CONCACAF Nations League

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
What is the point of this tourney?

We already have the Gold Cup. Aside of the name, is this somehow different?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It says it’s qualifying for the gold cup.

Yeah I saw that in the link, but it says it will *also* be used as Gold Cup qualifying. What's the other purpose?

Is this just a better qualifying method? I just don't understand what the point is.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
My understanding it is a way for the "lesser" (no offence meant) CONCACAF nations get to play more competitive games. For the most part these teams are eliminated from World Cup contention 3 years before the tournament starts and they play very few matches during that time period, mostly talking about these tiny Caribbean nations

Lets look at US Virgin Islands as an example; they were eliminated from WC contention on March 2015(!). Since then, nearly a full three years, they have only played 3 competitive matches and no friendly games, crazy

Reactions: Tuggy

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
My understanding it is a way for the "lesser" (no offence meant) CONCACAF nations get to play more competitive games. For the most part these teams are eliminated from World Cup contention 3 years before the tournament starts and they play very few matches during that time period, mostly talking about these tiny Caribbean nations

Lets look at US Virgin Islands as an example; they were eliminated from WC contention on March 2015(!). Since then, nearly a full three years, they have only played 3 competitive matches and no friendly games, crazy

Makes sense. With the bulk of the member nations being so small there just isn't enough competition to go around.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

That would be great. A lot of those smaller nations players aren't full time or just play locally as well - so they could play more often hypothetically.

I was just wary this was another cash grab to get more "meaningful" US-Mexico matches. I don't need any nights of watching Alexi Lalas hyping up some scrimmage with Costa Rica's C squad with a rant about passion.

Reactions: Gecklund

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This first iteration will be qualifying to set up the three leagues (A, B, C). The hex teams from WC qualifying automatically qualify for League A and everyone else will have to qualify. This phase will also serve as qualifying for the 2019 Gold Cup, which has been expanded from 12 to 16 teams. The top 10 teams in qualifying of the Nations league will qualify for the Gold Cup (joining the 6 hex teams already qualified).

It's quite a process right now but I think once the three leagues are settled it will be straight forward.

Here is the qualifying wiki with group standings and scheduling.

2019–20 CONCACAF Nations League qualifying - Wikipedia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad