compensatory picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
The league uses a formula based upon the performance and contract signed by the lost Group III player. It assigns a numerical value for each player lost and each player gained based on this formula. If a team losses more value than gained, comp picks are awarded. If it gains more than it lost or breaks even, no comp picks are awarded. Consequently, because playoff performance (winning the Stanley Cup) and winning of league awards are part of the formula, comp picks are not awarded until the playoffs are complete.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
DeathFromAbove said:
The league uses a formula based upon the performance and contract signed by the lost Group III player. It assigns a numerical value for each player lost and each player gained based on this formula. If a team losses more value than gained, comp picks are awarded. If it gains more than it lost or breaks even, no comp picks are awarded. Consequently, because playoff performance (winning the Stanley Cup) and winning of league awards are part of the formula, comp picks are not awarded until the playoffs are complete.
Excellent summary. Although as far as I can tell it's probably 90% salary and just a little performance.

Anyway, as for the original question, I think the complete draft order was released only a couple days before the draft last year.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
Here's the exact calculation:

"All CFAs and other League players on rosters at the
conclusion of a regular season shall be ranked in ascending order
by their "average annual compensation," which shall be determined
by dividing a player's Compensation (for all contract years) by
the number of contract years. (Thus, the player with the lowest
average annual Compensation shall be ranked first, etc.) Each
player shall receive 1/100th of a point per dollar of his
"average annual compensation." Rankings and calculations for
CFAs shall be based on the CFA's new contract and shall be
determined as of the first day of the regular season.

At the end of each year, the League shall assign to all
such players additional points based on honors in the prior three
Seasons, as follows:

(1) Twenty (20) points for being selected First Team
NHL All-Star by the PHWA.

(2) Ten (10) points for being selected Second Team NHL
All-Star by the PHWA, [or for being awarded by the Lady Byng or
Masterton Trophies.]

(3) Thirty (30) points for being awarded the Hart,
Norris, Ross, Vezina, Selke, or Conn Smythe Trophies.

(4) Ten (10) points for being selected Captain.

(5) Twenty (20) points for winning the Stanley Cup.

(6) Twenty (20) points if the player is 32 on June 30;
fifteen (15) points if the player is 33 on June 30; ten (10)
points if the player is 34 on June 30."

SwOOsh*

bigeasy said:
when will they annouce what the compensatory picks are going to be?

what will the caps get for calle johannson?

The Caps will be receiving a 2nd round pick for Johansson. Now before everyone disagrees, please listen.

It must have been one of the agreements for the Capitals allowing the Leafs to sign Johansson (Johansson was under contract with Washington as a scout) which was that he signed quite a large contract (which really doesn't effect the Leafs as he only played in a few regular season games) at 4.6 million.

If you don't believe me please check www.nhlpa.com , also this information was told to Caps fans by a very highly respected member (Battleship).

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
SwOOsh said:
The Caps will be receiving a 2nd round pick for Johansson. Now before everyone disagrees, please listen.

It must have been one of the agreements for the Capitals allowing the Leafs to sign Johansson (Johansson was under contract with Washington as a scout) which was that he signed quite a large contract (which really doesn't effect the Leafs as he only played in a few regular season games) at 4.6 million.

If you don't believe me please check www.nhlpa.com , also this information was told to Caps fans by a very highly respected member (Battleship).
that wouldnt be a compensatory pick though, as far as i can tell, that would be a conditional pick from toronto themselves

thestonedkoala

You think the Wild might squeeze out a comp pick from not signing Ronning or Sekeras?

I don't think we'll get one since we signed Daigle and Choiunard but Sekeras? The Wild signed no one on the backend.

SwOOsh*

RDriesen said:
that wouldnt be a compensatory pick though, as far as i can tell, that would be a conditional pick from toronto themselves

No, it's a conpensatory pick from the NHL as he was signed as a UFA, and due to his salary being of a relatively high number it will most likely be a 2nd round pick.

