Concern over Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Little concern over Ovechkin in regards on how Washington is using him. I think they are trying to make Kovalchuk out of him, the only thing they want from him is score goals. I noticed that sometimes he is missing defensive tasks, forget the fact that he does not play any PK. I know that Ovechkin is multitalented and probably will not have problem adjusting playing PK for Russia but I do not like the tendency of Ovechkin turning into this one dimensional offensive player.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
For the record, Ovechkin has been killing penalties all night against Ottawa tonight. And he creates most of the offense for the Caps on a nightly basis. He's a franchise winger, through and through.

You seem to think becoming "another Kovalchuk" is a bad thing...most teams would love to be worried about this issue.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Siberian said:
Little concern over Ovechkin in regards on how Washington is using him. I think they are trying to make Kovalchuk out of him, the only thing they want from him is score goals. I noticed that sometimes he is missing defensive tasks, forget the fact that he does not play any PK. I know that Ovechkin is multitalented and probably will not have problem adjusting playing PK for Russia but I do not like the tendency of Ovechkin turning into this one dimensional offensive player.

Dude, he's not just a one dimensional player. And Washington is not turning him into one. He makes some nice defensive plays, although I wouldn't call it his strong suite.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Siberian said:
Your concern is that Ovechkin will not be PK ready when he puts the Russian jersey on? I'm not in on the Russian's coaching meetings but I probably do not have to be to realize they do not care one bit about his PK work. Of course as he matures Hanlon will look for him to be adequate in his own zone and perhaps finish Pk's off when you may catch a tired group on the ice. Other than that I don't think Washington drafted him to be a defensive Danny.

Chinaski*

I don't have no concerns about Ovechkin or Kovalchuck for that matter. Kovalchuck is one of the best players around.

joe_shannon_1983*

Chinaski said:
I don't have no concerns about Ovechkin or Kovalchuck for that matter.

You don't have no concerns?

That must mean you have some concerns.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Ovechkin's PK time has increased as the season has gone on.

He also plays a lot in 4 on 4's, and though his shot blocking technique isn't the best, he still does it. Though, as a Caps fan I cringe when I see our franchise player doing it (part of me is happy though).

He also has assisted more as the season has worn on, and you see less of the end to end rushes and more of a short game. He is also showing to be pretty multi-dimensional on the powerplay. He can play the point, the short boards and then up close if he needs to.

I don't think he is in anyway one dimensional. I mean, he scores with speed, with creativity, and with his physical play.

But whatever.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Chimaera said:
Ovechkin's PK time has increased as the season has gone on.

He also plays a lot in 4 on 4's, and though his shot blocking technique isn't the best, he still does it. Though, as a Caps fan I cringe when I see our franchise player doing it (part of me is happy though).

He also has assisted more as the season has worn on, and you see less of the end to end rushes and more of a short game. He is also showing to be pretty multi-dimensional on the powerplay. He can play the point, the short boards and then up close if he needs to.

I don't think he is in anyway one dimensional. I mean, he scores with speed, with creativity, and with his physical play.

But whatever.

I do not think that anyone ever saw him as 'one dimensional' He would not have been the prospect he was considered to be if he had been one dimensional. He has no holes in his game. Once a decade prospects (that of late come along in 3's in two years :sarcasm: ) are like that. That said, he is much stonger in the sniper side of his game. That does not make him bad defensively, just not as good as he is as a sniper. Just like the other way, Malkin was always seen as the more 'balanced' player, not that he does not have a goal scoring touch, he also has it all. Just not a sniper like Ovechkin is. I am pretty sure that very few feel otherwise, that Ovechkin is one dimensional.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Jag68Vlady27 said:
For the record, Ovechkin has been killing penalties all night against Ottawa tonight. And he creates most of the offense for the Caps on a nightly basis. He's a franchise winger, through and through.

You seem to think becoming "another Kovalchuk" is a bad thing...most teams would love to be worried about this issue.

For a more accurate record less than a minute and a half of the over 10 minutes shorthanded that Washington had.

That said he is used in every role, has more than twice the points as anyone else on his team, a near even +/- on a team outscored 151 to 108.

Arguably the next Crosby! :D

wildone26*

Neither Ovechkin or Crosby are as outstanding at the defensive side of the game as the offensive, so he is not behind the player he is always compared to in this sense IMHO. In fact Ovechkin looks like the better defensive player of the two, to me anyway, right now, but he is older, and defensive awareness is probably something that grows with age and maturity even more than various offensive skills.

espo*

He's the least of team Russia's concerns.You're lucky he is Russian,he'll probably be one of your best players in Italy.Don't worry.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
cyclops said:
He's the least of team Russia's concerns.You're lucky he is Russian,he'll probably be one of your best players in Italy.Don't worry.

If anything, I'd be concerned about Malkin. Playing big tournaments is very stressful, and he's just experienced crushing dissapointment at the World Juniors.

Now he's going to have even more pressure at the Olympics. Guy's still a teen, for pete's sake.

espo*

octopi said:
If anything, I'd be concerned about Malkin. Playing big tournaments is very stressful, and he's just experienced crushing dissapointment at the World Juniors.

Now he's going to have even more pressure at the Olympics. Guy's still a teen, for pete's sake.
he is indeed young for the pressure cooker for sure.Ovechkin i would'nt worry about too much.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I for one worry most about Zhamnov and his psychological stability.

wildone26*

Malkin was a dissapointment, as far as his level of play in the gold medal final vs Canada. I did not even think he was the best Russian on the ice that night. Granted Canada's strong defence had some to do with it, but as I said he did not even look like the most dangerous or effective Russian that night in creating chances or making things happen. My impression of him to this point is he is somebody who cracks under the pressure of big games, but in Turin he wont be on the leaders(likely)so maybe that will allow him to relax and play his game more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->