Prospect Info: Connor Hurley (2013, 38th) – '18-19: Unsigned; Norfolk #16 (ECHL)

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Aftet doing more research and seeing div 1 college hockey has special exemption like basketball or football ....With him leaving notre dame I believe before second semester started he could join minnesota in January because he sat out a year and did 2 semesters at minnesota without playing.

Ncaa has done transfer exception in situations like a player injury like in football where tge team starting qb is lost for the season due to injury in august before season starts and someone took his job snd takes the team to a bowl so new person would be the starter next year. . They have also allowed transfers for family reasons such as a parent having cancer. The losing university doesn't protest the move.
If he was enrolled in classes at the school during the second semester, even for one day, he'd have to sit out until the Fall 2018 semester.

The NCAA is fairly arbitrary with their rulings and there is really no way of knowing what kind of decision they'll make. I've personally seen them rule a kid ineligible that played zero games in a season and was released from his NLI by his coach in hopes that he'd find a situation that allowed him to play, only to have the rug pulled out from under him and being ruled ineligible for the entire season just before it began.

Seemingly the only reliable way to transfer is the graduate transfer rule.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Of course, my only frame of reference is Kris Bakers notes, but it sounded to me like the college eligibility rule isn't hard and true, and exceptions can be made through appeal.

My guess is that if a college team wanted him on the roster, they would find a way.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Of course, my only frame of reference is Kris Bakers notes, but it sounded to me like the college eligibility rule isn't hard and true, and exceptions can be made through appeal.

My guess is that if a college team wanted him on the roster, they would find a way.

Not when the NC$$ is involved.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wonder if this decision has Connor thinking of going elsewhere?

He's already taken the athletic year off and is going to UM for classes. I would be surprised if he goes somewhere else now, but you never know. Still don't know why he left the Irish, though either a disciplinary issue or a scholastic one seems possible.

Reactions: LaxSabre

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Turns out he won't be playing for the Gophers. Maybe his atttitude (in HS he was epitome of cake eater from what I remember) clashed with the new coach. Not even sure he's playing hockey anymore, though.

Reactions: jBuds

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
I've only ever heard it in the Mighty Ducks movies.
I've heard it in Charlie Wilson's War too. Philip Seymour Hoffman's character is talking to Tom Hanks' character and he calls another guy a cake eater.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Not that it matters, but did we need to sign him by August 15th or something? When did we lose his rights? If he does I'm going to college and then I'm not fakeout then he's a free agent? Weird.
If you check last night's roster report he's listed right next to Artem Kriukov: Playing Roster
That would indicate the Sabres retain his rights. I couldn't tell you how long they'll hold them for, though.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->