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
SwOOsh said:
No, it's a conpensatory pick from the NHL as he was signed as a UFA, and due to his salary being of a relatively high number it will most likely be a 2nd round pick.
ok, i understand that, but you said "agreement". if it was an agreement between toronto and washington, then its a conditional pick from toronto. if you meant, the caps "know" they will get a high pick if they let him sign elsewhere, then ok, its a compensatory pick

Canadien16

Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
With compensatory picks, does that mean there will be more picks in the second round then every other round? Someone please explain

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
DAL should get a mid second for Hatcher (I don't think they signed any other UFA of substance, did they? Or is their payroll too high anyways)

EDM will be just behind with the Leetch comp pick, which I believe has already been traded to the Rangers?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
speeds said:
DAL should get a mid second for Hatcher (I don't think they signed any other UFA of substance, did they? Or is their payroll too high anyways)

EDM will be just behind with the Leetch comp pick, which I believe has already been traded to the Rangers?

Both Edmonton and Dallas have traded their second round compensatory picks which will be allocated for losing Brian Leetch and Darien Hatcher in free agency.

Edmonton sent the pick to the Rangers in the Petr Nedved deal.

Dallas sent the pick to the Panthers in the Valeri Bure deal.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
San Jose will also receive a compensatory pick(probably early to mid third round pick)for losing Mark Messier in free agency.

The Sharks will send the Rangers a draft pick(don't know which round)to complete the Messier trade.

SwOOsh*

RDriesen said:
ok, i understand that, but you said "agreement". if it was an agreement between toronto and washington, then its a conditional pick from toronto. if you meant, the caps "know" they will get a high pick if they let him sign elsewhere, then ok, its a compensatory pick

It's compensatory because the Caps made an agreement with Toronto so that if they wanted to sign Johansson that they would have to sign him to a hefty salary so the Caps would get a good compensation pick. This pick is not from Toronto but instead the league.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Canadien16 said:
With compensatory picks, does that mean there will be more picks in the second round then every other round? Someone please explain

there will be extra picks in whatever round those comp picks are awards (not all will be in the 2nd round)...this is why in a 30 team, 9 round draft there are around 290 picks and not 270

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
NYR469 said:
there will be extra picks in whatever round those comp picks are awards (not all will be in the 2nd round)...this is why in a 30 team, 9 round draft there are around 290 picks and not 270

Let me just build on this to answer the other poster's question.

The league has a scale on which it awards picks. After all the points are tallied up, every player receiving points is reordered from most point to least points. If a team lost a player in the top 5% of that list, they get a middle 2nd round pick. If they lost a player in the 5-10% of the list, they get a bottom 2nd round pick. If they lost a player in the 10-15%, they get a 3rd round pick and so on down the list so that there are picks awarded roughly in every round except the first. Note - the % I used above are just rough estimates to illustrate the scale.

But remember everyone, just because you lost someone does not mean you'll get a pick. You ONLY get a pick if you lost MORE than you gained. If you lost a Group III, but signed a Group III of equal or greater value, you get nothing.

Last edited:

Canadien16

Mar 27, 2003
Visit site
DeathFromAbove said:
Let me just build on this to answer the other poster's question.

The league has a scale on which it awards picks. After all the points are tallied up, every player receiving points is reordered from most point to least points. If a team lost a player in the top 5% of that list, they get a middle 2nd round pick. If they lost a player in the 5-10% of the list, they get a bottom 2nd round pick. If they lost a player in the 10-15%, they get a 3rd round pick and so on down the list so that there are picks awarded roughly in every round except the first. Note - the % I used above are just rough estimates to illustrate the scale.

But remember everyone, just because you lost someone does not mean you'll get a pick. You ONLY get a pick if you lost MORE than you gained. If you lost a Group III, but signed a Group II of equal or greater value, you get nothing.

Interesting, and thank you. Last question, when is it all finalized and released?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Sir Ozzie X said:
Will the Jackets get anything for Whitney? Does signing Marchant cancel that out?

I believe it does, since effectively they replaced a Group III with a Group III. There's also limitations if the team's payroll is in the top so many...which is why Messier was traded to the Sharks, Richter was traded to Nashville a few years back, and so on and so on. Otherwise the team holding the soon-to-be UFA would get nothing if the player signed elsewhere. This way the team gets something, if they then re-sign the player the 2nd team gets something more.

It's draft pick-padding...but the league hasn't stepped in to put a halt to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad