Confirmed with Link: Branding, Jerseys, Community Involvement, Arena & Water Street Tampa - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">And it all pales in comparison to the numbers of any Bucs preseason game. <a href="FOX Sports Bolts on Twitter">FOX Sports Bolts on Twitter</a></p>&mdash; JoeBucsFan (@JoeBucsFan) <a href="">

Let Joe know what you think.

Meh. Whatever. NFL games are free on network TV, and networks get huge ratings. Cable success is still lower numbers than network failure. Hockey also has lacked appeal to a ton of demographics that the NFL has so far appealed to. We also got a ton of games, so individually they lack importance (the Winter Classic axiom)

They want to put hockey on tv, so we can only really compete with ourselves.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
People may put their games on TV but nobody I've seen actually gives a crap about the Bucs any more. The Lightning are way more popular as a practical concern.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I let him have it. The rest of Tampa can kiss his ass and say "I still love my team!" I won't. Seriously, f*** this this guy. The Bucs have ruined enough this year and now he's trying to shit on the Lightning's viewership success on their behalf.

Last edited:
Reactions: berlin and Hoek

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
I let him have it. The rest of Tampa can kiss his ass and say "I still love my team!" I won't. Seriously, **** this this guy. The Bucs have ruined enough this year and now he's trying to **** on the Lightning's viewership success on their behalf.
Good for you, I thought it was a stupid uneccessary comment.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
People may put their games on TV but nobody I've seen actually gives a crap about the Bucs any more. The Lightning are way more popular as a practical concern.

The fanship for the Bolts is relatively new though. As someone who has been going to games since the first playoff game in the Thunderdome I can tell you there's a lack of long term fanship for the Lightning. I'd say more than half the people going to games now-a-days have no idea about the old school (which isn't that old). I have a good buddy who couldn't name half of the Cup roster and guys beyond that like Hamrlik, Gratton, and Puppa? Forget it.

I've lived in the Tampa Bay area more than NY now at this point, but it's painful how much of a bandwagon town this is. When the Bucs were going to the Super Bowl there were billboards on Dale Mabry advertising the season ticket waiting list seasons after. The Bucs get bad, everyone forgets about them.

I get that people like a winning team. That's what a fan wants to see. Winning teams are what get fans into a team in the first place, but it's a shame that people are ready to jump ship after a few bad years. There are frustrations with teams and ownership and I get that. I just hate the idea of giving up on a losing team. If I hated the Lightning when they got bad I wouldn't have had the opportunity to go to game 7 of the Cup Finals and see the greatest sporting event of my life.

I appreciate all the new Lightning fans, but it kind of sucks to sit around people for all these years that only like the idea of a winning team and very few have been here for the long haul. The seasons after the winning stops a precipitous drop off in attendance will be seen and it sucks.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The fanship for the Bolts is relatively new though. As someone who has been going to games since the first playoff game in the Thunderdome I can tell you there's a lack of long term fanship for the Lightning. I'd say more than half the people going to games now-a-days have no idea about the old school (which isn't that old). I have a good buddy who couldn't name half of the Cup roster and guys beyond that like Hamrlik, Gratton, and Puppa? Forget it.

I've lived in the Tampa Bay area more than NY now at this point, but it's painful how much of a bandwagon town this is. When the Bucs were going to the Super Bowl there were billboards on Dale Mabry advertising the season ticket waiting list seasons after. The Bucs get bad, everyone forgets about them.

I get that people like a winning team. That's what a fan wants to see. Winning teams are what get fans into a team in the first place, but it's a shame that people are ready to jump ship after a few bad years. There are frustrations with teams and ownership and I get that. I just hate the idea of giving up on a losing team. If I hated the Lightning when they got bad I wouldn't have had the opportunity to go to game 7 of the Cup Finals and see the greatest sporting event of my life.

I appreciate all the new Lightning fans, but it kind of sucks to sit around people for all these years that only like the idea of a winning team and very few have been here for the long haul. The seasons after the winning stops a precipitous drop off in attendance will be seen and it sucks.
I always hear sports industry people talk about how they want their team to reach a point where they don't need to win to fill the building. Unsurprisingly, their teams aren't winning. You don't need to win all the time (technically), but you do seem to need some sort of glory years. A winning 'tradition' to get the generational fan off to a start. If the Lightning can win for long enough, we can withstand the fair weather fan.

