Competitive windows

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Last year Winnipeg, Kamloops and Seattle were the clear favourites to win the league while Edmonton, Spokane and Victoria were clear bottom-feeders. This year, I don't really have an overview. Can anyone help with where teams are in their competitive cycle?

Would love if we could get a list of all teams going with their current status: Rebuilding/improving/declining/contending

If possible, I'd love to get a competitive window too, i. e. what will be the years the team could hope to contend for a championship?

Please respond with all the teams you're comfortable projecting!

WESTERN CONFERENCE

BC Division

Kamloops Blazers: Contending
Kelowna Rockets: Improving
Prince George Cougars: Contending
Vancouver Giants: Improving
Victoria Royals: Rebuilding (poorly)

US Division
Everett Silvertips: Improving
Portland Winterhawks: Contending
Seattle Thunderbirds: Declining
Spokane Chiefs: Rebuilding
Tri-City Americans: Improving
Wenatchee Wild: Declining

EASTERN CONFERENCE

East Division

Brandon Wheat Kings: Rebuilding
Moose Jaw Warriors: Neutral
Prince Albert Raiders: Rebuilding
Regina Pats: Declining
Saskatoon Blades: Neutral

Central Division
Calgary Hitmen: Declining
Edmonton Oil Kings: Rebuilding
Lethbridge Hurricanes: Neutral
Medicine Hat Tigers: Improving
Red Deer Rebels: Contending
Swift Current Broncos: Neutral

Last edited:

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Victoria is nearing the end of their re-build, with this season being hopefully the last non-playoff year in a while. They picked Cole Reschny 3OA in 2022, and he will be Victoria's player to watch this year, having first-round NHL draft potential (2025 NHL draft). Regardless of his season, it's unlikely Victoria is an above average team. Kalem Parker and Justin Kipke are the only two NHL drafted players, on an otherwise unremarkable roster.

Victoria selected Keaton Verhoeff 4OA in the 2023 draft, and he, along with Reschny, and their 1st round pick in 2024 (hopefully Landon DuPont) will form the core of the Royals roster as they transition from lottery team to contenders.

I would have the Royals contention window beginning with the 2024-25 season, through the 2025-26 season. After that, Reschny will likely be gone, and unless they hit on another F pick, it'll be tough for Victoria, even with Verhoeff and their 2024 1st.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
BC division teams ranked in my opinion for this season and a year when I think they could be a threat:

1. PG - This year
2. Kamloops - This year
3. Kelowna - Next year
4. Vancouver - 2025-2026
5. Victoria - Agree with above post

Overall thoughts:
That PG team will be tons of fun to watch and will be a serious threat to win the WHL championship. Blazers I still think will have enough fire power to be a playoff threat and scare teams. Kelowna have some nice pieces but I have questions about the depth, and if they won’t think about flipping some guys for picks. At the same time they have a strong 2005 and 2006 crop and I believe they have enough skill to finish above the giants. Vancouver I’ve already made my opinion known but this team is a disaster waiting to happen, I believe they will score more than last year but by how much is the real question. It really hinges on if they can find upgrades at 1RW, and defensive depth. Victoria will likely struggle for one more year but than should turn a corner the following season when other teams like Kamloops takes a step back

Reactions: pgfan66

mrshootthepuck

Jun 30, 2023
WESTERN CONFERENCE

BC Division

Kamloops Blazers: Contending
Kelowna Rockets: Improving
Prince George Cougars: Contending
Vancouver Giants: Improving
Victoria Royals: Rebuilding (poorly)

US Division
Everett Silvertips: Improving
Portland Winterhawks: Contending
Seattle Thunderbirds: Declining
Spokane Chiefs: Rebuilding
Tri-City Americans: Improving
Wenatchee Wild: Declining

EASTERN CONFERENCE

East Division

Brandon Wheat Kings: Rebuilding
Moose Jaw Warriors: Neutral
Prince Albert Raiders: Rebuilding
Regina Pats: Declining
Saskatoon Blades: Neutral

Central Division
Calgary Hitmen: Declining
Edmonton Oil Kings: Rebuilding
Lethbridge Hurricanes: Neutral
Medicine Hat Tigers: Improving
Red Deer Rebels: Contending
Swift Current Broncos: Neutral

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate it!

Added @mrshootthepuck’s to the OP for a better overview.

I’m excited to see how good PG can really be. We’ve had enough bad years with very limited talent. Would be great to actually compete for a division championship (or more). The Giants should also be fun with a returning Honzek at centre.

Spokane is an interesting team because I’d agree they’re still rebuilding and there’s a chance they don’t improve all that much compared to last season as things stand right now. However, they could easily make the playoffs if they trade a handful of the draft picks they’ve accumulated for veteran help and could be contenders next season.

Reactions: mrshootthepuck

mrshootthepuck

Jun 30, 2023
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate it!

Added @mrshootthepuck’s to the OP for a better overview.

I’m excited to see how good PG can really be. We’ve had enough bad years with very limited talent. Would be great to actually compete for a division championship (or more). The Giants should also be fun with a returning Honzek at centre.

Spokane is an interesting team because I’d agree they’re still rebuilding and there’s a chance they don’t improve all that much compared to last season as things stand right now. However, they could easily make the playoffs if they trade a handful of the draft picks they’ve accumulated for veteran help and could be contenders next season.

PG Might have the best tandem in the CHL this year. Samson as a 20yr old is gonna shine.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Medicine Hat could be very, very good. McKenna, Basha, and Lindstrom is going to be a very strong F group, and if the Ruck twins pan out, they could end up with one of the most talented F groups in the CHL from 2024 to 2026.

@mrshootthepuck
I wouldn't necessarily say that Victoria is rebuilding poorly, at least, not anymore. They had a disastrous 2021 draft after trading away what ended up being the 3OA pick, and the player they took in the 2nd round just got traded to KEL for a future 2nd. The 2021 draft is where most of the new players for this year's team should be coming from, but it was bad, so the team isn't getting the help it needs this year. The only saving grace from the 2021 draft is Deegan Kinniburgh. That being said, the early returns on both the 2022 draft and the 2023 draft are promising. If they can trade Gannon Laroque for a 1st, which seems plausible, then they could have a big draft this year to really move their re-build forward.

Last edited:

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Medicine Hat is going to a problem for years. That team is incredibly deep. They need a top-flight goaltender and then look out.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Seattle - Declining I think?, I can see full blown rebuilding as we have several NHL guys that can be moved for picks. It's a strange team, our Defense and Goal tending would be our strengty. Our First line could rival most 1st lines. But Gus is hurt. We don't have Offensive depth though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad