Competitive leagues for a 24 year old

rockof

Mar 30, 2022
I played hockey growing up from 12-16 then fell into addiction. This last year while living clean I've been starting to play again. In the last year I've split two pucks in half and taken a good 1/2 inch and inch out of two others. I'm 6'6 and 220 pounds. I am a confident/fast skater. Does anyone know any competitive leagues in the lower mainland of BC/how I would go about getting a tryout.

IMG_4814.jpeg

IMG_4815.jpeg

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Really depends on you’re wants…splitting a puck however you did it is impressive but most “rec” leagues don’t allow slap shots, even the competitive “rec” leagues.

If you want hitting, physical look for a Senior league. Not sure what BC has to offer but most provinces have them.

If not a competitive rec league is always fun.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Really depends on you’re wants…splitting a puck however you did it is impressive but most “rec” leagues don’t allow slap shots, even the competitive “rec” leagues.

If you want hitting, physical look for a Senior league. Not sure what BC has to offer but most provinces have them.

Every men's league I have ever played in the states allows slapshots. I have played A/B/C levels for over 15 years in beer league and never heard of that rule. Is that a Canadian thing?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Every men's league I have ever played in the states allows slapshots. I have played A/B/C levels for over 15 years in beer league and never heard of that rule. Is that a Canadian thing?

Definitely not a Canadian thing. The only league I've ever played with no slapshots was a for-fun co-ed league where games could have players on the ice with varied experience from complete beginners to lifers.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I mean in my league which has a ton of extra rules (no hitting, no head contact) still allows slap shots. If you're in a lower division there's a "fair play" rule that might come into effect if someone has a just booming slap shot, but that's more discretional, not a total ban.

For the OP @rockof definitely look into Senior hockey. It's very high level, even with some former NHLers in it. Playing for the Allen Cup is the ultimate prize. But that's far from my speed so I don't know a lot. It's called Senior hockey to differentiate it from Junior hockey - players are in their 20s and 30s.

And if that's too competitive the various rec leagues have very widely levels of skill and quality - I'm sure you can find a high skill league and not have to play with middle-aged duffers like me.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I mean in my league which has a ton of extra rules (no hitting, no head contact) still allows slap shots. If you're in a lower division there's a "fair play" rule that might come into effect if someone has a just booming slap shot, but that's more discretional, not a total ban.

For the OP @rockof definitely look into Senior hockey. It's very high level, even with some former NHLers in it. Playing for the Allen Cup is the ultimate prize. But that's far from my speed so I don't know a lot. It's called Senior hockey to differentiate it from Junior hockey - players are in their 20s and 30s.

And if that's too competitive the various rec leagues have very widely levels of skill and quality - I'm sure you can find a high skill league and not have to play with middle-aged duffers like me.
I always enjoying playing with the more skilled guys 30 and over. They usually have more skill and knowledge, but they don't lose their cool as quick. I'm 34 and have definitely lost some steps from my late teens to mid twenties. Some of the younger players get mad when I beat them in a foot race and put muscle them to pucks. Most of the better older players just turn around and keep playing . It is what I do if someone steals the puck or beats to it cleanly.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

No slap shots? I've literally never heard of that in an adult league.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I've seen rules for D and C leagues that any shots over the crossbar are blown dead. I'm guessing this is because (some) newbie like players can really lose control of their shots and the league wants to discourage headhunting shots.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

What? Even lowest Co-Ed division in NCHL which is fed from Discover Hockey (adult learn to play programs) allow slapshots. I’ve never heard of such a thing

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

striker3

Mar 26, 2019
I think most of the “no slapshot” thing mentioned above stems from the most of us work tomorrow mentality and taking a clapper to the face off a tipped puck ruins that, especially in non-competitive leagues. Even where I’m from, competitively there’s an awareness on time and place for most guys, but slap shots are definitely allowed.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think most of the “no slapshot” thing mentioned above stems from the most of us work tomorrow mentality and taking a clapper to the face off a tipped puck ruins that, especially in non-competitive leagues. Even where I’m from, competitively there’s an awareness on time and place for most guys, but slap shots are definitely allowed.
Isnt that why people should be wearing full cages? I literally laugh at people who are playing men leagues without a full cage who have to go to work the next morning. Who are you trying to impress out there with your half shield? They always seem to learn the hard way at some point..

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
In some leagues I play in slapshots are honestly the most common shots lmao, some of them are pretty rough though and there's definitely a macho thing where they want to hear that Big Bang when their clapper hits the boards 😂 But really how often does a slapshot injure someone? It's very unlikely, ESPECIALLY if we're talking a low level beer league. Lots of people at that level probably have a harder wrist shot or snapper than slapshot as slapshots are the hardest shot to take and require the best weight transfer, balance, etc.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
What? Even lowest Co-Ed division in NCHL which is fed from Discover Hockey (adult learn to play programs) allow slapshots. I’ve never heard of such a thing
I played QMJHL, MJHL and went on to play senior etc....every rec league I've ever played in does not allow slapshots. Even ones with WHL, MJHL, AAA players. Part of it being guys don't want to get hurt standing in front of a net when they play in a league that is mostly there for fun and to get a sweat on, the other part is it lowers insurance premiums for the league. Less chance at injury....insurance is cheaper.

Doesn't really matter other than the OP snapped two pucks shooting them, so he should find a league that allows whatever shot he did that with (presumably a slap shot).

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I played QMJHL, MJHL and went on to play senior etc....every rec league I've ever played in does not allow slapshots. Even ones with WHL, MJHL, AAA players. Part of it being guys don't want to get hurt standing in front of a net when they play in a league that is mostly there for fun and to get a sweat on, the other part is it lowers insurance premiums for the league. Less chance at injury....insurance is cheaper.

Doesn't really matter other than the OP snapped two pucks shooting them, so he should find a league that allows whatever shot he did that with (presumably a slap shot).
Where do you play at? That is new to me from the States in Florida. All the leagues allow clappers. You played higher levels than me , so I assume you still play at a high level. I played AA Travel that is it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
How competitive are you talking?

I'm from the States, not Canada but here in the US, your Top Men's League division is usually good competition with guys in their 20's and 30's who played growing up including Juniors and College.

Then they have "professional" leagues like SPHL and FPHL which are a step down from a league like the ECHL

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Where do you play at? That is new to me from the States in Florida. All the leagues allow clappers. You played higher levels than me , so I assume you still play at a high level. I played AA Travel that is it.
There's a lot of rec leagues that don't allow slap shots in Canada and I'm sure there is in America too. I doubt that Florida has rec hockey leagues to the extant Canada, Northeastern USA and Minnesota do. There's definitely leagues that allow them though too. The league I always and still occasionally play in has flipped back and forth a couple times.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
There's a lot of rec leagues that don't allow slap shots in Canada and I'm sure there is in America too. I doubt that Florida has rec hockey leagues to the extant Canada, Northeastern USA and Minnesota do. There's definitely leagues that allow them though too. The league I always and still occasionally play in has flipped back and forth a couple times.

Another American here who's never heard of that....

Reactions: EdJovanovski

rockof

Mar 30, 2022

I snapped one with a slap shot and one with a wrist shot and damaged the other two also with my wrist shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad