Comparisons

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
King Henry I said:
I like these two comparisons an awful lot. Amazingly, Backstrom will probably be an even better goal scorer than Gomez with comparable playmaking ability.

He may be my favorite player in the draft.
Yeah I like Backstrom alot too. The best thing that I like about him is that he seems to excel in every situation. PP, SH, 5 on 5, wing, center ect. In that sense he reminds me of Zetterberg and he should just boost up every area of any team taking him.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
#66 said:
I'll give it a go with these comparisons:

Kessel - Samsonov (more of a shooter and faster but a lesser stickhandler and a little less sense)
Toews - Linden (with Brad Richards sense and vision)
Little - Briere or Marc Savard (not the biggest or fastest player but lots of sense and scappy)
Johnson - Pronger (but with Hartford, loads of ability that needs to be developed)
Backstrom - Gomez (tons of sense all over the ice, IMO the most NHL ready)
Okposo - Haven't seen enough of him
Staal - Jeff Carter (but with more sense and better hands, not the shot though at least yet, still could be a Handzus type even if his offense doesn't come around)

IMO there isn't a clear cut better player out of these names. Some are still very good players while being raw though and that untapped upside might make for a clearer best player coming out of this draft.

I like the Toews Linden comparision. Linden was a first liner in his prime days, and could play every position, was one of the better leaders, and overall players IMO. Had he not gone through all the controvery IMO he would have been at the 1,000 point club already.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
superroyain10 said:
Okposo - Iginla: woa, I don't know. Tough powerforward who is a great leader and clutch in the playoffs, sans this year? What makes Iginla so lethal is his work ethic, character, and willingness to buy into a team system; areas Okposo is relatively deficient in. Iginla also can take over a game, a trait Okposo seems to lake.

So, you think that Okposo is deficient in his work ethic and character?

Are you even thinking of the same player? Okposo is one of THE hardest working players in the draft.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
I always have a laugh when I come across these threads and find someone saying, "X's playing style is like Y's, only more physical, and less defensively aware." As if those are just minor throwaway details. If the comparison doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Watching the Devils a few nights ago, I had a sense that Toews compares to Elias. Not the fastest skater, but gets to the right spot, always makes the right play.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Russian_fanatic said:
IMo Okposo is more like a Shane Doan/Adam Deadmarsh.

I was about to say Doan also... similar upside also... not Iginla - he's one of the best players in the NHL and much more ceomplete than Okposo.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Came up with:

Michael Grabner=Maxim Afinogenov
David Fischer=Marc Staal
Niclas Andersen=Anton Volchenkov
Michael Ratchuk=Lubo Visnovsky
Matt Corrente=Dan Hamhuis
Chris Summers=Denis Gauthier
Brian Strait=Barret Jackman

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Balej's Dance said:
Came up with:

Michael Grabner=Maxim Afinogenov
David Fischer=Marc Staal
Niclas Andersen=Anton Volchenkov
Michael Ratchuk=Lubo Visnovsky
Matt Corrente=Dan Hamhuis
Chris Summers=Denis Gauthier
Brian Strait=Barret Jackman

are those playing styles or styles and potential?

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
unsealed container said:
I've heard some of these comparision to NHL players for 2006 draftees...

Kessel - Modano
Toews - Gilmour
Little - Richards
Johnson - Pronger
Backstrom - Forsberg
Okposo - Iginla
Staal - His brother

Any truth to any of these...

If thats true, Backstrom should be going first overall! :dunno:

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Vincent_TheGreat said:
If thats true, Backstrom should be going first overall! :dunno:
Don't forget that Forsberg wasn't taken first overall. But he'll be chosen Top 5 for sure, unless there is some problem the day of the draft or something (Kopitar)

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
zetterberg40 said:
anymore... i wouldnt mind seeing some frolik ones myself, or some later first round comparisons.. come on you prospect studs ;)
Frolik could be Patrik Elias-type player. Future first-line player, possible All-Star, who is solid defensively.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
orcatown said:
Just in terms of style

Toews - Yzerman
Little - Recchi
Staal - Holik
Johnson - Brewer
Backstorm - Biere/Cammerleri
Okposo - Getzlaf
Kessel-Comrie

Kessel-Comrie now thats a insult, Kessel will be WAY better then Comrie. The Kessel Bashing continues, what will people say when this guy burns ur teams with speed and his shot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
#66 said:
Little - Briere or Marc Savard (not the biggest or fastest player but lots of sense and scappy)

Much of what I've read about Little says that he is a very good defensive player (Briere is not) and a very hard worker (Savard is not). Perhaps Langkow is a better comparison? Or maybe Langkow with a better shot and a little less nastiness?

I've never seen Little play, BTW.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
knight44 said:
Kessel-Comrie now thats a insult, Kessel will be WAY better then Comrie. The Kessel Bashing continues, what will people say when this guy burns ur teams with speed and his shot.

He was simply comparing the playing styles (small, speedy, good shot), but I think Kessel lacks the playmaking ability Comrie does and Comrie lacks the pure, explosive offensive talent that Kessel does.

zetterberg40 said:
anyone wanna give some comparisons for goalies? Helenius, Bernier, ect...?

From what I've heard of Helenius, he reminds me of J.S. Giguere. Not particularly athletic, doesn't make the crazy diving saves, but always makes the first save and has exceptional positioning and rebound control.

Bernier plays the typical Quebec butterfly style reminiscent of Patrick Roy. Has great fundamentals but isn't the best at taking away top corners (goes down a lot). Plays the percentage game, basically just gets into the position where the puck has the best chance of hitting him.

In short:
Helenius - J.S. Giguere
Bernier - Patrick Roy

Once again, playing styles folks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
sbtatter said:
Ryan White = Patrick Elias and Thomas Steen

:confused:

White is a somewhat less skilled version of Scott Hartnell. All kinds of intangibles and a bit of playmaking ability, but I'd be shocked if he ever scored more than 40-45 points in a season. He'll be a hell of a 3rd-liner who you'd love to have on your team in the playoffs, but there's just no way he has that sort of upside.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
rt said:
Much of what I've read about Little says that he is a very good defensive player (Briere is not) and a very hard worker (Savard is not). Perhaps Langkow is a better comparison? Or maybe Langkow with a better shot and a little less nastiness?

I've never seen Little play, BTW.

Little has much better puck skills than Langkow. Come on...

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
superroyain10 said:
Little - Richards:I don't know if Little could be as game-breaking as Richards. Richards really carried his team during the 2005 playoffs;

Ya Little... that lazy bahstad only got 23pts in 14gms in the playoffs. He needed to clean up his sloppy +7rating too.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I'm going to flip this abit and say the style that two guys remind me of --except that they are two guys who didn't really pan out.

Little--Tkachuk (Daniel)
Mueller-Stumpel
Staal--W. Primeau

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
knight44 said:

You seem to have forgotten, this is not a what potential do they have, its what players style do they remind you of...

Helmethead

Jun 2, 2002
Port Cockerton
Visit site
Rabid Husky said:
You seem to have forgotten, this is not a what potential do they have, its what players style do they remind you of...
i really don't understand how come little is so underrated around here. brian little = joe sakic.style and potential. he has the same smarts and leadership and he has that lazer beam shot. i really feel he will be one of the top players in the draft.top 10 pick for sure.BTW he's around the same size as sakic too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad