OT: Commerical aviation?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Another random thought and question from me...

Is anyone here involved/employed/close to commercial aviation? Not flying a Cessna, rather the big Boeing and Airbus jumbos?

I'm endlessly fascinated by flying and planes,, and I don't know why. I suspect much of it has to do with being the owner of a 7 year old as he has tons of questions. Landing gear, flaps and slats, take off speed, how a plane flies etc.

I don't think I'm comfortable with allowing him to watch that show, "How Planes Crash", although I love it.

United 232 is an amazing success story, although the video of the fireball crash is very well known. Google it if you dare...

Then I came across this video -- which really shows how planes and physics work. Plane looking to get airborne just from 70+mph wind (having no engines of course was key)

Anyway -- was hoping to find some website/online resources on similar stuff if anyone knows..

Thanks all.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Another random thought and question from me...

Is anyone here involved/employed/close to commercial aviation? Not flying a Cessna, rather the big Boeing and Airbus jumbos?

I'm endlessly fascinated by flying and planes,, and I don't know why. I suspect much of it has to do with being the owner of a 7 year old as he has tons of questions. Landing gear, flaps and slats, take off speed, how a plane flies etc.

I don't think I'm comfortable with allowing him to watch that show, "How Planes Crash", although I love it.

United 232 is an amazing success story, although the video of the fireball crash is very well known. Google it if you dare...

Then I came across this video -- which really shows how planes and physics work. Plane looking to get airborne just from 70+mph wind (having no engines of course was key)

Anyway -- was hoping to find some website/online resources on similar stuff if anyone knows..

Thanks all.

Thanks for sharing. that's pretty wild. I've also have been an aficionado of airlines, airplanes and just about everything jet age.

One thing you might want to look into are landings at the old Hong Kong "Kai Tak" airport. It's approach would require some old school flying techniques to account for buildings, crosswinds etc. There are some crosswinds requiring extreme corrections at the last second.

Mostly, I like the livery designs and history of airlines. I'm also a big fan of the tri-jets... Boeing B-727 and the Lockheed's L-1011. One web site I used to like navigating in an attempt to find pictures of airports and planes I have been on is: "airliners.net"

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Thanks for sharing. that's pretty wild. I've also have been an aficionado of airlines, airplanes and just about everything jet age.

One thing you might want to look into are landings at the old Hong Kong "Kai Tak" airport. It's approach would require some old school flying techniques to account for buildings, crosswinds etc. There are some crosswinds requiring extreme corrections at the last second.

Mostly, I like the livery designs and history of airlines. I'm also a big fan of the tri-jets... Boeing B-727 and the Lockheed's L-1011. One web site I used to like navigating in an attempt to find pictures of airports and planes I have been on is: "airliners.net"

Thanks -- Ill give that a look.

I remember flying Delta's L1011 down to Florida as a kid. 3/5/3 configuration ---big ass plane with a community movie screen in the middle if I remember correctly.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Sorry, I thought we were pooling our money to buy tickets to Timbuktu for the coaches and management.
As you were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad