his acceleration, or slow down and use his angling and elite hands to gain time and space to make a play, both with equal proficiency, thus he has the straight-ahead power capability of typical intense-straight line forwards as well as the composure and patience of typical playmaking and cerebral forwards.

This multi-dimensionality should make him hard to defend both passively positionally or aggressively physically. His elite vision will break down passive positional defenses, while playing him aggressively one-on-one can be broken down with his speed and elite stickhandling.

On his skates he has a low centre of gravity that allows him to fight off checks, he doesn't have a huge frame but uses leverage to maintain body position against checking. While that serves his puck protection all over the ice, it comes in especially handy at the boards against bigger players, where he is still able to keep possession of the puck with angling and leverage and then use his vision to make a play off it to his teammate. That low center of gravity, body angling, and leverage is especially important for average sized and below players at the next level as it allows them to keep a semblance of a puck-protection game even against bigger and stronger pro players which in turn doesn't reduce them to a purely up-and-down off-the-rush players.

McDavid likes to change speeds to open up angles, can blow by guys or slow it down to make a play off the space that just opened up, often both on the same shift as he uses the former to gain entry and the latter to set-up in the zone, all the while displaying his elite stickhandling ability that allows for control even at top speeds.

In traffic he is very adept at creating with minimal time, by processing the game quicker than the opposition and combining that with his mobility, low centre of gravity, technical skills, and vision, he easily takes advantage of the play in tight, creating the space and then exploiting it. Is extremely adept at taking advantage of developing "soft spots" both with the puck on his stick where he will either make passes into them or skate the puck into the space himself, or without the puck with his positioning as he reads the space extremely well and positions himself in the "soft spots" as an available option for a pass.

Has that quality where 50-50 pucks tend to end up on his stick more often than not, bouncing pucks, swatting pucks mid-air, getting it out of his or someone else's feet etc. with some players it just seems like they get those bounces and McDavid certainly has that quality to him.

Shifty, has a start-stop and gear change ability that backs off defenses and utilizes his vision and elite technical skills to create off the gained space. The only obvious area that isn't elite for a prospect is his shot, which has room for improvement. Projects as a 1st line center with elite skill level and vision.

Developmental focus: Most obviously his shot from distance, which is just about the only thing that isn't elite. Other than that, just the things that come with maturity - getting to the pro-level fitness of 20 year olds, faceoffs etc.

Projection: Franchise forward, 1st line center, 1st PP unit

The Hockey Writers Scouting Report

Quotes

I mean, any of those 14 teams (in the lottery) it would have been an absolute honor. If I am selected by Edmonton it will be amazing, a dream come true. They have a lot of amazing young players there - Connor McDavid

"It’s always been important to me to not be ‘that guy.’ My Dad told me that when I was going into the OHL. There was all sorts of talk about me skipping out on Erie, going somewhere else, and it was my Dad who told me, ‘You don’t want to be that guy.’ I am grateful to him for that advice because it’s so true, he was so right. The last three years in Erie have been the best three years of my life. I’ve always said I would be happy and honoured to play for any team. I have always felt strongly about that.â€

Jeff Jackson, Connor McDavid's agent "if he's selected, he'd be honoured to play for the Edmonton Oilers." Courtesy TSN 1050

“He’s as good as I’ve seen in the last 30 years, the best player to come into the league in the last 30 years, the best to come along since (Mario) Lemieux and (Sidney) Crosby. He can definitely change a franchise’s fortunes, I think it’ll be a perfect fit for Connor in Edmonton. Not one bit is Edmonton a suffocating place to play. He’ll be treated like an Edmontonian. People will give him his privacy while they’re enamoured by his ability." - Wayne Gretzky

“He’s more than just a franchise player. He’s going to be the captain on that team in a few years. And if he’s not, and somebody else is the captain, they’re going to have phenomenal leadership on that team.

“They said that Edmonton won the lottery. This is an immeasurable lottery. This is more than winning the lottery. I don’t know how you describe winning this. I don’t know if they have words to describe what the Oilers have won here.

“I don’t know how you measure winning this lottery that they won. You put that new building they got coming and now Connor McDavid coming, too? What a combination that’s going to be.†- Sherry Bassin (Erie Otters Owner)

Photoshop + GIF's

ddatW4j.gif

article_a4dca810-3d7a-433e-9c55-00510684f704.JPG

2004_100ff_zpsuovyqqhs.png

hAqXU4D.jpg

CC9mcUwVAAA9g2k.jpg:small

O04TFhV.jpg

xPtA6K9.gif

xqlHFJq.png

Credit to Del Preston for the GIFs and Blunderbore for the beautiful paint art

Last edited by a moderator:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Twitter Reactions

Next for McDavid

Connor McDavid will meet Oilers prospect Darnell Nurse in a battle for the OHL Eastern Conference title. Erie Otters vs Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds begins this week. SSM is the favorite, with a lineup featuring recent high end NHL draft picks like Nick Ritchie, Anthony DeAngelo, Darnell Nurse, Jared McCann, and Sergei Tolchinsky.

1381324655-chl_ohl_erie.png

vs.

