Post-Game Talk: Combo breaker! Jets 2, Flames 1

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Damn, Hutch sounds like a sourpuss. I don’t see how the Jets were wrong in sending him down. The rest of the NHL must have felt the same way as the Jets as no team picked him up on waivers.

Great, he fought hard this year and now should have a chance to prove himself at the NHL level again. I hope he succeeds with that chance. That said, he needs to drop his vendetta and take ownership of his performance last year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't mind teams that play hard and tough from whistle to whistle, but the Flames love to engage in stupid shoving and agitation after whistles, especially around the opposition crease. I suppose the Flames think that's what "truculence" looks like. I think it just looks cheap, and mature teams with real toughness won't get distracted by that stuff. Tkachuk is the worst culprit. Maybe he should work a bit more on his fitness, to go along with his "truculence". He looked gassed in the 3rd and OT.

I liked how the Jets have handled the cheap stuff this season, without overreacting and just sticking to the task of winning.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Fairly entertaining game. Both goalies really good. Tight game of relatively mistake-free hockey. Good road win.

Let's keep an eye on the scoring, but not worry yet. Plenty of chances were generated by the Jets.

PLE had their best game of the season. Ehlers drawing penalties and took an extra elbow to the face for good measure. Really good game by the Dane.

Laine was good too. First line had their chances, but not their best game. By far better than earlier road games, so that's a good sign at least.

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
I do, too. But I'm old enough to remember watching games where it was painfully obvious that both teams had decided to play for a tie, often with half a period left in the game.

My preference would be to eliminate three point games. They should play two overtime periods, 5 minutes each, of 4 on 4 hockey. If nobody scores, each team gets a point. If one team scores, they get two points and the loser actually loses, zero points.
Or just bring in the international system with 3 points from regulation win and two from OT/SO.

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
We've come a long way from
N6dvS1x.jpg

We harassed the Flames the way people harass us.
As a kind of goalie myself, I feel for Mason on that situation. :help:

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
That's such a great interview. He wasn't talking to the press for the longest time, and he comes back with that interview, worth a whole season's of generic interviews.

“If you get demoted in your job you’re going to be pissed off,” he said. “Being sent down is getting demoted. There’s no way of sugar-coating it. It sucks. I was pissed off. There’s still days when you come to the rink and you’re still pissed off that you’re down there.”

Zero problem with anything said in that interview.
Depending who he's pissed of with. With himself - fine, he kind of should be (although I think the subpar defense used to be our biggest problem earlier on). But the interview seems to paint a picture that he thinks it's just ownership's fault that he got demoted. Like he, himself had nothing to do with it. That paired with the fact he hasn't given any interviews earlier this season just doesn't sound that good.

Reactions: ERYX and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Good road game from the Jets , love the Little , Frenchie and Ehlers line . I know it's only 1 game but Connor was not very good and i would like to see Armia get a chance with Wheeler and Laine , no I'm not related to Avgard. :laugh: 2 really good hits for the Jets , one by Buff and one by the ref . :laugh:

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Depending who he's pissed of with. With himself - fine, he kind of should be (although I think the subpar defense used to be our biggest problem earlier on). But the interview seems to paint a picture that he thinks it's just ownership's fault that he got demoted. Like he, himself had nothing to do with it. That paired with the fact he hasn't given any interviews earlier this season just doesn't sound that good.
I am not reading the Hutch comments like many of you are.
He is speaking situationally.
I hope he can succeed here.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Any chance hutch gets a 1 or 2 year extension at around 1 mill per? We can't rely on mason. His inconsistent play and unfortunate concussions don't scream great plan B

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Hutch has earned a promotion with his play, but he's got to be pretty deluded to think he deserved to be up with the Jets at the beginning of this season.
This. He stunk up the joint so bad last year when we needed him that they burnt Helly out as a result cause they couldn't play Hutch. He should have been in AHL this year. He's earned the recall with his play, is a better option then Comrie at this point, so kudos to him for sticking with it and earning a potential contract elsewhere next year.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
matchups-2018-01-20-2017020711-WPGatCGY.png

Laughing hysterically at how incredibly one-sided the matchups of the top six lines ended up being.

It's remarkable that Gulickson played Hamonic so much against the Little line. (I've read a lot about Hamonic written by Dellow this year and it's not pretty denying zone entry)

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It's remarkable that Gulickson played Hamonic so much against the Little line. (I've read a lot about Hamonic written by Dellow this year and it's not pretty denying zone entry)
He looked shaky and SLOW. The latter may be due to Ehlers slicing the Flames' defense at will, though.

Some Calgary fans have suggested that Brodie and Hamonic are awful together. Gio and Hamilton may just be too good a pairing to split them up and change things up (cf. CSW-ELL this year).

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
HF folk are a fickle bunch..because we all know goalies are voo doo and doo doo.

First Hutch is clutch
Then not so much...

Hellesaviour
Then Hellesuck...
Now Hellesaviour again...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Canucks have given the Jets trouble this season. I keep expecting the Sedins to look washed in these games but they played great in both their games against us and it sounds like Horvat is back in today's game so they will have 2 dangerous lines. Really wish Lowry was back so Mo could hard match the Sedins with him but I guess the Little line will have to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad