I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Gaudreau has 4 points more than McDavid
Monahan has 4 points more than Draisaitl
Tkachuk has 3 more points than Nuge
Backlund is tied with Maroon
Brodie has 1 more point than Looch

And people say our bottom 6 isn't scoring.

hankbuster

May 25, 2004
Weird cherry picking of stats.
Why isn't 2nd line centre Backlund not compare with our 2nd line centre RNH?
And does Brodie play forward now? I don't think anyone thinks our D is score at all. Calgary bottom 6 is very bad too, Bennett has 1 pt. Their D is picking up the slack.

And com'on! Drai played 5 LESS GAME then Monahan

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Most of his unsustainable numbers are from low powerplay shooting percentage. But when you think about it, if they had scored on the powerplay, that would lower the shot totals and expected goals for totals.

That said, his xgf/60 at ES is way up from last year. He's ppg at ES and his puck luck has been average at best. Last year he had 70 ES points and he's on pace to hit 82 now. He can realistically hit 80+ ES points and once the powerplay production normalizes, especially with powerplays up now, he'll be good for 30+ powerplay points as well.

Breaking 110 points is very realistic. Even more if the bounces are there.

Looking at advanced stats from corsica, out of all players who are on ridiculous paces right now, Connor McDavid is the only one with sustainable underlying numbers.

Can I ask where you are getting your numbers from? You mention Corsica, but the Corsica website appears to be completely broken. When I try to go to the skate stats, it just offers to "Download table as CSV", and then it just downloads a .htm page, and not a .csv at all. Maybe I'm just going to the wrong areas of the site, but all the stats pages seem to have the same problem.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

None of this will be applicable in a few weeks when:

McDavid will have more points than Gaudreau
Draisaitl will have more points than Monahan
Nuge will have more points than Tkachuk.
Maroon will have more points than Backlund.
Lucic will have more points than Brodie (lol)

Last edited:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Weird cherry picking of stats.
Why isn't 2nd line centre Backlund not compare with our 2nd line centre RNH?
And does Brodie play forward now? I don't think anyone thinks our D is score at all. Calgary bottom 6 is very bad too, Bennett has 1 pt. Their D is picking up the slack.

And com'on! Drai played 5 LESS GAME then Monahan

Just for fun no organizing the stats.
If I organize them the way you say our top 6 especially our first line need to pick it up a bit.

McDavid makes a ton more money than everybody else so it makes sense he should make a ton more points as well. Otherwise he isn't worth it. (of course he isn't getting the big bucks til next year so right now he is a steal of a deal)

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Despite this disaster we've seen from the team so far this year, McDavid has climbed to sixth in league scoring -- and now on pace to score 104 points.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Despite this disaster we've seen from the team so far this year, McDavid has climbed to sixth in league scoring -- and now on pace to score 104 points.

The scary thing is Connor isn’t even playing at the level we know he’s capable of. Once he heats up and if our PP gets going, I expect his production to get even better.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
None of this will be applicable in a few weeks when:

McDavid will have more points than Gaudreau
Draisaitl will have more points than Monahan
Nuge will have more points than Tkachuk.
Maroon will have more points than Backlund.
Lucic will have more points than Brodie (lol)
As of today

McDavid has 3 less points than Gaudreau
Draisaitl has 5 less points than Monohan
Nuge has 2 more points than Tkachuk
Maroon has 1 less point than Backlund
Lucic has the same amount of points as Brodie.

So its getting closer.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Leads the league in takeaways now. Reminds me of Sergei Fedorov how he catches players with his skating and strips the puck from them.

Could be one game from leading the league in points too.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Up to third in NHL scoring. I expect him to win the scoring title again. He's looked back to his old self last few games. Was amazing against Toronto despite no goals.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton

McDavid has 2 points more than Gaudreau
Monahan has 7 points more than Draisaitl
Nuge has 3 more points than Tkachuk
Backlund has 1 more point than Maroon
Lucic has 6 more point than Brodie

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Third in the league in scoring only three points back of the Tampa Twosome. Imagine if the PP ever gets on track.

And to think people were saying he needed to do more.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Apparently last night was only his 2nd career game with 4+ points.

That is kinda mind blowing.
I came here to post exactly this. He has so many multi-point games yet that was only the second one with more than 3. Heck he didn't have any 4 point games all of last year.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Apparently last night was only his 2nd career game with 4+ points.

That is kinda mind blowing.

The crazy thing about McDavid really isn't his ability to have MONSTER games in my opinion, its his ability to consistently have 2 point games. He just generates SOOOO many chances on a game-by-game basis, that even when the team is playing terribly, he's hard to keep off the scoresheet. Consistency, which is the hardest thing to have, is really one of his best abilities.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The crazy thing about McDavid really isn't his ability to have MONSTER games in my opinion, its his ability to consistently have 2 point games. He just generates SOOOO many chances on a game-by-game basis, that even when the team is playing terribly, he's hard to keep off the scoresheet. Consistency, which is the hardest thing to have, is really one of his best abilities.

This of course is not lost on me, the biggest thing that separates him from his peers is the ability to score consistently. Other players can go on hot stretches where they score at comparable paces(Hello, Kucherov), but they can't keep it up for entire seasons.

It's still pretty weird that he hasn't had that many super dominant games though.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This of course is not lost on me, the biggest thing that separates him from his peers is the ability to score consistently. Other players can go on hot stretches where they score at comparable paces(Hello, Kucherov), but they can't keep it up for entire seasons.

It's still pretty weird that he hasn't had that many super dominant games though.
He has to have an 8 point night in him at some point in his career.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
He's been looking a lot faster both defensively and offensively. Hopefully a good sign for the team and for him!

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He's been looking a lot faster both defensively and offensively. Hopefully a good sign for the team and for him!

Last night was Mcdavids best two way game of the year. I found it ironic that he told the media "he knows when he plays good or bad no matter what the stats say" and then goes on to play his first game in a long time where he was superb defensively AND statistically. He was hard on the backcheck and was not giving the puck up or forcing the play as much as typical.

He legitimately, imo, has recieved some criticism for his defensive play this year. Hopefully a game like this shows him how good defense leads to good offense and winning.

Draisaitl had a monster game defensively, only picked up one assist, but hopefully he continues doing that as well.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
So damn good. He can play with really anybody and still rack up the points - Maroon or Lucic.. it don't matter. Draisaitl or Pulju.. no effect. He could probably even succeed playing with Eric Belanger.

Heard some people already talking about Stamkos and Kucherov being the first top 2 scoring leaders from the same team in a long time. I think McDavid is gonna have something to say about that.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I would say that this road trip was the first time this year where I looked at McDavid and thought that he looked like his skating AND strength on the puck were back to normal levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->