Confirmed: Talks starting back to Sqaure 1 - 90 Minute Meeting Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Makes me sick hearing this, both sides should at least try to lie to us and say that we have made progress over the last six months and though all proposals are off the table, each side has learned a greatly from eachother and it will help the process. Stop making it like i've wasted my time since September.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
nyrmessier011 said:
Makes me sick hearing this, both sides should at least try to lie to us and say that we have made progress over the last six months and though all proposals are off the table, each side has learned a greatly from eachother and it will help the process. Stop making it like i've wasted my time since September.
This is all just part of the IMPASSE dance .. You can't be at Impasse if you have a clean slate and are starting over ..

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
It flies in the face of logic to say that they are square one. This is just the media's interpretation.

Square one was when for 5 months the bantering was Cap, No Cap, Cap, No Cap....

They may be starting at the beginning in terms of negotiating the limits/conditions but atleast they are talking similar framework now.

That was the biggest step in this whole fiasco.

Unless the PA drops a bomb and says they pulled their acceptance of a capped system off the table, they are much further ahead than square one.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
copperandblue said:
It flies in the face of logic to say that they are square one. This is just the media's interpretation.

Square one was when for 5 months the bantering was Cap, No Cap, Cap, No Cap....

They may be starting at the beginning in terms of negotiating the limits/conditions but atleast they are talking similar framework now.

That was the biggest step in this whole fiasco.

Unless the PA drops a bomb and says they pulled their acceptance of a capped system off the table, they are much further ahead than square one.
It's a fresh start.

''Everybody approaches a restart of discussions with the perspective that we are back at square one,'' NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said in an e-mail Thursday, adding that it might be time to look at ''new approaches and concepts for each side.''

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=117970&hubName=nhl

ResidentAlien*

I think it is a fresh start with knowledge gained by both sides.

So in theory it is a fresh start, in reality it's picking up where they left off.
I hope anyways!

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Starting from square one would be the NHL re-openeing and presenting its July 21 proposal including salary slotting, performance based salary system, payroll range system, centralised negotiation of player contracts, or P-4 plan...

Now that would be square 1.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Well yeah, officially they're back at square one with the proposals, but the NHL now knows that the PA is eventually willing to go off the No-Cap stance and the PA knows the NHL is willing to drop linkage.

So they are a little ahead, even if they have to go through the motions again....

SENSible1*

The Messenger said:
It's a fresh start.

''Everybody approaches a restart of discussions with the perspective that we are back at square one,'' NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said in an e-mail Thursday, adding that it might be time to look at ''new approaches and concepts for each side.''

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=117970&hubName=nhl

Always the master of the half quote to skew meaning.

Just once try and present an honest representation.

Here is THE ENTIRE QUOTE from Saskin.

''Having said that, obviously a lot has been discussed and hopefully learned from over the last few years in terms of what works and doesn't work for each side.''

Changes the meaning more than just a little bit, wouldn't you say?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Am I the only one who actually thinks that this is actually a good thing?

Clearly, even the owners last proposal was a non-starter for the PA for whatever reason, so I guess they wanted to start over.

Looking at this from some new angles might help.

Old Hickory

Drury_Sakic said:

Clearly, even the owners last proposal was a non-starter for the PA for whatever reason, so I guess they wanted to start over.

I am with you

Any dialog is a good thing. Even though there is less than a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000005600000000012% chance anything will happen today. I am glad they are talking.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Did Saskins say 'We will never accept a cap'? If he did, we are back at square one...

But he didn't, so this 'square one' is obviously not the same 'square one' the NHLPA was standing on last year.

SPARTAKUS*

Drury_Sakic said:

Yes I agree with you. They have to come to the table with a different mind set. First of all both sides have to stop all the rhetorics and resolve this mess and prepare for next season. God knows they have a lot work in front of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Drury_Sakic said:

I agree with you. Hammer out all the little things then deal with a cap number.

They need to follow the NBA who's PA and Owners are meeting three times a week until a deal gets done.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Makes me sick hearing this, both sides should at least try to lie to us and say that we have made progress over the last six months and though all proposals are off the table, each side has learned a greatly from eachother and it will help the process.

...and no matter what happens, remember that Mommy and Daddy.... er, Gary and Bob love you.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
By fresh start I think the pa means cap not on the table.
For the NHL means linkage now neccessary.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
JWI19 said:
I agree with you. Hammer out all the little things then deal with a cap number.

They need to follow the NBA who's PA and Owners are meeting three times a week until a deal gets done.

actually, it makes more sense to hammer out the salary cap number first. that way which ever side has to give the most can be enticed into taking that cap number with concessions on some of the other issues.

Example...the players are forced to take a $38m cap and will agree if they keep 66% buyouts on all contracts, arbitration remains the same and free agent age drops to 28. If those issues are agreed to first they either can't be used to make the whole package work OR they will have to be renegotiated anyway.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
pei fan said:
By fresh start I think the pa means cap not on the table.
For the NHL means linkage now neccessary.

I would agree that this seems to be the case. In fact the PA put linkage back on the table by insisting on an increasing cap based on increased revenue, but no decrease for decreasing revenue. That was kind of silly.

with the season cancelled the numbers are all going to be smaller anyway. thats another thing that i dont expect the PA will like.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Fresh start is good - would you like them back at the table bickering over numbers and rights than introducing fresh, new concepts which should be the cornerstone of any joint-ventured CBA?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
futurcorerock said:
Fresh start is good - would you like them back at the table bickering over numbers and rights than introducing fresh, new concepts which should be the cornerstone of any joint-ventured CBA?

I don't see many fresh, new concepts. I see linkage and nothing but linkage from the league and wait nothing but wait from the players side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->