1381323775-chl_ohl_sault-ste-marie2.png

If you would like to tune into this series you can purchase an OHL game pass here -> https://ohl.neulion.com/ohl/secure/registerform

Game 1
SSM vs. Erie
Thu Apr 23, 5:07MT

Game 2
SSM vs. Erie
Fri Apr 24, 5:07MT

Game 3
SSM at Erie
Sun Apr 26, 5:00MT

Game 4
SSM at Erie
Tue Apr 28, 5:00MT

Game 5 (if necessary)
SSM vs. Erie
Thu Apr 30, 5:07MT

Game 6 (if necessary)
SSM at Erie
Sat May 2 5:00MT

Game 7 (if necessary)
SSM vs. Erie
Mon May 4 5:07MT

News Articles

Connor McDavids dad pours cold water on Connor pulling a "Lindros".

To Other Fanbases

tumblr_ni3akdLOC01s8f21vo1_500.jpg

CC6glsYVAAEbj9Y.png

Praise Bill and the Lucky Socks!

[NHL]811909[/NHL]

CDDum2fVEAAwht8.jpg:large

Wear the badge with pride

5-14-6-1 will forever be our lucky numbers. :yo:

Thanks Bill :)

470277484-deputy-commisioner-bill-daly-congratulates-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Preserved your shrine in the first two posts.

EDIT: But speaking of which, they're making the page difficult to load cause they're so image and video heavy. Maybe new shrine, new content? Something to think about.

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
How many more days until we draft "the special"? I feel like I need to make a visual countdown of how many sleeps are left until McD day.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
One day, a talented lass or fellow, a special one with face of yellow, will make the Piece of Resistance found from it's hiding refuge underground, and with a noble army at the helm, this Master Builder will thwart the Kragle and save the realm, and be the greatest, most interesting, most important person of all times. All this is true because it rhymes.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I'm not quite prepared to proclaim him better than Crosby but, as someone who watched Crosby a few times as a Junior, one big thing I notice is... Connor just makes it look easy. Sid, even as a ridiculously dominant Junior, played like he plays now: lots of hard skating, physical contact, play down low, etc.

The only player I've seen who could make a five-point night look easier than McDavid does was 66.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Just a thought. If McDavid wins the memorial cup, comes to EDM, we miss the playoffs and he wins a world hockey championship next year he'll have won the WJC, WHC and memorial cup. Pretty crazy. If NHL players go to the 2018 Olympics McDavid likely goes as well giving him a chance at gold. Hes set up to be extremely decorated. Has there ever been a line combo of players that are more decorated than Hall and McDavid if this happens?

Last edited:

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I'm not quite prepared to proclaim him better than Crosby but, as someone who watched Crosby a few times as a Junior, one big thing I notice is... Connor just makes it look easy. Sid, even as a ridiculously dominant Junior, played like he plays now: lots of hard skating, physical contact, play down low, etc.

The only player I've seen who could make a five-point night look easier than McDavid does was 66.

Yea the one thing when i watch him is that he just seems bigger if that makes sense. Crosby you could always tell played with that low center of gravity hard on his edges and all the other intangibles you mention

Mcdavid seems to be speedy, elusive and use strength in an intelligent way where its not his main thing but he can use it just like Mario.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
I think I read in some of these threads that the Oshawa/Eerie games will be on Sportsnet, starting today (Friday).
I'm not seeing it in my guide on TV (bell). Also don't see it here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/schedule/

Can anyone confirm what channels it might be on?

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Just a thought. If McDavid wins the memorial cup, comes to EDM, we miss the playoffs and he wins a world hockey championship next year he'll have won the WJC, WHC and memorial cup. Pretty crazy. If NHL players go to the 2018 Olympics McDavid likely goes as well giving him a chance at gold. Hes set up to be extremely decorated. Has there ever been a line combo of players that are more decorated than Hall and McDavid if this happens?

Or, you jknow, we make the playoffs and we win the cup :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Connor McHockey
i think Connorey McHockey
Connor Hockeygod
or Sean Connery McHockey 0097 Bond

you know...something quiet and simple....something humble.
*whistles*
yeah...f-u flames.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I ran the lottery probably 3000 times over a month . 500 one time . !000 a few time then a few at other times . Over the times i did it the Oilers were always the top winning team for me . I had a gut feeling they would win even before i used the simulator . i think as much as other teams hate on us we deserve this more then anyone we did not sell off assets to try and tank .

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
Connor McHockey
i think Connorey McHockey
Connor Hockeygod
or Sean Connery McHockey 0097 Bond

you know...something quiet and simple....something humble.
*whistles*
yeah...f-u flames.

Of all those suggestions, I think "f-u Flames" has the best ring to it. Let's call him that.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
actually, it was religious people who killed Jesus. Many friends of Jesus do not like being associated with 'religious"

king david has a great ring to it. I like it a lot but it is not the grade school level nickname hockey players tend to give. It is too clever. They usually shorten the name and add "ee" sound to the end. imo, the most likely is connee like Flames Assistant GM Craig Conroy.

I don't disagree regarding what players will call him but we tend to try and combine the term media and fans use to describe players and how they refer to each other.
I doubt there ever was a player that called Gretzky 'the great one' and so on. I remember most players simply referring to him as Wayne, Gretzky or Gretz. Pretty sure whatever name fans and media choose for McDavid won't be used in the locker room or on the ice. It'll be more like Connor, McDavid, McD or perhaps even Connee..something short like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->