The 'mystique' is always the missing element from industry people, especially in the minor leagues. Like they'll develop a Chicago Cubs fanbase by never coming close to winning anything in a AA league. The Cubs did win a long, long, time ago.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I always hear sports industry people talk about how they want their team to reach a point where they don't need to win to fill the building. Unsurprisingly, their teams aren't winning. You don't need to win all the time (technically), but you do seem to need some sort of glory years. A winning 'tradition' to get the generational fan off to a start. If the Lightning can win for long enough, we can withstand the fair weather fan.

The 'mystique' is always the missing element from industry people, especially in the minor leagues. Like they'll develop a Chicago Cubs fanbase by never coming close to winning anything in a AA league. The Cubs did win a long, long, time ago.

Excellent post.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

The problem is that our teams have not won consistently for any period of time. All we know is "OH NO WE SUCK AGAIN!" and hopping on the hottest thing

1976 through 1992 we have the loser Bucs

Lightning have a great expansion year and shatter attendance records and no one extra cares about the Bucs

1997 comes along

HOLY SHIT THE BUCS ARE GREAT!!!! Lightning support plummets because they stink

1998 comes along

New baseball team we've always wanted, fans enjoy a brief honeymoon and the once darling hockey team is forgotten about and the Bucs brag about waiting lists for seasons tickets

1999-2001

You know what? This baseball team and hockey team suck.... support the Bucs! HOLY SHIT WE WON THE SUPER BOWL!

The Bucs are falling off man... HOLY SHIT THE LIGHTNING THOUGH! WE JUST WON THE CUP!

2004-2008

Woooo! Lightning! Meh Bucs. Rays suck lol!

HOLY f*** WE'RE IN THE WORLD SERIES!!! Support for the Bucs plummets and has yet to return, Rays skyrocket to the most popular team in Tampa Bay despite lack of attendance figures. Lightning wallow in mediocrity until 2012 and the figures show it too

You guys know the rest...

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

In the coming months, The Identity will expand to become an over-the-top streaming service, similar to apps like Netflix and Hulu (OTT refers to video content delivered via high-speed internet connection). The Identity will be "sports-centric in nature" and also "mix in a blend of local entertainment and lifestyle content," according to a news release.

It will be supported by advertising and not require a subscription; its first phase will last six months, said Bill Abercrombie, who oversees business development for TBEP.

so basically old Hulu. Ads with no subscription.

I'm thinking that with Spectrum dropping the Brighthouse high school sports angle, that's where they'll pick up. (and no, I don't think they'll have Lightning games)

I would recommend them figuring out how to get TB Juniors/USPHL games onto there, in addition to high school hockey. Junior hockey really is the development standard for our sport.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I've been thinking about The Identity a bit more. I get that sports is supposed to be the backbone, but "entertainment and lifestyle content" is where I'm not sure. It's much harder to make it on YouTube now since the Adpocalypse.

Google even made it so you needed 1,000 subs and 4,000 hrs of watch time in the past 12 months before you can make money from them. There is a spot where beneath that class of YouTuber could be enticed to make shows for The Identity's walled garden of content, and make money that way.

Animated shorts don't pay anymore on YouTube because of the algorithm and emphasis on minutes watched, which could be addressed.

If they really want to make those smackaroons, get into kids programming. The whole Spiderman and Elsa controversy brought light parents leaving YouTube on auto-play for their kids during the day.

edit: video on YouTube independent animation (not embedded for language and content)

note that if TID takes any popular Let's Players away from their channels to work on animation, they'll feel the fans wrath.

Ross O'Donovan (RubberNinja) from the above videos has already stepped aside from Game Grumps to work full-time on a series pilot, Gameoverse, which TID could take a look at picking up (he's in LA, although I'm not hung up on locality), and it would guarantee a fanbase to the site.

The Brothers Chaps (Homestar Runner) have a general development deal with Disney, but they're doing animated shorts. Getting them would be huge.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's occurred to me watching college puck on NESN that it's basically what The ID wants to be.

A NESN Clubhouse type show for the Lightning and Bug? Partially satisfies kids programming and I don't think it would cost too much to produce.

edit: relevant research-
Regional sports network - Wikipedia

H3 podcast discussion about kid YouTube

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->